Estimated weight loss?

Options
kirky2mfp
kirky2mfp Posts: 20 Member
When you complete your diary does mfp take into consideration what you've eaten or just the calories? I'm 2 cals under my goal today and yet it's estimated that I will weight 11lb more than I do in 5 weeks.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Just the calories. When it comes to weight loss/gain/maintenance, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • kirky2mfp
    Options
    That's what I thought. Not sure why it's saying I will put on weight though if I'm only 2 cals under my calorie goal.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a glitch to me. If you've told MFP you want to lose, it's giving you a calorie goal based on a deficit. So if you're eating under those calories, it shouldn't be telling you you'll gain. In fact, even if you're slightly over, you should still lose, just a bit slower.

But the 5-week prediction is pretty bogus anyway. I mean, that would only be true if you ate exactly the same way every day and exercised exactly as much.
  • kirky2mfp
    Options
    Thanks. I'll put it down to a glitch and see what happens tomorrow
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Is your goal maintenance? If not, this makes perfect sense.

Lets say your goal is to lose 2 lbs a week (7,000 calories per week). You should therefore be at a 1,000 cal per day deficit. If your TDEE is 2,500 calories, your calorie goal is 1,500 per day (net -1000 calories). Therefore, if you are at 1,498 calories you are both a) 2 calories under your daily goal and b) going to be ~10 down in 5 weeks.
  • kirky2mfp
    Options

Lets say your goal is to lose 2 lbs a week (7,000 calories per week). You should therefore be at a 1,000 cal per day deficit. If your TDEE is 2,500 calories, your calorie goal is 1,500 per day (net -1000 calories). Therefore, if you are at 1,498 calories you are both a) 2 calories under your daily goal and b) going to be ~10 down in 5 weeks.

No not at maintenance. Trying to lose weight. My daily goal is 1200cals. But when inlogged being 2 cals under for the day it estimated that I would gain 10lbs not lose it.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That estimate when you complete your diary for the day is totally useless. Just ignore it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

That really makes no sense to me. Her goal is 1200 calories to lose weight. This is less than maintenance. She ate 1198 calories which is even more below maintenance than 1200. For her to say she would gain 11b in 5 weeks, eating at a deficit has to be nothing but a glitch. That is nearly 2 pounds a week, which would equate to eating close to 1000 extra calories a day.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Just so you know completing your diary for the day serves no purpose other than to give you that message. The other thing to know that message is so wildly inaccurate that it's practically meaningless.

I stopped 'completing' about 2 weeks into using the app one and a half years ago.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kirky2mfp wrote: »

No not at maintenance. Trying to lose weight. My daily goal is 1200cals. But when inlogged being 2 cals under for the day it estimated that I would gain 10lbs not lose it.

It normally does not even give an estimate if you are under 1200 calories because that is considered the safe red line.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Did you make a typo when logging your weight? I know I sometimes type 143 instead of 134