What’s everyone’s say on bagels?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I love my bagels HEAPED with cream cheese, which makes it nearly impossible to fit them into my daily calories. Therefore, I don't eat them. But it's not because bagels are "bad."

Finally! Someone else like me. I get so much flak for the amount of cream cheese I put on my bagels. Bagels are just a tasty cream cheese holder and using only a small amount is a waste of time. Sadly, like you and others, I have trouble making them fit my calories especially since they don't actually keep me full for very long.

My go to bagel when I am in New York is heaps of cream cheese, lox, chicken salad, and sliced cheese 🙈. So however weird you guys are, I'm weirder. If it was a regular part of my diet, I probably couldn't go all that on the regular. But as a vacation treat, it is one of my favorite things in the world.

I can see that bagel-to-cream-cheese ratio could be a contentious thing among MFP'ers, lol.

Not really. I'm in full agreement to you that the cream cheese needs to be on the side. They never know what the approriate amount is.

I do disagree where toasting is concerned. A bagel needs to be toasted before the cream cheese is applied. Ratios apply just as with the untoasted version (which simply isn't as yummy)

I learned to make bagels since the ones you buy here are so disappointing. I also make them smaller than average so that they're easy to fit into my day. One, with the appropriate amount of cream cheese and a fruit will keep me full until lunch time.

Bad to okay quality bagels need to be toasted. But a really good bagel is best served fresh and warm.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Nothing "wrong" with them. I say no because I could eat one and still be looking for the rest of it...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,348 Member
    I made some flour and greek yogurt bagels per online recipes: they weren't too bad! I tend to buy scones / tea biscuits when I'm out... mainly because their calories vs happiness vs satiety factor seem to be better for me than what I get out of easily found commercial bagels that start out at more calories!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I have half a bagel occasionally. I don't think they are bad. Just like any food fit it in your goals in moderation.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I adore bagels, eaten any which way...whole like a donut, eaten toasted with butter, eaten with heaps of cream cheese, lox, the works. But they don’t fit well into my 1300 calorie limit because they are one of my trigger foods and because most of them are HUGE. They also don’t keep me full for long, even when I eat the whole wheat ones. So for now I am eating Ezekiel bread/toast.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Bagels are amazing
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I LOVE bagels. Half today, half tomorrow. With cherry cheesecake cream cheese
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    They're delicious and can fit in your day with a plan
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    I love bagels, but I only eat them when I'm on holidays, Otherwise, If i have one at home, I have the 6 pack. They're just so damn delicious. if you can eat just one without touching the rest and all good for calorie limit, go for it. I do find they make me so hungry afterwards, but any type of bread does.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I live in St Louis and one of the most controversial bagel topics is “regular vs bread sliced”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/juliareinstein/bread-sliced-bagels-panera-st-louis-missouri-outrage

Bread Sliced is awesome.

Come at me bro

What the ???

It's always a tough day when your heroes let you down :cry:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I live in St Louis and one of the most controversial bagel topics is “regular vs bread sliced”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/juliareinstein/bread-sliced-bagels-panera-st-louis-missouri-outrage

Bread Sliced is awesome.

Come at me bro

What the ???

It's always a tough day when your heroes let you down :cry:

Hear me out...

1) you know how when someone brings bagels into the office and some jerk takes the top half of the cinnamon crunch bagel leaving the sad bottom half? Not an issue with bread sliced

2) you can constantly control the cream cheese to bagel ratio meticulously schmearing each little slice.

3) they are great for little kids with little teeth, Panera throws them right in the bag and you can just distribute them as needed without a drooly toddler gnawing on a perfectly good half a bagel that you really want for yourself

Now if you like toasted bagels, as I also do, this isn’t an ideal solution. But in situations outlined above and for those who don’t need bagels toasted - bread sliced is a stellar option.

Hopefully I have redeemed myself...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,563 Member

Bread Sliced is awesome.

Come at me bro

Gay rat wedding is a mood.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    You didn't mention the crunchy bagel chips which result from the (unlikely) left over bagel slice after a couple of days.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,119 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Bread Sliced is awesome.

Come at me bro

Gay rat wedding is a mood.
    Gay rat wedding?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Eat the things you enjoy, the trick is finding a way to make it fit into your calorie (and macro) goals. The trick being portion control :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Like others, enjoy them, work into your calorie budget. Definitely calorie dense so not a daily indulgence, at least for me. NY style only for me, real bagels. Panera are ok, but not worth the calories. The local delicatessen, and Brueggers make NY style and are worth the calories.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member

Bread Sliced is awesome.

Come at me bro

The greatest monsters are the ones hiding right under our noses in plain sight...
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Bread Sliced is awesome.

Come at me bro

My stream-of-consciousness thoughts:

"What is bread slic-BLASPHEMY....well, I guess it's good for dipping, but it straight up looks like they vivisected a bagel! It's seriously a lil disturbing. Just rip a piece off if you wanna dip!"

Yep.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    edited May 2019

1) you know how when someone brings bagels into the office and some jerk takes the top half of the cinnamon crunch bagel leaving the sad bottom half?

That guy. I hate that guy. He also leaves like 1/8" of coffee at the bottom of the pot without making a new one.