No period still!

Options
So background on me. I struggled with an eating disorder for about six years where I have lost my period. With coaching I have increased my macros to 105 p, 75 f, and 185 c. I have not eaten this much in years and have never felt better. My weight has creeped up slowly but Shirley to what I originally started which is 110 pounds and I am 5’3”. I’ve always been on the petite and so I think this is pretty much my baseline of weight give or take 5 pounds. I have yet to get my cycle back and desperately want to start a family. Any thoughts suggestions on how to get a cycle.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Another voting for consulting with a medical professional.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It can take time. You put your body through very bad things, and stressed it out.

It's also possible that you still don't weigh enough or eat enough for your *body's* needs. You don't get to decide what your body needs.

Do you have a physician on your treatment team? You need to talk to them.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It can take time. You put your body through very bad things, and stressed it out.

It's also possible that you still don't weigh enough or eat enough for your *body's* needs. You don't get to decide what your body needs.

Do you have a physician on your treatment team? You need to talk to them.

This. I was never anorexic, but I had to work with a reproductive endocrinologist to figure out a weight that would allow me to ovulate. I thought I didn't ovulate because of PCOS, but it really was because of weight even though I was within a normal BMI.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I would second the thought that it may take some time. You didn't mention how long you have been at the weight you are at? If it has only been a few months, you may just need some time.

One thing it helps to remember is that it isn't just not getting enough calories that is an issue with eating too little, but also having too few nutrients. These nutrients are used for everything in your body, from building your muscles, to fixing cellular damage anywhere in the body, to creating hormones and enzymes, you name it.

And once you ARE at a good weight, with enough calories, and the nutrient levels are up as well, the body is going to spend some time, well, essentially fixing all the damage that has been caused by the low nutrient levels, if that makes sense? Like, cells that didn't get repaired can be repaired now, certain hormone levels might increase, etc...

Some things will heal/change quickly, some will take some time. I have not had an eating disorder, but I had a medical disorder that severely limited my ability to absorb nutrients. For that, at least, it took 6 months to a couple years to get everything back to a good place.

Also, I have a sister in law who had a problem that involved too low iron, obviously something that could have been a potential issue for you (I do not know what nutritional deficiencies or lack thereof you had, obviously) - her doctor gave her warning about making sure her iron levels were tested - and up to a certain level - before getting pregnant or it could literally kill her, because the pregnancy takes so much iron in the beginning, so quickly, that if your levels are still very low, it can be deadly (not exaggerating on this - she was honestly warned that she needed to be 100% certain she couldn't get pregnant because the risk was so high).

I know certain other vitamins, like folate and vitamin D, can impact the pregnancy as well, potentially BEFORE the pregnancy, even. Truly, like some have said, I too would highly recommend talking to a good doctor, especially about your nutrient levels, to make sure you are back up to good levels, just to be the safe for you and your new itty bitty.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    smal48 wrote: »

This. I was never anorexic, but I had to work with a reproductive endocrinologist to figure out a weight that would allow me to ovulate. I thought I didn't ovulate because of PCOS, but it really was because of weight even though I was within a normal BMI.

Seconding this experience - I also got diagnosed with PCOS after my period stopped but after a couple of years of being healthier (not bulimic) and putting on a bit of weight my period returned.
    I’m also 5ft 3 and when I was 110lb I still didn’t get my period. It came back very quickly when I hit over 8 st (112lb) and I’ve had 2 kids since then with no probs whatsoever.
    So you might just need to put on a tiny bit more weight, even if you had your period before at 110 lb. As you get older you prob just need to be a bit heavier. Best of luck!

2lbs is all it took for me too! - I also second your comment about age changing things because I got pregnant with my first son at 8lbs less.