Couch to 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I started this week! I don't like the app I'm using though so I am hoping some of you might have suggestions for a better one? I'm willing to pay and use iOs.

I'm slow as heck but sound like I used to walking up stairs when I was over 300lbs so it's definitely a good workout.

I did not use an app. I downloaded the free NHS podcasts and listened to the British girl tell me when to walk and when to run.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I did not use an app. I downloaded the free NHS podcasts and listened to the British girl tell me when to walk and when to run.
    [/quote]

Yes! You can get it through podcast
    She was great.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/nhs-couch-to-5k/id394384987?mt=2
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 tomorrow. I should be farther along but I have had to repeat weeks a few times to get my endurance up as I have awful shin splints and have a hard time breathing while running.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 tomorrow. I should be farther along but I have had to repeat weeks a few times to get my endurance up as I have awful shin splints and have a hard time breathing while running.

Take your time and repeat as needed. If you haven’t already, get fitted at a running store for shoes. It makes a big difference on the shin splints. Also run slowly. Very slowly. Give your body time to adjust.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

As emmamcgarity says, for shin splints try a pair of shoes that have been fitted to your feet. It makes all the difference.
    Also, if you feel as if you haven't got the stamina and endurance to finish a session, try slowing down. You may be (probably are) running too fast for what your body can tolerate at this time. Run as slow as you can for now. Speed will come with time.
  • lukeruss
    lukeruss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I graduated about 3 years ago then because of injuries/like stopped. I have just started again. Get a good playlist and just keep going but if you really hate it find something new
  • beckymoorebecca
    beckymoorebecca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Week 4Day 1 done yesterday! Couldnt believe i did it. It was a slow run but i didnt need to take a break through the run.
    Delighted 😁😁😁
  • Nasthaa
    Nasthaa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did my week 2 run 1 this morning. I am NOT a natural runner at all, and I currently hate it. But I hate my reflection even more!
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nasthaa wrote: »
    I did my week 2 run 1 this morning. I am NOT a natural runner at all, and I currently hate it. But I hate my reflection even more!

What kind of exercise do you like? Why don't you do that instead? That's the only way you will stick with it.
  • MattO229
    MattO229 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey you and anyone else here is free to add me. Im on week 4, UK based and hoping to lose another 2 stone by next year.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

There are many very effective forms of exercise that don't involve running. Why not try something you'll enjoy instead of torturing yourself with a form of exercise you don't like?
  • emmamcgarity
    Options

I’ll admit I was not a fan of running when I first started c25k. My whole body hurt and I procrastinated each run. But after a several weeks I began to feel empowered. I began to really enjoy it. I really had no idea I would like it. My goal was to see if I could do it at my age. The game changer for me came after I had conquered the 20 minute run in week 5. A few short months ago I would have considered this impossible. Go slowly. You might feel differently in a few weeks. But if you’re truly miserable running there are lots of other ways to stay active that you may enjoy more.

• jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There is a C25K group on here. Check it out. There are a few active members. I am currently on W3D2.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Restarted today!
  • melm1903
    melm1903 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    great to see so many people doing it and so many different stories!!

I'm not the greatest running fan but i think it's because i've always found it too hard and i must admit it's SLOWLY getting easier. I am due to start week 4 on Saturday and am nervous about the 5 minute run but i am loosing weight and i feel a sense of accomplishment with every run i finish!!!
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    So I completed the C25K program six years ago, and have continued with the running. I ended up taking a long break over the past year and am back into my base building, but not using C25K for that. I maintained running long enough to not really need the program. The best tips I can give are:

~Trust the program, but repeat weeks if you feel you need to. Each week is going to push you past your comfort zone. That is the whole point. There is a lot going on in your body when you start running. And just like every other sport out there, you need to push your muscle fibers and body past comfort zones so that it can repair stronger.

~Invest in good quality running shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted. No shoe fits all. A running store will watch you walk and run to see how you land on your foot. That will determine the type of shoe you should be using.

~Find a running group to go with. Look around your community for group runs. Making friends in the sport will help you maintain the lifestyle. The running community is, for the most part, a very open community and we welcome new people with open arms.