First proper bulk in ages

Hi guys!

So i'm starting a bulk on Monday. I haven't run a bulk in a good 2 years. Not a proper one anyway.

I have had various periods of stopping tracking and eating all the foods and therefore gaining the fats, but that's not counted as an actual properly tracked bulk.

So, my question is, should I?:

* measure all my bits (as in bum, arms, etc) every week?
* track weight daily like when I'm dieting?

The answer is probably yes, but hey, humor me. I'm bored at work and I haven't posted in ages, so if you have any advice whatsoever go ahead and give it to me.

BTW - I gain fat with extreme ease because I find it very very easy to overeat. I HOPE that I get decent muscle gainz too this time around because i'm committing to serious program and gym time and not just faffing around eating food and not working out consistently. I have a goal, hence the more driven mindset this time.

I have set a very slight surplus and intend to take it from there depending on amounts i'm gaining or if i'm maintaining. I doubt very much any losing will be happening.

I do struggle with the mindset of watching the stomach get fluffier and fluffier. It makes me want to stop every time and start to lose again. Which is why I haven't run a proper bulk in ages - I start to and then I get too fat for comfort and stop again.

Any tips for that? The too fat for comfort bit?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yay for the bulk! :)

Personally, I take measurements every month or every few months depending on how I feel. I don't see too much difference if I take them too often so I don't bother. I do take progress photos weekly/every other week and I pay attention to how I look in the mirror.

I weigh daily and track my trend weight which has personally helped me tremendously while bulking (for me also because I don't track my food, but I would recommend you do that which I would imagine you are).

For me I wear stretchy pants, and since winter is coming up for you big sweaters and all that can help hide fluff. Out of sight out of mind can work (provided you aren't in denial about gaining oto much fat or anything!) and focusing on the good... back, leg, glute and arm gains and that huge boost in gym performance! The thing that keeps me going... do I want to look the same as I did before, or do I want to grow and progress? If it's the latter... I gotta stick with the program no matter how uncomfortable. Fat will come off, but this is my chance to build.

Good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Why don't you follow the same principles of the "good" bulk two years ago. Seems you already have the data/answers if mirror it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited May 2019
    I second taking measurements every 4 or 6 weeks... gain is size is very slow so from week to week most weeks wouldn't notice any change (maybe 0.01 inches or something), which could be measurement error or growth??

Are you changing up your workout routine for the bulk?
    Recovery is easier in a bulk, so you can up the volume and or load.
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    In terms of dealing with fat gain... This is an area i was concerned about. That was until i read something along the lines of "i see guys cutting before they even have any muscle to cut into" and i thought, hey that makes sense. So accept a bit of fluff, build the gains, then strip away the fat and maintain as much of that sweet sweet muscle as you can. Theres absolutely no point in yo yoing up and down in weight. Commit, see it through and there you go. Best of luck
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yay for the bulk! :)

Personally, I take measurements every month or every few months depending on how I feel. I don't see too much difference if I take them too often so I don't bother. I do take progress photos weekly/every other week and I pay attention to how I look in the mirror.

I weigh daily and track my trend weight which has personally helped me tremendously while bulking (for me also because I don't track my food, but I would recommend you do that which I would imagine you are).

For me I wear stretchy pants, and since winter is coming up for you big sweaters and all that can help hide fluff. Out of sight out of mind can work (provided you aren't in denial about gaining oto much fat or anything!) and focusing on the good... back, leg, glute and arm gains and that huge boost in gym performance! The thing that keeps me going... do I want to look the same as I did before, or do I want to grow and progress? If it's the latter... I gotta stick with the program no matter how uncomfortable. Fat will come off, but this is my chance to build.

Good luck!

Hm. Maybe fortnightly measurements for starters then. Or one measurement at the beginning and one in 6 weeks' time. This is a 6-week cycle i'm going on so I want to see what happens during this particular period. Perhaps laying off the measuring tape and waiting until the end of the cycle will be best.

And true re the jumpers LOL! Just means I have to get more loose ones instead of all my tight ones!

Progress photos definitely.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    I second taking measurements every 4 or 6 weeks... gain is size is very slow so from week to week most weeks wouldn't notice any change (maybe 0.01 inches or something), which could be measurement error or growth??

Are you changing up your workout routine for the bulk?
    Recovery is easier in a bulk, so you can up the volume and or load.

Yeah I have a hypertrophy program worked out. Plus extra work on my lagging body parts.