Doing weights with back pain

Options
I’ve somehow managed to injure my back from sitting down! I’m not used to sitting for long periods at a time but had to stay seated for three hours when I went to watch a show last week and ever since then my lower back and hamstrings have been in agony.

I definitely won’t do anything high impact like running until it’s healed but not sure about weights? I love doing weights so really don’t want to miss too many sessions. Not sure if dropping the weight and doing high reps might be better until my back feels better?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If your back has been hurting for a week for no apparent reason, I would get it checked out.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hamstring tightness from sitting for long periods of time can cause lower back pain, but that's usually when people are sitting all day, every day not just for a few hours. Back pain can be caused by many things, including issues with other body parts such as your legs, hips and knees. Nobody here can really know what is causing it and therefore nobody here can safely tell you whether or not you can lift. Your best bet is to see a physiotherapist.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    No weights. Stretch! Or go see a physiotherapist/masseuse. Many muscle injuries need specific targeted solutions to resolve them. You have to gently move those muscles so they can heal without stiffening up or ripping.

I've torn a muscle in my back. I highly recommend doing anything to avoid it. It actually was the worst pain I've ever been in, worse than my cracked elbow or that time I broke my hip after tumbling into a thorn bush.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Foam roll
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I’ve somehow managed to injure my back from sitting down! I’m not used to sitting for long periods at a time but had to stay seated for three hours when I went to watch a show last week and ever since then my lower back and hamstrings have been in agony.

I definitely won’t do anything high impact like running until it’s healed but not sure about weights? I love doing weights so really don’t want to miss too many sessions. Not sure if dropping the weight and doing high reps might be better until my back feels better?

While I can get back pain from sitting in a less than optimal chair for too long, it never lasts for hours, let alone a week, so suggest you get it checked out.

Meanwhile, try foam rolling.

I do NOT recommend the $15 Gold's Gym ones Walmart carries and do recommend a sturdier one like https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040EGNIU/
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to foam roll, there is a right and a wrong way. You should not directly roll your lower back because if it is an issue with the mechanics (muscle, discs, spine) then you can further aggravate it by laying in a position where the back is arched. You can try foam rolling your hip flexors and glutes to see if that helps. Personally, I wouldn't roll or stretch anything until getting it checked out. A PT will be able to pinpoint the issue and give you exercises you can do safely.
  • MoniqueHoltman
    MoniqueHoltman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If your back has been hurting for a week for no apparent reason, I would get it checked out.

It’s still not right today so will def get it checked out, thanks!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    Hamstring tightness from sitting for long periods of time can cause lower back pain, but that's usually when people are sitting all day, every day not just for a few hours. Back pain can be caused by many things, including issues with other body parts such as your legs, hips and knees. Nobody here can really know what is causing it and therefore nobody here can safely tell you whether or not you can lift. Your best bet is to see a physiotherapist.

Going to try and find a physio now, thank you!

• MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    No weights. Stretch! Or go see a physiotherapist/masseuse. Many muscle injuries need specific targeted solutions to resolve them. You have to gently move those muscles so they can heal without stiffening up or ripping.

I've torn a muscle in my back. I highly recommend doing anything to avoid it. It actually was the worst pain I've ever been in, worse than my cracked elbow or that time I broke my hip after tumbling into a thorn bush.

Ouch that sounds very painful, hope you’re ok now! Rest is probably the wisest choice, will also go and get it checked out. Thanks!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

While I can get back pain from sitting in a less than optimal chair for too long, it never lasts for hours, let alone a week, so suggest you get it checked out.

Meanwhile, try foam rolling.

I do NOT recommend the $15 Gold's Gym ones Walmart carries and do recommend a sturdier one like https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040EGNIU/

Will give this a go, thanks!

• MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    If you do decide to foam roll, there is a right and a wrong way. You should not directly roll your lower back because if it is an issue with the mechanics (muscle, discs, spine) then you can further aggravate it by laying in a position where the back is arched. You can try foam rolling your hip flexors and glutes to see if that helps. Personally, I wouldn't roll or stretch anything until getting it checked out. A PT will be able to pinpoint the issue and give you exercises you can do safely.

My hips do feel very tight so think it could be related to that as well. Thank you, will definitely go and get it checked out!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've done my lower back in by something as simple as sitting down a few times as a result of hamstring issues. Physio. Use topical ibuprofen gel for targeted relief to help you move more freely, but move gently. I also found that avoiding flats in favour of a slight heel (up to 1.5"-2", but ideally 0.5"-1.5") relieved pressure from my back, allowing the muscles to relax more.

The last big back problem I had lasted for about a week. I would have to get up carefully and get ibuprofen gel on it quickly as even sitting down on the toilet would send it back in to spasm.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor and then probably a physio. I have a desk job and for a while would get random twinges and pain in my back which would stop me weightlifting. Saw a physio who established that the route of my problems came down to the fact that my hamstrings needed strengthening. Since I've done that, I've had no issues *touch wood*.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hope youre able to find someone to take a look into it! As a rookie when i first started weight training i aggravated unknown sciatica and carried on deadlifting and squatting for close to 6 months before it got too much and i went and saw a physio. Turns out my hips are a little wonky and it was pinching my sciatic nerve!
    fingers crossed its something minor and you're able to find a way to either get rid or work around it.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Go to a doctor, do not pass Go, and do not lift weights. I have injured my back just sitting down for a few hours (though I had a prior history of back problems) and the way back to health is physical therapy exercises, yoga, foam rolling, maybe a chiropractor, and time. For some people, it's even more than that like surgery. The road to a healthy back after injurty is not with lifting weights.

I will say my physical therapist had me doing unweighted squats, though not at first. It can help to work the glute muscles. But you'll need a professional to diagnose you, and a professional to make a reasonable plan to get you back to healthy.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour rotating shifts from days to nights and I sit for the majority of that shift monitoring computer screens. I would suggest going to see the doctor first to make sure you don't have any underlying problems. Then I would set a timer and try to stand up or move around for 10-15 minutes per hour. We convinced our corporate office to install a desk we can elevate so I stand for 1 hour and sit for 1 hour throughout my shift. I even set a timer so I don't forget. Definitely don't lift weights until the doc gives you a clean bill of health though. Best of luck!