Need help understanding

Options
So I log everything I eat. I consumed 600 calories yesterday (I know that’s not good, I’m recommended 1690) but when I woke up in the morning I had gained 2.6 pounds? I didn’t drink much water either that day. Again it was a bit of an off day for me. I don’t understand about the weight fluctuations. I weigh myself every morning with no problem until today and I’ve been doing this for 3 months now.

Replies

• twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In a day I can gain atleast 6lbs.
    I don’t have scales at home so when I can weigh myself it’s never first thing in the morning.
    Personally I go off how my clothes feel and keep in mind how much water I’ve drank or if I’ve eaten too many carbs or salty foods the days before.
    The scales are just numbers but it’s easier said then done to just think of them as that, it’s like the numbers control how happy you are with yourself, if your 2lb less then you feel great and everything’s working but gain 2lbs and you feel like all the hard work if for nothing.
    This is why I try not to weigh myself often, it’s not good for anyone’s mental state.
    Keep up your hard work!!
  • rexasaye
    rexasaye Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I just need help understanding why I have gained weight because I’m not clued up on all aspects of weight loss. Also how can I get an accurate reading of how many calories I have burned? Especially when using exercise machines like the stationary bike?
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Here are some reasons:

Water weight - even though you didn't drink much your body can hang onto water from other forms, especially if you increased sodium or carbs

Undigested food

Variables in the weigh process - time of day, different scale, different clothes, different scale location, scale batteries

Hormone fluctuations

Less water intake - your body may hold on to the water you do drink because it knows it needs it.

Your weight is not static so it will vary during the day and from day to day. A simple few pound increase on a day or two is not a trend. It's simply a single snapshot in a series.

Consume at a sensible deficit, review your trends and don't worry about a day or two or several with higher readings. It's the things you do long term that matter.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    rexasaye wrote: »
    I just need help understanding why I have gained weight because I’m not clued up on all aspects of weight loss. Also how can I get an accurate reading of how many calories I have burned? Especially when using exercise machines like the stationary bike?

Please. Step back. 600 calories is not a way to live. If you ate 600 calories, you didn’t gain any weight in a day. Only other explanation is it’s water. I don’t know that you will get answers to your questions regarding why you retain water when you do, or an accurate calorie burn unless you are wired up in a laboratory.

But you can lose weight without that. Try working week to week. Keep accurate records of your intake and exercise. The numbers don’t have to be laboratory spot on to work. But they do have to be consistent to make week to week comparisons. You can be your own laboratory.
  • rexasaye
    rexasaye Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation! It just annoys me due to the fact that I don’t really eat more than 1000 calories a day that’s why I couldn’t understand how I gained it. Seen as your weight fluctuates throughout the day, when should you weigh yourself?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @funjen1972 explained it well but heres a great thread to explain fluctuations: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why#latest

I can fluctuate up to 3lbs from day to day, its normal for everyone to fluctuate for reasons already stated.
    Weigh in first thing, before eating, after bathroom. Use a trending weight app i.e happy scale or libra and that will average the trends so you can pay less heed to the daily numbers.

600 cals a day or less than a 1000 is worrying! I hope this is just guess work on your behalf and you are really eating more than that or you are going to affect your health in the long run. 1200 is the MINIMUM for women, 1500 for men.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    rexasaye wrote: »
    Thanks for that explanation! It just annoys me due to the fact that I don’t really eat more than 1000 calories a day that’s why I couldn’t understand how I gained it. Seen as your weight fluctuates throughout the day, when should you weigh yourself?

does not matter as long as it's the same time of day and the same weight of clothes. most people prefer nakes first thing in the morning after going to the washroom. I do it before dinner (or around 4:30-5:00pm) fully clothes.

Your weight is NOT going to show a daily magically consistant rate of loss. EVEN if you did everything right. our weight fluctuates daily, weekly and month (especially women) based on random stuff we shoudn't worry ourselves over

Get a weight trending app, and don't get bogged down by the daily numbers, look at trends over time.

You are also greaty under eating. 1200 is the MINIMUM a short bed ridden adult female should eat to FUNCTION . You are probably not that short, not bed ridden PLUS you are exercising.

here is a guide on how to SAFELY lose weight:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal

and information why under eating is very very bad for your health
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter when you weigh yourself if you control the conditions to be consistent weigh in to weigh in. For nearly everyone, that’s easiest first thing in the morning.