Hair Loss? Help!

Options
kirdyq
kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
I've been exercising daily each morning at 5am since January 1st. I usually exercise 5 out of 7 days a week on average. I do the 21 day fix program from Beachbody. It's about 30 minutes a day when I do it. Then about 3 of those days, I do the 10 minute ab program that is part of 21 day fix.

I eat very healthy. I probably eat around 1500 calories a day or so. I take a daily multivitamin, Daily Vitamin D (I have a slight deficiency as found per blood tests at my doctor), I take a supplement that is for hair and nails, and I also take a scoop of vital proteins collagen each morning in my coffee.

My hair has never been so thin in my life. I do think I have some damage that happened due to balayage highlights and then some heat damage on top of that. I am going to the salon next week to see if my stylist thinks it is more a breakage issue or a thinning issue.

But it's never looked so sad. The main change I can think that has happened since this started was the daily exercise. My eating habits have been very very consistent for about a year and a half now. So I don't feel that is it.

Have any of you experienced this? Have you found anything to help thicken your hair back up, if so?

Replies

• kirdyq
    kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    On average I'd say I eat 1500-1800 a day. I keep track in this app.

I started out last Memorial Day at 150 pounds, and now I am at 130 pounds. I have just very gradually lost the weight.

I am 39, 5 foot 8, and hover around 130.

I do eat plenty of protein, lots of veggies and moderate amounts of carbs
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I started shedding like a *kitten* right around 40. Added to the fact that some people do lose a little hair in a deficit and that could be it.

I can't think of any reason exercise would cause thinning hair. I hope your stylist tells you it's just breakage and you just have to wait it out!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of hair when I was losing weight also. Turned out I needed an iron supplement even though it was the “low end of normal” my doctor tried it out and it helped a lot. (It has unfortunate gastrointestinal side effects though so definitely talk to your doctor about this!!)
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I had that happen too but I was eating a lot lower than you.
    Maybe eat at maintenance for a few months and stop losing until it gets normal again?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you have damaged hair and are washing it every day you might find it breaking more and you losing more. If you aren't washing it often, you might find it doesn't look as good because of sweat and salt buildup.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Did anything else change besides just the weight loss? E.g. did you change shampoo or any other hair products, change medications, have a baby or maybe stop breastfeeding (hormone change), start showering more often (because of the gym) etc?
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Blood work and a dermatologist visit. I have been through this. Also had 50 mg of zinc into your diet in conjunction with your hair supplement if it doesn’t already include it. Nutritional yeast tablets are also a great source of b complex. It also could be telagin efflivium which is just the shedding cycle starting pre maturely sue to a shock on the system (weight loss) it is self resolving albeit very frustrating.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    There is a boatload of stuff that can cause hair loss. Sleeping with an eye mask over your eyes, sleeping in between two pillows, not washing your hair correctly, not conditioning your hair, using a lot of chemicals in your hair, physically mishandling your hair (twisting, pull, rubbing towels on it), not appropriately brushing your hair and/or using the wrong brush or comb, wearing the same hairstyle, thyroid or other medical problems, and weight loss. In your position I would:

1. Learn how to correctly shampoo, condition, and towel dry your hair. You probably think you know, but might not. Just spend a few minutes reading up, the worst thing that happens is you wasted 5 minutes affirming in your own mind you already have these things down.

2. Learn how to comb and brush your hair.

3. Learn how to style your hair differently every day, if you are long haired and wear your hair up in the same style over and over.

4. Change or reduce chemicals you use in your hair.

5. Learn how to appropriately use heat on your hair, if applicable to you.

6. Consult a doctor for blood work. If you have a medical issue, this is where it will show up.

7. Examine how fast you are losing weight and your macros.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I posted this on a maintenance board recently! Mine isn't feeling thin or looking thin in the mirror, but I am shedding a lot more than usual. I averaged 1.2 lb of weight loss per week since December, and I've been maintaining at 1600+ (some days I'm not even counting anymore), and just the last week or two I have noticed more hair shedding in my brush, in the shower, when I blow-dry. Honestly, I'm wondering if it's hormonal and not related to weight loss because I've also been having quite a *time* with PMS symptoms as I get older, and I turned 37 this year.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kirdyq wrote: »
    I've been exercising daily each morning at 5am since January 1st. I usually exercise 5 out of 7 days a week on average. I do the 21 day fix program from Beachbody. It's about 30 minutes a day when I do it. Then about 3 of those days, I do the 10 minute ab program that is part of 21 day fix.

I eat very healthy. I probably eat around 1500 calories a day or so. I take a daily multivitamin, Daily Vitamin D (I have a slight deficiency as found per blood tests at my doctor), I take a supplement that is for hair and nails, and I also take a scoop of vital proteins collagen each morning in my coffee.

My hair has never been so thin in my life. I do think I have some damage that happened due to balayage highlights and then some heat damage on top of that. I am going to the salon next week to see if my stylist thinks it is more a breakage issue or a thinning issue.

But it's never looked so sad. The main change I can think that has happened since this started was the daily exercise. My eating habits have been very very consistent for about a year and a half now. So I don't feel that is it.

Have any of you experienced this? Have you found anything to help thicken your hair back up, if so?

What other deficiencies did your blood work test for? Iron and iodine deficiencies can also cause hair loss. Despite being anemic for 30 years, I have to specifically request I be tested for iron in my yearly labs, so don't count on it having been done.
  • kiela64
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I lost a lot of hair when I was losing weight also. Turned out I needed an iron supplement even though it was the “low end of normal” my doctor tried it out and it helped a lot. (It has unfortunate gastrointestinal side effects though so definitely talk to your doctor about this!!)

@kiela64 I have no gastrointestinal side effects with https://smile.amazon.com/Solgar-Gentle-Iron-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B00013Z0QA/

(Others - don't just start supplementing with iron without getting blood work done first.)

Thanks for the tip! It used to be covered but my insurance changed so I have to buy it anyway might as well get something better.
  • kiela64
    Options
    kirdyq wrote: »

What other deficiencies did your blood work test for? Iron and iodine deficiencies can also cause hair loss. Despite being anemic for 30 years, I have to specifically request I be tested for iron in my yearly labs, so don't count on it having been done.

^ this. And also in my experience I’d had my iron checked several times and it was technically in the normal range. However when I told my doctor about the hair loss she only then told me it was at the very bottom of the normal range, so only then was it discussed. You need to tell your doctor your symptoms because it’s not always going to be clear if you just ask for something to be checked.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

@kiela64 I have no gastrointestinal side effects with https://smile.amazon.com/Solgar-Gentle-Iron-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B00013Z0QA/

(Others - don't just start supplementing with iron without getting blood work done first.)

This ! I started taking an iron supplement without a test and it made things worse, mainly because I wasnt iron deficient in the first place....

When I did do blood tests, turns out my D3 levels were completely MIA and I was peri-menopausal *sniffles*.

I am blaming hormone brain #denial

P.S Sorting D3 out sorted an awful lot
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Also have your doctor test you ferritin along with your iron. Ferritin controls your bodies ability to absord and use iron effectively. A few years ago I had all the classic signs of anemia, but my iron was well within the normal range. Luckily I have a wonderful doctor who suggested we test the ferritin as well and sure enough that was very low. Basically meaning I have enough iron but my body just isn't absorbing or using it correctly.