Meal timing with workouts

Options
Jflowwers
Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
I’m trying to to figure out my meal timing around my workouts. My google searches have produced different answers. Some say fasted in the morning, some say eat an hour before for energy. What’s the most effective to burn fat? What about when I’m just strength training? I recently tested my blood glucose as an experiment after orange theory and it was sky high, while before was in the low 80s. Would it be logical to assume I should then wait a while to consume food after a work out? I have played around with interment fasting and am still on the fence, have also been doing clean Keto for two months and losing next to nothing :(

My workouts consist of

Morning orange theory
Afternoon strength training
Evening vinyasa yoga

But I know the timing of my meals are off because sometimes I feel low energy, sometimes I feel to full and burpy. I would like to create a consistent schedule! Thanks all!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you are testing your blood glucose because you're diabetic, then you need to check with your doctor about your glucose levels and eating patterns.

If you're not diabetic, then meal timing is personal preference. It does not have a noticeable effect on athletic performance unless you are a competitive athlete, other than the fact that some people feel better eating before a workout and others feel better working out fasted.

You should experiment with different approaches to eating and working out to see which ones make you feel best. Some options include a meal several hours before a workout, a snack soon before a workout, a meal or snack soon after a workout.

None of these approaches are any better or worse for burning fat. Fat loss requires only calorie deficit. Eating "clean," keto, and IF are also all personal preferences that do not do anything special for weight loss.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Assuming the you are working out now, and eating, how is your current schedule working out? If there are no problems, continue. If there is some difficulty, change to address that difficulty. Are your difficulties consistent? If so, the answer should be an easy find. If they are not consistent, yet your schedule is, the problem may not be with meal timing.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Training fasted is a preference. It doesn't burn any more fat eccentially than training while having something to eat beforehand.

Fat loss is achieved by eating in a caloric deficit.

For optimal performance for strength training it's a good idea to consume something light that is easily digestible and balance macros to break a fast such as sleeping at night. Something in the lines of protein shake, banana, or steel oats can be decent options.

Post workout eat something reasonably well balanced and when you're hungry. There isn't s window you must hit. Eat when you're hungry.

There is zero benefits to the keto diet other than perhaps adherence for some people. You still have to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. There is plenty of evidence of this. I would also argue that Keto diet is suboptimal when it comes to strength training when compared to a well balanced diet.