Options
2»

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    No
  • Hi,

You might need more protein and healthy fat in your diet. Try eating half an avocado a day or a tablespoon of flaxseed oil (it's really great for strengthening hair)

I have had fine thin hair for a long time and since I joined myfitnesspal, I've been doing everything I can to take in all the recommended fat and protein every single day (fat through avocados, sesame seeds, almond butter and flaxseed oil - but not all in one day) and I've noticed a difference, albeit moderate, but I've only been doing this for a few weeks.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Were you breastfeeding? Did you recently stop? My hair started falling out shortly after weaning my son. Hormonal thing. It's tapering off now after a couple of months.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Take a good iron and vitamin supplement along with your diet.

It is very hard to get all the good nutrients you need...even when you are not trying to lose weight...oh and calcium also... i just remembered by nails get a little bit bitty.

You can buy them at the supermarket or health food shop.

As for the baby stuff..it is usually when you are pregnant that you get probs with hair and bad breath/teeth (for the same reasons)
  • Honey1990
    Options
    if you arnt already you need to start taking a multi vitamin. this happend to me a few years back and i ended up with a fairly large bald spot the size of a quarter on the top of my head because i wasnt getting enough of the nutrients that my body needed. but ever since i started taking a multi its grown back and i havent lost anymore other than normal shedding.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    In my experience hair loss = poor eating. As in, not getting enough protein, nutrients in my my died. Also, it happened when I wasn't eating enough. I'd suggest upping your protein and start taking some vitamins. And seeing a doc, it might be something else and you should def ask a "real" person.

Yep - this.......but not knowing anything about you or what your diet looks like we can't make these calls......in the past if I was very rundown or stressed I would also shed more hair than normal...it sounds as if your body might be under some sort of stress - either missing certain foods or something else.....so I would have a good look at the big picture...

I have lost more than a 100lbs over the past year doing it with healthy eating and exercise and my hair / skin has never been healthier - so it is not just because you are losing weight.....

Good luck - hope you find the answer soon.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    my hair is super thick and is still super thick, but i feel like i'm gonna be bald tomorrow with the amount that seems to be falling out. it is hot and it is summer time...so i figure i'm just shedding...i need a good brushing.
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Try a fish oil supplement. As my body fat % decreases, I lose a little more hair. It's nothing alarming, but I shed a little more than usual. I also notice it is seasonal, so think about that too. Try not to stress. I find it hard to believe that you're actually "malnourished"

Thank you for this, I really feel like I am eating the best possible foods.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I did have a baby a year ago. I guess I was stumped because this did not go on for so long after my first born. I'm hoping that is the cause.

after a year you shouldnt be over-shedding anymore (your body does hang onto hair longer while pregnant and breastfeeding though)
    If you arent already try taking prenatal vitamins for the extra folic acid, and where as I dont think you are malnourished we try to cut so much losing weight, you might need some healthy fats
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This has happened to my sister, and her doctor said it's very common as someone loses weight to lose their hair. He also said it adjusts itself after a while, and it should start coming back in regularly. I've noticed mine is getting a little thinner, too, but I think that just means my stylist won't have to thin it out next time I get it cut!
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    I looked at some of your older pictures and I can see that your hair does look thinner than before (as long as it isn't just a light of something I'm seeing on your default). Have you ever had your thyroid checked? If your TSH is too high or too low, it will cause your Thyroid to work incorrectly and one of the symptoms is hair loss. I have Hypothyroidism and my hair used to fall out pretty badly before I started taking medication.

It could also be normal hair loss after having your youngest child, depending on how recently that was. If your baby is older than around 8-9 months, I would check with your doctor. Also, watch your diet to make sure you are getting enough healthy fats and protein, as this could lead to hair loss as well. Consider taking a multivitamin to help strengthen the hair follicles, too. I hope you get some answers, because it is not typical to lose hair as you lose weight from my knowledge.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    my hair is super thick and is still super thick, but i feel like i'm gonna be bald tomorrow with the amount that seems to be falling out. it is hot and it is summer time...so i figure i'm just shedding...i need a good brushing.

Lol you should see the wall in my shower when I get out (i would need a plumber weekly if I let it all go down the drain)

I also notice with my curly hair the hairs I shed naturally tend to get tangled so it feels like Im losing everything when I wash it and brush it out
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have thin hair , I always have but when I diet or stress it gets thinner but taking a good multivitamin and eating the right foods help. I am anemic so iron is my go to mineral . Eat your greens !! B vitamins and Iron should help
    Good luck :-)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My son is 14 months old. Our bath tub looks like a yeti went though it with the amount she loses.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    bump I have hair loss as well :(
  • heathermnrd
    Options
    i would go talk to a dr. i had the same problem last summer and the dr thought it was malnutrition but when they did blood tests they found out i have lupus...which also causes hair loss. not saying thats what wrong with you but atleast youll know what nutrients your lacking after bloodwork and rule out it being anything else
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This makes me want to go get blood work done...
    Ive been losing my hair too. I take vitamins and fish oil and my diet is mostly healthy foods. I eat around 1300 cal a day, but I also exercise 6 days a week (and dont eat my cals back)...that could be it too. AND I also have PCOS (which causes balding), but have had it for years and I am on birth control. Seems to be gettin worse. I also have thick hair to begin with so its not noticable to others...but I have flooded my basment before bc of clogged pipes :embarassed:

I guess I would see a doc
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    You're not alone -- I've been struggling with my hair falling out for several months now. I take pills for hyperthyroidism but see my endocrinologist every 3 months so my levels are good. I eat far healthier now than I ever did in my life. BUT during the same period of time that I lost my 30 lbs, I also had an abdominal hysterectomy (major surgery) and then was thrown into surgical menopause. I've been to both my gyn and my endo about my hair, and they both pretty much just looked at me and pointed out that my body suffered several shocks at one time, and that generally about 6 months or so after the stress is when the hair loss kicks in. I'm taking a multivitamin and a biotin supplement (at the advice of my gyn), and using Rogaine (!) at the advice of my endo. My hair loss has finally slowed down to a manageable level and I'm showing some new growth. It has been really stressful for me, though.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    take a multi-vitamin possibly an iron thing also agree with epoint might not be a hyper or hypo thyriod thing but its prob. an endocrine thing (hormones) i haven't really lost any hair but its also a symptom of pcos (polycysctic ovary syndrome) i see an endocrinologist as well
  • mikeyv1
    mikeyv1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need more protien, aminos, and a multi vitamin!