Do you weigh yourself whilst on your period?

2»

Replies

• Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Yes, I do. I'm another daily weigher. I go into it with the knowledge that I'm probably going to be up in weight for a few days. It's the overall downward trend I'm after anyway.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Daily. I mark it on a paper chart on a clipboard hanging above the scale. I have about two months' data on each sheet - it's super helpful because I can never just remember where I am on my cycle. It's saved me from potential accidents by reminding me to make sure I have some "feminine supplies" with me more than once!

It also helps keep me from excusing overeating. I can look back at the previous month(s) to see how much my weight fluctuated on or around my period and then compare that to the current month.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning regardless of if I have my period or went out to eat or there was a holiday that week. It is data on what is happening with my body that I can look at over time.
    My weight might go up 1 lb during my period due to water retention. I know this from weighing myself once a week for years. I know what normal for me is.
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    My period is accompanied by a 2-4 pound weight loss and much flatter stomach. I actually look forward to it. It's the several days before where my weight shoots up and I look bloated.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I'm a daily weigher and use a weight trending app (Libra) regardless of TOM, I know I'll see a spike and it can last for up to 10 days (think I'm peri-menopausal!) - its just a matter of preference.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    I definitely do and it's been interesting now that I'm on a birth control that causes me not to get them anymore. I still get the cravings and PMS but I no longer get a period or any of the cramps that go with it...it's been really odd.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2019
    I do. All days are skewed because you can't really tell how the body will handle water on any given day, and what really is your "true weight". Sometimes you can guess the fluctuations, but you can't really know. When I look at my weight as a range instead of a number, it's really easy to accept fluctuations regardless of the reason.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Anthem76 wrote: »
    My period is accompanied by a 2-4 pound weight loss and much flatter stomach. I actually look forward to it. It's the several days before where my weight shoots up and I look bloated.

That's the case for me too.
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    I way myself during my period, and the reading on the scale is usually "W-A-T-E-R : R-E-T-E-N-T-I-O-N".
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Definitely!

After about the fourth day, that's when my weight drops about 1kg.

Since my weight is higher for about 2 weeks before my period, I look forward to that. :smile:

(Logging food & weight daily 4 years, lost 35 kg, maintaining goal weight 3 years.)

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I weigh myself maaaaybe every two weeks or so. Basically whenever I remember.
    I'm not really aiming for a number goal anymore, though. I've begun lifting heavily on a daily basis so I know the scale is bound to change as I gain muscle. To me, that's discouraging, so I don't weigh.
    I've been in maintenance for about a year now and I use how my clothes are fitting to determine if I need to cut back on calories or not.
    I'm in a cutting cycle right now, to try and lose excess body fat and reveal more muscle definition, so my clothes are becoming looser and looser :) But the scale has not moved hardly at all. If I were basing my progress based solely on the scale, I would be so disheartened and would think I wasn't going anywhere.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    I weight just about every single day. So yes, I weigh on my period. In fact, my weight drops 1-2 lbs right as my period is ending, so I look forward to seeing that while I am going through my period.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Only time I don't weigh is when I'm travelling so I don't have my scale. If you weigh daily, after a couple months you will probably be able to see if there is any pattern in regards to your monthly cycle, and can mentally note that. Also zoom out and look at the big trends (over months) or use a weight trending app to help with that.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Perimenopause brings out the worst in me, weight-wise. From one day to the next, I could experience an 8-12 pound difference! Unfortunately, I don't want to try any hormonal treatments because they could trigger an ulcerative colitis flare. That is the long story of no, I don't weight myself around my monthly cycle (when I get it these days).