What’s everyone’s say on bagels?

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I love my bagels HEAPED with cream cheese, which makes it nearly impossible to fit them into my daily calories. Therefore, I don't eat them. But it's not because bagels are "bad."

Finally! Someone else like me. I get so much flak for the amount of cream cheese I put on my bagels. Bagels are just a tasty cream cheese holder and using only a small amount is a waste of time. Sadly, like you and others, I have trouble making them fit my calories especially since they don't actually keep me full for very long.

My go to bagel when I am in New York is heaps of cream cheese, lox, chicken salad, and sliced cheese 🙈. So however weird you guys are, I'm weirder. If it was a regular part of my diet, I probably couldn't go all that on the regular. But as a vacation treat, it is one of my favorite things in the world.

I can see that bagel-to-cream-cheese ratio could be a contentious thing among MFP'ers, lol.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I love my bagels HEAPED with cream cheese, which makes it nearly impossible to fit them into my daily calories. Therefore, I don't eat them. But it's not because bagels are "bad."

Finally! Someone else like me. I get so much flak for the amount of cream cheese I put on my bagels. Bagels are just a tasty cream cheese holder and using only a small amount is a waste of time. Sadly, like you and others, I have trouble making them fit my calories especially since they don't actually keep me full for very long.

My go to bagel when I am in New York is heaps of cream cheese, lox, chicken salad, and sliced cheese 🙈. So however weird you guys are, I'm weirder. If it was a regular part of my diet, I probably couldn't go all that on the regular. But as a vacation treat, it is one of my favorite things in the world.

I can see that bagel-to-cream-cheese ratio could be a contentious thing among MFP'ers, lol.

Not really. I'm in full agreement to you that the cream cheese needs to be on the side. They never know what the approriate amount is.

I do disagree where toasting is concerned. A bagel needs to be toasted before the cream cheese is applied. Ratios apply just as with the untoasted version (which simply isn't as yummy)

I learned to make bagels since the ones you buy here are so disappointing. I also make them smaller than average so that they're easy to fit into my day. One, with the appropriate amount of cream cheese and a fruit will keep me full until lunch time.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I love bagels. We have a place here that makes wonderful onion bagels that are really good with peanut butter. Pretty high calorie but I still eat them once or twice a month.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Yep! French toast bagels, toasted, with obscene amounts of cream cheese. There's a thing I cannot moderate. Forgot about them, actually, because I haven't had them in so long.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    love bagels although I don't eat them often.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

:lol: As a long time (former) New Yorker getting a bagel or a hard roll automatically comes with approx one brick of cream cheese or one brick of butter just smushed between the two halves and wrapped in paper, even when I asked them to go light. I always found it way too much, but obviously lots of folks were happy to eat them that way!

OP, if a bagel fits your calories, it's fine. You'll have to see by trial and error if dedicating a big bunch of cals to a bagel will work for you, or leave you hungry. This will also depend on the bagel - If you are getting a fresh baked bagel from a bagel place, it's going to be like twice the size of a Lenders bagel from the grocery store. I can fit in a packaged bagel or english muffin with my own measured spread pretty easily. A big honking fresh baked bagel cheesed or buttered by the clerk, I have to strategically plan for.

Sounds perfect. ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I'm guessing I'm the only weirdo who just eats bagels like a donut, untoasted and with nothing on them. XD

When I was a little kid we used to bike down to the farmers market where there was a place with lots of different flavored bagels and just eat those for lunch. I liked the sun dried tomato ones.

I still hot freshly baked bagel is awesome just eaten as is, so I'll be a weirdo with you :smile:

Once it cools down though, toast that sucker and slap on some cream cheese!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I'm the only weirdo who just eats bagels like a donut, untoasted and with nothing on them. XD

When I was a little kid we used to bike down to the farmers market where there was a place with lots of different flavored bagels and just eat those for lunch. I liked the sun dried tomato ones.

I love them with cream cheese but, as a carboholic, I've been known to eat them whole, ripping them apart and eating them piece by piece. Especially Noah's Bagels which are just...so...soft.

I'm also down with bagel thins because....calories.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Do you have diabetes or prediabetes, which would limit your carb intake per meal? If not, there's no reason to skip bagels, especially whole grain ones like you eat. As long as you can fit them into your calorie count, there's no reason to avoid them. I find them filling and enjoyable at breakfast.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I miss bagels! I love bagels, but they don't love me. I have a Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance, so can't eat bagels any more and the gf versions were always just disappointing.

If they fit within your calorie goals, then go for it.

Did you try Udi or Canyon Bakehouse? I really like both of their GF bagels.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Bagels rule and they provide at least a little bit of protein. I think what tops them is key. Personally, just a bit of cream cheese with tomato and avocado is pretty rockin'. Ditto a bit of CC and a bit of bacon. Poppyseed and Everything bagels win! The rest are to suck!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Bagels are A OK....
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My skinny and super slim and trim children eat lox and bagels ALL the time. I love that I can/do eat anything I want to, whenever I want to as long as it fits my cals, including bagels. I don't eat bagels often, because I tend to eat raisin toast w/butter more often--but I love raisin bagels. Here's a raisin bagel I found online that I definitely want to try...the website didn't show how many cals this is :#
    371-thumbnail-1-Flower-Bagel-Gallery.jpg
    INGREDIENTS

2 Canyon Bakehouse Cinnamon Raisin Gluten-free Bagels, toasted
    4 oz. Whipped Cream Cheese
    ½ Avocado, sliced
    2-3 Strawberries, sliced
    2 Tbsp. Blueberries

DIRECTIONS
    Spread each toasted bagel half with cream cheese.
    Top the cream cheese with avocado and fresh fruit.

https://canyonglutenfree.com/recipes/breakfast/371/Cinnamon-Raisin-Cream-Cheese-Bagel-with-Avocado-and-Fresh-Fruit

• Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Safeway has these delicious mini-bagels (blueberry are my favs) that they sell in a bag. Put them in a toaster and then some whipped cream cheese on them..super yummy and small enough where I can work them into my eating plan on a regular basis. My only complaint about bagles in general is the same with food in general. Too many of my favorite foods are getting bigger and bigger, to include bagels, which makes it difficult to work in and still maintain a calorie deficit.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think they’re fine. Just don’t eat a ton and fit them into your calories/macros. If you can find a smaller one, maybe go for that - like a Montreal bagel. You could add some avocado or something too. Yum
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Also a a "weirdo" - prefer the doughy texture (#bread wheels)

IIFYM, seldom eat nowadays mainly just because the shear caloric density (opportunity costs - I value my carbs from other foods I simply prefer more...yogurt & cottage cheese mainly). Even when throwing in a high carb day once in a blue moon, other foods simply out edge bagels in terms of satisfaction and adequate volume per kcal (potatoes, rice, oats, cereal, pierogies - kcal dense but a comfort food, berries, etc.)