This takes patience!

Options
17 days ago I was excited because I had dropped under 200. Since then my lowest had been 198.8. Most days my weight would fluctuate. A little under 200 or a little over but no real change. I was beginning to think this wasn't working, that I was doing this for nothing. I was bummed! Today I just got out of bed & I'm 197.6!! It is working, hooray!!
Just here to say Don't give up. Take it a day at a time. You will see progress even if it feels like a snail's pace sometimes! 😃😃😃

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    keenest37 wrote: »
    Especially when your husband sits next to you with a big bowl of ice cream and then a bag of chocolates and he's not fat!!!

My husband is also trying to lose some weight but he can do so on calories that are above my current maintenance calories! It sucks so much even if I do realize he is in fact a male and is 6'2" hahaha. I'm a short female with a huge appetite though :D
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I guess that's hard for me. I've always been sort of all or nothing. Either I have to exercise every day and watch everything I eat or I eat pretty much whatever I want & don't think about exercise at all. I'm hungry a lot! I salivate reading recipes or thinking about food. I need to work on it!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    keenest37 wrote: »
    Especially when your husband sits next to you with a big bowl of ice cream and then a bag of chocolates and he's not fat!!!

A bit of a sidenote, but there's numerous kinds of low calorie ice cream options out there, no reason why you can't enjoy ice cream when he does :) I really like Halo Top, especially their 'Pops' bars-the strawberry shortcake one is amazing!
    https://shop.halotop.com/collections/pop-pack

• gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

NovusDies wrote: »
    I also think it takes some mental discipline. You can't spend a large portion of your day thinking about weight loss. You have to focus on living and being happy because weight loss happens too slowly to be obsessed with it.

When I have found myself thinking about it I purposefully shift my focus to something else. I kept training myself until now I can forget about it until I need to do something weight management related.

Some people celebrate mini milestones and that is an effective system for them. I don't. I ignore all of it as much as I can. I accidentally lied to a neighbor last week and told him I had lost 10 pounds less than my true total because the number I told him was the last one I remembered seeing and registering. Now maybe no one else needs to be that extreme but I love it because I was always too obsessed in the past and it always helped lead me to failure.

ETA: The reason that was the last number I remembered was because I don't update MFP on weight very often and it was the number I saw on the MFP start screen.

This is so true!! Thx for the insight! I get obsessed thinking about it too much.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Living in the tension between extremes is a valuable life skill -- not only with respect to weight management. I also have greater success moderating myself when I give it less energy to start with.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the wait to see results, it seems losing 1 lb a week makes it difficult to maintain motivation for me. I'm really active when I'm not at work - the part that takes discipline for me is putting the fork down. Today was a small win, I walked past the birthday cake at work for May Birthdays. I'll treat myself with something sweet about once a week, but it's going to be something well worth the calories.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I’m a normal BMI and am trying to reduce my body fat/lose some vanity pounds. It’s taken me three months to lose 8.6 pounds with consistent weighing, logging and exercise. Patience, indeed!
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, a lot of patience! I've lost 33 pounds total, 23 of which from this past September. I have 10 pounds to go. It's .5 pounds a week, so maybe 1-2 a month. I get a new low weight once a month, generally (unless I'm sick with norovirus, which did happen a few months ago). So slow and steady wins the race!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I’m a normal BMI and am trying to reduce my body fat/lose some vanity pounds. It’s taken me three months to lose 8.6 pounds with consistent weighing, logging and exercise. Patience, indeed!

Yes! I am in "normal" range but on the high end of it. It took me 9 months to lose 10 lbs, and then I plateau for 4 months before it starting slowly going down again.

Once I hit plateau wall I worked on changing my mindset. I am a "normal" BMI (so even the messed up metric doesn't think i'm overweight), time to work on fitness. Told my brain as long as i maintained consistently I was still winning.
  • chrissy66mc
    chrissy66mc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, it takes patience! I've lost 8 pounds in a short three weeks and then,.....nothing. Been stuck on the same weight for 3 days now. Not anything up or down and I ran 3 miles, walked 3 miles, whatever. The scale didn't budge. Plus, I stayed below my macros. It's easy to think at this point: this isn't working anymore. But, it is! I LOST 8 pounds! And I will lose more, if I'm patient. My advise: DON'T GIVE UP! Even when nothing is showing up on your scale. You're still in better shape then when you started.