Working out with RA

Options
Anyone here have any tips or tricks to maintaining a “normal” fitness life while dealing with rheumatoid? I am in the process of being diagnosed (though they strongly believe it is indeed RA) and I am trying to find more low-impact ways to work out. I’ve picked up swimming, and I would like to do some strength training intermittently... also thinking of doing a more anti-inflammatory diet (heavy on the keto side).
Thoughts?

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I can't speak from experience but my complete layperson, un-expert, armchair advice would be to just do whatever you are capable of doing without discomfort and you find enjoyable.

You're already swimming which would have been my go-to suggestion but cycling would also be quite low impact and just plain walking is great.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have RA.
    When my disease is well controlled, I can do anything.
    I swim, bike, jog, and lift weights. I used to lift barbells but now I have damage in my wrist so I use dumbbells but I still lift heavy.

There is no reason to alter your exercise routine once the meds put you in remission. In fact, motion is lotion. The more you exercise, the better you will feel.

As far as diet, I actually feel better when I eat high carb low fat. You will have to figure out what works best for you.
    Definitely try an elimination diet. I have found that I am gluten intolerant. That one change has been huge for my RA. I am also triggered by dairy, soy, and legumes. Food sensitivities seem to go with the disease.

I have had RA since 2009. You can live well with the disease.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    There is no reason to alter your exercise routine once the meds put you in remission. In fact, motion is lotion. The more you exercise, the better you will feel.

In addition to this, lifting heavy and building muscle are critical. RA has a nasty tendency to cause rheumatoid cachexia, which is a wasting of the muscles; loss of lean body mass is an important predictor of just about every form of morbidity and mortality. Eat your protein and do your squats.

• liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    liz0269 wrote: »

In addition to this, lifting heavy and building muscle are critical. RA has a nasty tendency to cause rheumatoid cachexia, which is a wasting of the muscles; loss of lean body mass is an important predictor of just about every form of morbidity and mortality. Eat your protein and do your squats.

Very good point. I have struggled with the cachexia myself. I need to consistency lift heavy and eat higher protein.