Sugar Addict -Help

Options
I love sweets - especially anything chocolate. I have been having an awful time staying away from them. I have no self will. I rationalize my choice by telling myself I have done good today and am under my calorie goal or I have done good all week. I am getting very frustrated. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love and have to have chocolate just about everyday. I stick to dark chocolate (usually Hershey's kisses) they are easier to count and I just log it everyday. Just like a glass of wine fits in my calories. I make it fit.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    So are you still under your calorie goal when you've logged the chocolate?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    nancyrohrs wrote: »
    I love sweets - especially anything chocolate. I have been having an awful time staying away from them. I have no self will. I rationalize my choice by telling myself I have done good today and am under my calorie goal or I have done good all week. I am getting very frustrated. Any suggestions?

If you're under your calorie goal, why can't you have some chocolate? While losing and now that I'm maintaining, I saved 100-200+ calories for a treat every day: chocolate or ice cream or kids cereal or Oreos, usually.

You don't have to eat 100% virtuous or diet food to lose weight. In fact, being overly restrictive just makes it harder to succeed. If there is a very specific foid, like garlic potato chips or M&Ms, you might want to keep them out of the house for awhile, but there's likely no reason to cut out all sweet treats or chocolate!
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ok, just my two cents. I don’t personally *believe* in sugar “addiction” per se (because I’ve never found myself eating straight sugar out of the bin during a craving) BUT I have an extremely difficult time moderating sweets. It is easier for me to have NO chocolate than one piece. So my solution (for me) is just to not have it in the house. I’ll eat it on special occasions but as a regular pet of my day, it doesn’t work for me. Some people are different, and you have to find what works for you.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Ok, just my two cents. I don’t personally *believe* in sugar “addiction” per se (because I’ve never found myself eating straight sugar out of the bin during a craving) BUT I have an extremely difficult time moderating sweets. It is easier for me to have NO chocolate than one piece. So my solution (for me) is just to not have it in the house. I’ll eat it on special occasions but as a regular pet of my day, it doesn’t work for me. Some people are different, and you have to find what works for you.

I agree...I think there are two camps: The one camp can have a small amount/treat each day and leave it at that. Others couldn't do this and end up eating/craving sweets all the time and end up eating way too much. Just deciding it's just something you don't need and is not doing you any favors.

You probably know who you are. If you are the later, you'll find having fruit to be SO sweet. You'll really notice the natural sweetness in foods once your taste buds adjust.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate everyday in moderation and fit it in my diary! I use it as a treat after busting my butt at the gym. I also eat a chocolate protein bar if the cravings are strong. It's just a matter of balance of your log. Good Luck and don't deprive yourself in any way!😉 my log is public and anyone who wants to be friends send me a request!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I agree...I think there are two camps: The one camp can have a small amount/treat each day and leave it at that. Others couldn't do this and end up eating/craving sweets all the time and end up eating way too much. Just deciding it's just something you don't need and is not doing you any favors.

You probably know who you are. If you are the later, you'll find having fruit to be SO sweet. You'll really notice the natural sweetness in foods once your taste buds adjust.

Eating more fruit helped me reduce cravings for things like candy, cookies, cakes, etc. . . . but I don't think fruit tasting very sweet is a characteristic of people who must eliminate sweets vs. can moderate them. Many calorie-dense but nutrient-poor "treats" (cakes, cookies, candy) do taste overly simplistic and too sweet to me after eating less of them, but I was never someone who had to have them ("addicted") or needed to completely eliminate them while losing weight. I ate less of them while losing weight, but only because they weren't worth the calories they "cost", for me.

That whole "cracker test" thing is pretty much nonsense. (Yeah, I know no one but me brought it up. But I'll bet a lot of people know what I'm referring to.)

OP, you might try increasing your routine consumption of whole fruit, within calorie goal. It doesn't help reduce cravings for other sweets for everyone, but I've seen other people here say it helped them. Many whole fruits have very manageable calorie content, plus fiber and lots of micronutrients.
  • nancyrohrs
    nancyrohrs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input.
  • sarahhinkle20
    sarahhinkle20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It might depend entirely on your motivation for why you are trying to cut out sweets/sugar/chocolate. If it's not a really good reason your brain probably will try to get it into your life one way or another. You might have to be totally convinced in your mind that it truly isn't something you want in your life before you will find you have the "willpower" to say no to it. My belief is that a lack of willpower usually points to a feeling of internal conflict, like wanting two opposing things at the same time.
  • shaddowleaf
    shaddowleaf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating sweets for a month and now they are waaaaay too sugary. I get really grossed out when I think of eating them and when I do try them, which is once in a while, I get a stomach ache. I replaced them with fruits! yuuuuuuumm! 😊 But that's just me. I hope this helps!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You can have chocolate. Just be choosy about it. Go for dark and good quality. I like Green & Black's 85%. You'll find just a couple of squares will satisfy that chocolate craving (pair it with a few strawberries for a real treat) and it's good for you, too.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i eat chocolate 1-2x a day. at first i had to buy things that helped portion control but things have improved so i can have a larger variety in the house now (took mannnny months).
  • LivinLikeLivia
    LivinLikeLivia Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hey, I have the same problem and am currently trying to deal with it. I like chocolate a lot too and have had a past of binge eating when I starve. This year i've decided that is going to change, if you find yourself craving chocolate make room in your meals and add a morning healthy chocolate smoothie or a snack such as chocolate pudding (You can try vegan recipes, they are very healthy alternatives). Don't punish yourself for wanting to eat a certain meal that is not good if you want to make this a lifestyle it will ultimately get to you. Have some chocolate just in a healthy way.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Eating more fruit helped me reduce cravings for things like candy, cookies, cakes, etc. . . . but I don't think fruit tasting very sweet is a characteristic of people who must eliminate sweets vs. can moderate them. Many calorie-dense but nutrient-poor "treats" (cakes, cookies, candy) do taste overly simplistic and too sweet to me after eating less of them, but I was never someone who had to have them ("addicted") or needed to completely eliminate them while losing weight. I ate less of them while losing weight, but only because they weren't worth the calories they "cost", for me.

That whole "cracker test" thing is pretty much nonsense. (Yeah, I know no one but me brought it up. But I'll bet a lot of people know what I'm referring to.)

OP, you might try increasing your routine consumption of whole fruit, within calorie goal. It doesn't help reduce cravings for other sweets for everyone, but I've seen other people here say it helped them. Many whole fruits have very manageable calorie content, plus fiber and lots of micronutrients.

Yup, if I'm in the mood for something sweet, I keep a bowl of fruit in the fridge, and will just grab something from there. Green grapes are my favorite - a small handful will usually do the trick.

But if not, I always leave room in my budget for some chocolate.

Because chocolate. B)