Carbs did me dirty?

Options
Last weight-in I hit a 5 pound swing in the wrong direction.

Instead of coming in 3 pounds down from the last weigh-in I was 2 pounds up.

Food logging and exercise was accurate, well below calorie in/out. I was flummoxed until I sat down and reviewed my actual diaries and noticed my carbs for a week were significantly higher than usual given I had traded out Oatmeal for breakfast instead of the usual eggs.

A little more poking around nutritional forums showed that cards like that can cause water weight gain. Either I've forgotten carbs can do that to you, or it wasn't well covered years ago in lifting magazines.

But, yea, damn carbs. :smiley:

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuations are normal. pay attention to the whole trend as opposed to 1 data point.
  • Over40GettingFit
    Over40GettingFit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, that's a really good list. Thanks :)

wgdi25gsjzrc.jpg

• Over40GettingFit
    Over40GettingFit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Much like the Spanish Inquisition, I wasn't expecting such a wild swing when I stepped on the scale, especially when reviewing the logs and not seeing any unusual uptakes in sodium.

In another frame of mind, after a month's worth of work it would have been enough to make me say, "Screw this, it isn't working," and go binge on something tasty.

But, yea, definitely better ways to handle it these days :)
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Water, not fat, so why worry? :)

I don't think drinking more water will help much with carb-related water weight (which will depart once the carbs are fully processed), but it can help with sodium-related water weight.

But really, people shouldn't be trying to game their bodies in order to manipulate water weight (in ways that are not doctor-directed). Water weight fluctuations are part of how a healthy body functions. Best understand that and avoid stressing about it, eh, OP? :)