Can you really eat what you want?

Options
danparamore
danparamore Posts: 15 Member
I just had a panini and chips and whike it was within my calories, I may count ut as a cheat meal

Can you really eat what you want, no matter what it is, and lose weight?

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes you can and this is the main reason why I have been able to adhere to my "diet" for going on a year and a half now.61 pounds down and counting. Just make sure you are weighing everything you can and logging accurately. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    In short, yes.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Last night I had dessert which was a large banana sliced, about 1 cup of yummy chocolate peanut butter ice cream topped with crushed chocolate special k.

It fit in my calorie goal and I don't consider it a cheat at all. I'm down 45 pounds. I would never have been able to be on this weight loss path long term if I didn't figure out how to eat foods that I enjoy while losing weight.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Well, if you wanted to eat 40 pounds of uranium, you'd probably die heavier than you weighed in the morning.

Otherwise, for things reasonable to eat, within calorie limits, sure. As long as the energy value of what you take in is less than you use staying alive, the energy has to come out of your body's stores.

How would you imagine it working otherwise? Where would the material to gain weight come from in these potentially "forbidden foods of fattening"?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I can’t. I am close to goal and only get 1300 calories a day to lose .5 a week (more when I exercise of course) so a lot of what I want to eat will leave me hungry or immediately put me over my daily calories. I choose foods I enjoy - I’m not eating anything I don’t like - but I have to choose caredully to properly nourish my body and feel full.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, yesterday I had m&m's, and today I'm having crispy chicken with fries. It fits in my calorie budget, so I'm having it.

If I want something and it will push my over my calorie budget, then I'll either exercise more and cut out food elsewhere, or I'll say, "ok, today I'm going over and it will be fine" then get back to discipline for the next 6 days.
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    All in moderation. ^^ And this!!!
  • _faedreamer
    _faedreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had half a portion of decadent apple crisp with vanilla ice cream and caramel syrup yesterday. It was within my calories for the day (I was actually under by a couple hundred even after the dessert), and I was down .4 lbs this morning. It wasn't the healthiest use of my calories yesterday, and I could have had way more food for that amount, but it didn't and won't derail my progress as a one time thing.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I had pecan pie last night for dessert and a pain au chocolat this morning. It was all within my calories. I still try to make sure most of my food is nutrient dense, but I eat what I crave as well.
  • PiscesMan123
    PiscesMan123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have always liked the philosophy that 80% of weight loss takes place in the kitchen. Once you figure out your goal, you can determine the number of calories per day that will help you be successful. For me; 1500 works. There is much to learn about portions, nutrition, etc. and MFP provides the best tools for that. Especially, tracking. Tracking what you eat is very effective. You will be surprised by how many calories are in a serving and how small that serving can actually be. It helps me to knock down an extra 500 calories, which now gives me 2000 for the day. If I don't get the extra 500, then I don't GET to eat 500 more. You will find foods that work great...single serve popcorn and sugar free pudding with skim milk have been helpful. You will then, after time start to pay attention to other nutrition facts, like sodium. One step at a time. Welcome to the community.