what am i doing wrong?? (open diary)

Options
Been trying to eat as healthy as possible and been busting it at the gym, to have a 1 kg (2.2lb) gain.... WTH?

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs, not enough protein. Also, have you been measuring yourself? If you've been doing strength training, it could be muscle gain. It could also be water retention.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs, not enough protein. Also, have you been measuring yourself? If you've been doing strength training, it could be muscle gain. It could also be water retention.

I know I am not getting enough protein, what are some good (cheap!) ideas but?
    I have SUCH a strict budget at the moment..
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Please tell me you are one of those people that just doesn't log veggies...
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    Tuna, eggs, some fish is pretty cheap.
  • melmck2011
    Options
    You're eating a lot of bread. This isn't the best when trying to lose weight. For more protein try fish, meats, greek yogurt and egg whites.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Tuna, eggs, some fish is pretty cheap.

I'm allergic to fish ...
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Try getting eggs, tuna, canned chicken, and peanut butter in your diet for easy cheap protein. I would also cut back to only 1-2 slices of bread per day. Having a budget to food shop with sucks I know! I try to buy things on sale, or we go to Aldi's a lot, they are pretty cheap, if you have one by you check it out.
  • nessajk
    nessajk Posts: 32
    Options
    Remember that (especially as a woman) your weight will fluctuate by a few pounds with water and your cycle. Mine goes up and down by about four pounds a week without me changing anything. It looks like you are eating a whole lot of processed foods and those are usually high in salt which can make you retain water, too.

Cottage cheese and yogurt (not the sugary or artificial flavored stuff) are good sources of low cost protein. Tofu is about $1.30 a pack. Hope this helps.
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    Are you maybe overestimating the amount of calories you are burning in your workouts? One day said you earned 1500 calories from exercise. That is a TON! Me running vigorously would have to keep it up for 2+ hours to burn that many.
    Not saying that you are, just wondering if that could be the case.
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    -Too many carbs (read: bread)
    -Too much processed food (fast food/pre-packaged/instant)

Try and encorporate more fresh foods (lean protein, vegetables and fruit) and switch your grains to whole wheat. That and patience. Don't ever give up just because the scale is moving slow. Imagine where it would go if you WEREN'T making the effort.
  • guineverantha
    guineverantha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try beans. They're cheap and healthy. Black and kidney are my faves. Add kidney beans to a salad.
  • guineverantha
    guineverantha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm sorry! :( I know that is very frustrating when you try and the scale doesn't move. But don't give up..
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    how many (much?) carbs is too much? how much should I/we be shooting for assuming I'm not training for the Olympics?
  • mare91467
    mare91467 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Your carbs seem high, and it looks like you are eating the wrong kind of carbs. If you were tracking your sugar, I think you would see that it is too high. Primarily your carbs should come from veggies, fruit and whole grain breads. Instead of white bread, try a whole grain bread. I really like the Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats. For one flat it is only 100 calories, and they are whole grain. I eat that with 2 tbp of reduced fat peanut butter every morning for breakfast. It helps with the protein, and tastes great with my coffee. :smile:
  • Juliebelanger22
    Options
    For dinner, how about making a vegtable soup!! They are easy to make and have very little calories. Add a mix of beans, Pois Chiche (don't know the english term), green peas and so on for protiens!!! For breakfast, how about oatmeal?? There are some low-calories option, but I would start off with the high fiber ones to keep full!...I see no veggies, so I'm assuming you are not adding them...if not, how about a bag of carrots with hummus( proteins)...or a mini-cucumber? ...I like to eat (a BUNCH) of tomatoes with pepper....for fruits I usually eat grapes for a snack...Hope this helps!!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For dinner, how about making a vegtable soup!! They are easy to make and have very little calories. Add a mix of beans, Pois Chiche (don't know the english term), green peas and so on for protiens!!! For breakfast, how about oatmeal?? There are some low-calories option, but I would start off with the high fiber ones to keep full!...I see no veggies, so I'm assuming you are not adding them...if not, how about a bag of carrots with hummus( proteins)...or a mini-cucumber? ...I like to eat (a BUNCH) of tomatoes with pepper....for fruits I usually eat grapes for a snack...Hope this helps!!

Pois Chiche is chickpeas
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies/fruits are cheap if you cannot afford fresh produce. :)
  • nessajk
    nessajk Posts: 32
    Options
    I looked a little more closely, and it is true that the only veggies you seem to be eating are peas and corn. Although they have some nutrition, they are pretty much the bread of the vegetable world, as are bananas for fruit. A lot of sugar but not as much fiber and nutrition.

I see that when you had takeaway Chinese food, you have only a few calories of white rice listed. Unless you actually only ate a half-cup (which kudos to you if you did) or less, it was likely a lot more.

All these processed foods are filled with corn syrup, salt, msg and other bad stuff that will thwart your best intentions. If you do try to switch to wheat bread, make sure you look for one that actually contains cracked wheat and not just wheat flour.

I'm sorry for your struggle. It's hard for all of us, or we wouldn't be here on MFP!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Are you maybe overestimating the amount of calories you are burning in your workouts? One day said you earned 1500 calories from exercise. That is a TON! Me running vigorously would have to keep it up for 2+ hours to burn that many.
    Not saying that you are, just wondering if that could be the case.

I was wearing a HRM and went for a 3 hour walk/jog (intervals)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I looked a little more closely, and it is true that the only veggies you seem to be eating are peas and corn. Although they have some nutrition, they are pretty much the bread of the vegetable world, as are bananas for fruit. A lot of sugar but not as much fiber and nutrition.

I see that when you had takeaway Chinese food, you have only a few calories of white rice listed. Unless you actually only ate a half-cup (which kudos to you if you did) or less, it was likely a lot more.

All these processed foods are filled with corn syrup, salt, msg and other bad stuff that will thwart your best intentions. If you do try to switch to wheat bread, make sure you look for one that actually contains cracked wheat and not just wheat flour.

I'm sorry for your struggle. It's hard for all of us, or we wouldn't be here on MFP!

I did only eat half a cup as I was not too hungry?