Logging accuracy, consistency, and you're probably eating more than you think.

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I used to do that. Pain in the rear! Grams into ounces, ounces into the serving size. Ugh.

If you manually enter the cottage cheese into "My Foods" with the grams, not only can you enter grams, but the option for One Gram will magically appear, so then you can just enter the 89 or whatever it is.

I did not know this. Thank you!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Could use a bump.
  • Germank106
    Germank106 Posts: 11 Member
    Everyone should read this. I'm fairly new to the forums and found, despite diligently logging, I tend to forget the small things like the extra cup of coffee (with milk), or the cheese I decided to throw in my salad at the last minute. And while I'm not above weighing out 3 oz. of chicken, I'm just as much under than over the amount and usually don't log the difference. I'm loosing weight at a steady rate, no plateau yet, but I'm thinking in the long run the not logging of food can add up to a lot of extra calories.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    I can see this to be possible and even very likely...
    A teaspoon of something for example, if you use a real teaspoon... teaspoons come in heaps of sizes, is it heaped or not (heaped would be twice as much as a teaspoon) etc...
    A cup of something can be almost impossible to measure.... because things are never chopped into a cup shape.

Plus the human mind would rather err on the side of delicious rather than sparse :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Rayman79 wrote: »
    Don't tell me I'm not logging properly, ya big potato head!

brb - have to kick start my metabolism with some African Mango extract and Raspberry Ketones cos I've been gaining weight while only eating 1200 calories a week...

LOL! I was thinking about you the other day dude. I hope you are doing well.

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Rayman79 wrote: »
    Don't tell me I'm not logging properly, ya big potato head!

brb - have to kick start my metabolism with some African Mango extract and Raspberry Ketones cos I've been gaining weight while only eating 1200 calories a week...

LOL! I was thinking about you the other day dude. I hope you are doing well.

I'm good thanks Patrick - it has been a while!

I might flick you a message rather than derail the thread, but it has been an interesting year or so, and I've had some learnings (and further questions...) that might be relevant to some of your clients around adherence, injury and sedentary work environments.

Right now I'm focused on a short term fat loss goal before heading over to Murica (California only I'm afraid) in April (where I will no doubt be stuffing my face with burgers and pizza >:) .
  • cessi909
    cessi909 Posts: 25 Member
    Fantastic information
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    tumblr_nenor5Ke291tfbtrwo1_400.gif
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,160 Member
    great thread. Thank you.
  • chris_in_cal
    Friday bump..
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Mid-July bump... :)
  • Marzetta42
    Marzetta42 Posts: 8 Member
    I am very accurate when I report...why lie your only hurting yourself if you can't be honest with yourself...
  • chris_in_cal
    Marzetta42 wrote: »
    ....why lie your only

I have an MFP friend who very blatantly tells..."When i eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's I just can bring myself to enter '1 container' I enter '1 serving'"

I kind of get it, but kind of don't.

My philosophy is if you aren't going to strive for accuracy, blow off logging the steamed broccoli and rice cakes, but be precise in logging the trigger foods. It is all about self-awareness and knowledge. Not online-appearance.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Mid-July bump... :)

Very timely of you!
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    I try to over estimate
  • chris_in_cal
    fantastic post
  • chris_in_cal
    I am still trying to be more accurate, and yet not increase the time and energy to track...accurate and simple.
  • Bedazzled35
    Bedazzled35 Posts: 51 Member
    I read a lot of posts on logging accuracy when I started out and took on board the various viewpoints.
    I guess, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you could get away with eyeballing and estimating and deal with the hassle of weighing everything later, when it matters more.
    Or (preferably, in my humble opinion) develop the good habits now that will see you through to goal and onto maintenance.