Benefits of Drinking Water and how much should you drink????

Options
2»

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Thanx for posting!
  • healthygirltx
    healthygirltx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is great - thanks for sharing!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have a 30oz cup that I will fill up 2/3 with water and 1/3 cranberry juice or fill it up 100% with water and add one of the 16oz Propel Zero packets so that it's diluted. I've found that has helped me get my recommended amount, and it's a lot easier when I only think of it as a couple glasses of water instead of OMG! FIVE GLASSES OF WATER?!

Since I'm newer to actually paying attention to this stuff, are there any cons that anyone can see to my method? Is the cranberry juice or Propel going to take away from the water in any way?
  • jpatter21
    jpatter21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks!
  • perkins2011
    Options
    I drink 9 glasses a day and since i started drying 9 glasses i sweat more while exercising and it keeps me cooler! plus i just feel better!!!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you on this one. For the last 20 years water is the only beverage I consume other than my one cup of coffee in the morning. Even when we go out to dinner I'll have a seltzer with lemon cause I don't drink tap water. I have a water cooler in my kitchen and a stack of five gallon jugs always waiting for me. It's the best thing for your body.:drinker: I usually average about four 16 oz bottles a day at least.
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i drink my water to catch up to you 1/2 the time.......and normally i can't drink as much as you. but, i also read/heard somewhere that:::

drinking lukewarm water BEFORE a meal, helps your stomach feel fuller faster
    drinking cold water AFTER a meal, helps your stomach start digesting the food faster

thanks for always being inspiring girl!
  • nadohs
    nadohs Posts: 7
    Options
    I read that you are supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces.

So if you weigh 180 lbs. and take half your weight which is 90 lbs., then you should drink 90 ounces of water per day.

Also, after about 3 weeks, the peeing need goes away as your body gets used to the increase.
  • sittoojo5
    sittoojo5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    wonderful post!
  • xtroidanarymachine
    Options
    Wow... Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for when wanting to "quench my thirst" for knowledge on water. I have heard all or these things before of course, but to actually hear it come from someone who has succeeded in doing what you have, and coming from an x soda junkie (as I presently am), means more than just hearing the experts say it. Thank you! Great post! :drinker:
  • Taralmh
    Taralmh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    according to your post, I sshould only dring about 75 oz of water a day...I drink 150+
    am I killing my body? I love water especially with Mio in it. I have all 6 flavors. Yum yum :drinker:
  • jodie0520
    jodie0520 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I have always known that I need to drink water (I have a problem with UTIs) and I can usually get in the habit of drinking water for a week or less but then ultimately fall into my habit of not drinking water.

A few of my problems with water:

~I hate having to go to the bathroom so often, at my work my boss always gives me the dirty eye when I use the bathroom and leave the phones to answer themselves for 2-3 minutes. When I drink enough water I go to the bathroom ever 30 minutes (Is this how often you are going to the bathroom? Is this a normal frequency?)
    ~I always forget to drink water during the day. I have my water bottle right next to me at my desk but I get zoned out in work that I forget to keep drinking. I get lazy when my water bottle is empty and don't want to go fill it up.
    ~I get tired of drinking so much water, it has no taste and doesn't provide caffeine which I do get from soda and energy drinks.

However I've decided I really need to get back in the habit. For some reason water is easier and maybe more enjoyable to drink out of straw so I need to bring my water bottle with the straw back to work with me. I have really bad calf cramps during the nights and lately they have started appearing more often. My boyfriend mentioned its because I wasn't drinking enough water and I ignored him, guess I can't ignore him anymore.

Thank you again.

With your weight:water estimates I should drink about 72 oz of water.
    I'm going to start counting the water in my diary and not leaving the count to my head.

Numbfant, I totally agree with you (on all counts). I was going to suggest a straw until you added that. I would suggest you try some of the water flavor packets. Some have natural sweeteners (truvia/splenda) if you don't like aspertame. I usually add 1-2 of those in the mix, especially if I'm having water with a meal. They have so many flavors, you're sure to find some that suit your palate. Teas, juices, kool-aid type flavors....they have them all. Of course, good ol' plain water is best, but those things def help me to reach my goal.
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee non-stop all day and in the last 4 or 5 months have made the switch to water. It makes a huge difference in my energy level, I'm more alert, less sluggish, my muscles don't get as stiff as they used to after a good workout, and I don't get tired during my workouts the way I used to. It didn't happen overnight but I now drink usually between 8 - 12 cups a day...I keep water in my car all the time as well, so I have no excuses.

The best added benefit for me is the extra calorie burn, running to the bathroom so many times each day...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Scoobiesnax/view/30k-midsummer-night-race-experience-139545
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    Great post! I especially enjoyed reading everyone's responses since tomorrow I'm drinking 100 ounces for a MFP friend that is celebrating his 100 days here.
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Water, Water, Water... Cheers:drinker:
  • AwesomeSauce4
    Options
    bump...:drinker:
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to drink much more water than I used to. Most drinks I used to have were of the Diet Coke variety, but I haven't drunk that for a long time now. I also like green, peppermint and other forms of tea as well.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AwesomeSauce4
    Options
    Bump...