Kettlebell Swing exercise

Options
I added a kettlebell swing to the iPhone app (probably should specify that it's basic two-handed swing), along with the weight and reps, but it doesn't seem to register in terms of calories burned. Sort of just sits there. How do I get this exercise added?

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Bump - because I can't figure that out either, and I LOVE my kettlebell! :-)
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    if you dont have a heart rate monitor, you can log in under cardi exercise. Just punch in strength train and eneter the # of mins you did it.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    when You add some thing. You need to add the calories the first time yourself. Like When I added the Walking away the lbs-3 miles.
    I used a Heart rated monitor to figure out how much I bured. Add the workout and the calorie amount then the next time i use it. It tells me how many calories i burned even if I just did half.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's a strength exercise and they don't show calories for that. You'd have to create a custom exercise under the cardio section for it to show calories.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I assumed that none of the strength exercises counted for points. (I know, kettlebells are strength and cardio all in one -- i love them too!) Are the weightlifters getting calorie credits?
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    It's silly, but you have to enter it into the cardio part.

I think it's lame that it doesn't count ANY calories for strength exercises unless you put it under cardio.
    I guess it's just to keep track.

I promise you though, if you are lifting weights, you are burning calories! well unless they're those little 2 pound weights, but even then sheesh!
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't mind leaving off the calories for strength workouts -- it gives me a little wiggle room on sloppy estimation (by me on portion size or by mfp on calories burned).
  • MadMoxie
    MadMoxie Posts: 33
    Options
    Since it was estimated by the ACE at almost 20 calories per minute, I totally added kettlebell training manually to the cardiovascular section. I personally feel like it's more of a strength training exercise, but I think it's important to get credit for such a killer workout. I usually just estimate my time a little bit lower to balance the strength vs cardio aspect. I just joined MFP today and even though I was a little sad to see that it wasn't already in my list of exercise options, I'm stoked to see that it's getting some forum love! Kettlebells are amazing.