Should you workout even if you are sore??

I want hit the gym tomoz but my whole body is sore from upper and lower body days. I can’t even walk up and get down the stairs properly. Also i think I pulled a muscle in my chest arm area. I still wanna workout. Idk what to do.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Walk and stretch. It sounds like you overdid it. Scale your workout down a little.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    For me, it depends. I find that some exercise helps, but that's for DOMS, not injury.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Listen to your body. I work out on the rare occasion I get DOMS, but if I'm sore to the point where form is compromised I'll work around it or take a rest day. Also, its important to be able to distinguish between injury and normal soreness. If you think you pulled something I'd definitely take a day or so to recover.
  • robinannamalone
    robinannamalone Posts: 8 Member
    What is DOMS?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I want hit the gym tomoz but my whole body is sore from upper and lower body days. I can’t even walk up and get down the stairs properly. Also i think I pulled a muscle in my chest arm area. I still wanna workout. Idk what to do.

There's a big difference between being sore and injured. If you are only sore, you can usually work out if you have taken the appropriate rest for your execise. I've certainly worked out sore before. But if you are so sore that you don't think you'll be able to do the workouts well, then it is not worth it.

Working out injured is a completely different thing and definitely something you should not do. The chance of aggrevating it is high, and you can easily go from something that needs a few days of rest to something that needs several months. Not worth it to risk it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Whenever I start lifting I always get the MAD DOMS in my quad muscles at first and find that powering through the next workout sucks in the moment but seems to reduce the intensity and duration of the soreness overall.

Key thing is to correctly identify the pain as DOMS and not an injury, if in doubt err on the side of caution and recover.
  • HulkV2
    HulkV2 Posts: 32 Member
    I work through DOMS but if it's a soreness from an injury then no.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Working through DOMS for me always helps relieve some of the soreness. I’ve been sore for the past week but never repeated the same thing and incorporated yoga too
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    If you are so sore that you can't walk up and down stairs correctly, it's not likely you'll be able to do your exercises with proper form. Add that to the fact you say you think you pulled muscles and your just asking for injury. Wait until you're feeling better before working out again.
    Good luck!
  • PALMINADALESSANDRO
    PALMINADALESSANDRO Posts: 192 Member
    I'm super sore also..and have a chiropractor/massage appointment in two days....gonna push myself to hit the gym in the morning anyways lol