Keto - Losing weight in Hong Kong - 2019

Options
apple852hk
apple852hk Posts: 210 Member
Hello!

I live in Hong Kong and want to lose weight eating a keto diet.

I'd like to make friends in MFP where we can support each other on keeping on track to lose weight.

If you don't follow a keto diet but are losing weight - please still reach out to me and share your experience.

I weigh 73g but I am aiming for 55kg. I use to be slimmer and weighed around 63kg. It's considered normal but very close to the overweight in BMI.

I started keto last week in May 2019.

I would be interested to see what you eat - so if you can share your food diary that would be a bonus

Apple in Hong Kong.

Replies

• shonajoy1955
    shonajoy1955 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are about what I am with your weight and goal. I found Keto worked but still needed to track on myfitness pal or I would still eat over the recommended Kjls/cals. Make sure to alter the carb, protein, fat %s on your home page. I did lots of research on google with regards to Keto and found there is a lot you can eat and enjoy, you just have to be creative. I lost 6ks but because I'm a real carb addict got easily tempted. I'm back on Keto now and once you get through the first few weeks you will find it reasonably easy to follow. Good luck I started keto again last week, down 1kilo already.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,806 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er....Feel free to add me ...would love to support you on your journey :)
  • clairechinn3
    clairechinn3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I’m from the UK and on the start of my Keto journey. Trying to find out as
    Much info as I can and easy meal plans to follow.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi new keto'ers... you can request to join our closed MFP group https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
    There are just short of 60,000 members - started in Nov 2011 - lots of different styles - from low carb 100g/daily to 0g carnivores. We are very supportive and there is a lot of information and help on our boards.
  • apple852hk
    Options
    I am a keto'er....Feel free to add me ...would love to support you on your journey :)

Added you and sent a friend request. Thanks for the welcome and reaching out
  • apple852hk
    Options
    Hey, I’m from the UK and on the start of my Keto journey. Trying to find out as
    Much info as I can and easy meal plans to follow.

Hello Claire,

Happy to hear you are starting your keto journey too!

I watch a lot of Ally McWowie on YouTube as she has lost a lot of weight. She sharing what she's learnt and lots of insight. Her best advice is to see the fat as a fat LIMIT than a fat GOAL. - but of course when you first start, eat more fat.

This is my 2nd time to try keto. It's much easier this time, as I don't eat the fat goal yet still don't feel need to eat all the time.

As for meal plans - I just ensure I have protein and veg for evening meals. How about you, what's your go to meals so far?
  • apple852hk
    Options
    You are about what I am with your weight and goal. I found Keto worked but still needed to track on myfitness pal or I would still eat over the recommended Kjls/cals. Make sure to alter the carb, protein, fat %s on your home page. I did lots of research on google with regards to Keto and found there is a lot you can eat and enjoy, you just have to be creative. I lost 6ks but because I'm a real carb addict got easily tempted. I'm back on Keto now and once you get through the first few weeks you will find it reasonably easy to follow. Good luck I started keto again last week, down 1kilo already.

Great news you just started and already lost 1kg - well done!

I just started keto for less than 2 weeks now. I felt tummy ache like I didn't want to eat - so I drunk some stock cube drink which helped. So this time (my 2nd attempt at keto) I didn't have leg spasms thankfully.

As I live in HK, it's hard to eat the basic keto of bacon, butter, asparagus, cheese. But pak choi is cheap and fresh steamed whole fish. I eat a packet of tofu unsweetened for dessert as it reminds me of ice cream - but high protein and low carb. But I tend to eat the same thing everyday with minor changes.

What foods are you eating? Similar meals a day or different everyday?
  • nrich86
    nrich86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've recently started following the keto diet during the week, more relaxed at the weekend. I temporarily tried reducing carbs and calories before and definitely saw the weight drop off then so thought there must be something to it. I noticed with other diets before that I always plateaued around 96kg, but since being "non-strict" keto I've smashed that plateau and am down to 92.7kg and dropping and that's in 2 weeks.

Finding recipes to try was the most difficult part, however there's a website called www.dietdoctor.com and it has loads of keto recipes so I spent some time and added a ton of their recipes to my list on here and have been working through them. What I've tried so far has been incredible. Does anyone else find that the keto food is absolutely delicious? I don't miss carbs at all when the food is this good. The chicken casserole is particularly good (https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-casserole). The only thing is that they can be a bit heavy on the cheese and butter front, but for me eating cheese and losing weight is like winning the lottery.

Finding food for work lunches is more difficult of course, but so far I've just cooked two portions of everything and brought the second with me to work. On the days where I haven't prepped before hand I've taken a couple of hard boiled eggs and some deli meat and a little tub of mixed low carb nuts, like pecans and brazil nuts and macadamias.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Do add me! I'm a moderate HFLC (keto) and have lost steadily until now. I suspect that I'll need to be stricter as I head into the final 17lb I really need to lose and the extra 5 I would like to drop after that.

Chinese food here in the UK looks to be quite high in carbs. Is that so in Hong Kong too? (I have noticed that real Chinese food isn't much like the kind served in UK take-aways but my Chinese sister-in-law tells me that much traditional food in her region contains sugar.)

I'm keen to try new recipes and new ways of following this way of eating. My son is a ex-chef - not at all over-weight - and keen on keto for athletic reasons. Keto isn't seen as a 'diet' in this house.
  • apple852hk
    Options
    Do add me! I'm a moderate HFLC (keto) and have lost steadily until now. I suspect that I'll need to be stricter as I head into the final 17lb I really need to lose and the extra 5 I would like to drop after that.

Chinese food here in the UK looks to be quite high in carbs. Is that so in Hong Kong too? (I have noticed that real Chinese food isn't much like the kind served in UK take-aways but my Chinese sister-in-law tells me that much traditional food in her region contains sugar.)

I'm keen to try new recipes and new ways of following this way of eating. My son is a ex-chef - not at all over-weight - and keen on keto for athletic reasons. Keto isn't seen as a 'diet' in this house.

Well done for losing the weight and keep going!

Hong Kong food is high in carbs but only because portions are large - since food is for sharing.

Turnip cake - dim sum is high in fat and carbs but you wouldn't eat a whole piece of the 3 slices per portion. But my problem is I would eat a whole slice. Just like the Char Sui BBQ steamed bun - I'd eat a whole one not half.

I'm just bad at portion control - and eat too fast. Keto has helped, as I eat mindfully. Convincing myself my body doesn't need more calories of food. How do you find being on Keto, has it changed how you view food?

Soon it's the Dragon Boat Festival and the rice dumpling celebration food is high carb extra - since it's made with sticky rice. Plus the pork fat. But I'd eat one dumpling which is like 800cal.

I'm not sure what region your sister in law comes from in China - but southern China food is not sweet but adds sugar for yin/yang principle. I always marinate my meat with sugar and soya sauce. Of course I'm eating fish instead now to limit carb and sugar intake.

I don't mind not eating rice with every meal. But its hard not to eat a bowl of soup noodles with toppings.

I can't think of just high fat foods eat - so I eat lots of egg and nuts which are affordable. What's your go to food?
  • goodasgoldilox165
    Options
    Low carb eating has really helped me. I've been doing it for just over a year and find that it has removed my craving for food and habit of always looking for the next thing to eat. Suddenly, I can be satisfied. (It is like losing a constant ringing in my ear!)

I can go back to eating a few unnecessary carbs on special occasions but find that as soon as I do, I will have that desire to eat again and again. I just accept that deviation is ok if enjoyed but that I must accept fighting with 'hunger' again for about 3 days afterwards.

I love cheese and eggs and nuts and seeds and cream (coffee with 'double' cream is a real treat) and butter and olive oil - so try to have all these things with lots of veg. I eat meat too and enjoy slow cooked lamb - fast cooked steak and all kinds of chicken dish.

My favourite noodle replacement is spiralised courgette. (It has to be done with fresh veg for me - the pre-spiralized stuff is horrible!) I make the courgette into spirals and then cook them in a pan with garlic butter for 3 mins. It goes very well with noodle toppings but also tastes good on its own (unlike 'konjac' noodles). I make it for me but the pasta eaters here usually want a share rather than their spaghetti :)
  • goodasgoldilox165
    Options
    nrich86 - I too like the diet doc site. The recipes are delicious!

I'm looking at mason-jar salads for work this summer. Making your own does leave plenty of room for putting together so good LCHF combinations and they seem to keep a few days so you can make a batch of them. Eating more green veg is always a good thing.

I also find 'frittata' - spanish omelettes (without the potato) a really portable feast. Again these can be made in advance and kept in a fridge. In the basic mix I like things such as cheese and onion - peppers- courgettes - aubergines - ham - prawns and chicken in them. I've even made some with celeriac instead of potato - it works very well and is filling.

• goodasgoldilox165
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hi new keto'ers... you can request to join our closed MFP group https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
    There are just short of 60,000 members - started in Nov 2011 - lots of different styles - from low carb 100g/daily to 0g carnivores. We are very supportive and there is a lot of information and help on our boards.

Thanks canadjiheh - I am one of the 60 000 too and find it a helpful forum :smile: