I need help I don’t know where to start!

Options
Hello everyone I am new to working out and currently underweight so I do not know where to start. I want to build muscle but I am confused on how to start for fear of loosing weight can anyone help me with the absolute basics? so I can start a workout plan and meal plan

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of resources here; read, read, read.

Read, and come back with specific questions. We're here for you!
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Research a lot. Don't do a fad diet. Focus on getting your calories in (clean eating). Drink plenty of water and if you're trying to gain weight/muscle, make sure to eat enough protein.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    Research a lot. Don't do a fad diet. Focus on getting your calories in (clean eating). Drink plenty of water and if you're trying to gain weight/muscle, make sure to eat enough protein.

This is not always the best advice for someone trying to gain especially of they are underweight. While nutrition is important, getting the calories in is #1 and one does not have to eat all clean to do that, in fact it is a lot easier if they don't.
  • ummzurah
    ummzurah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is it safe for me to workout while underweight or should I focus on gaining? I’m scared for weight to go to my mid section however I’m scared to lose weight also
  • sardelsa
    Options
    ummzurah wrote: »
    Is it safe for me to workout while underweight or should I focus on gaining? I’m scared for weight to go to my mid section however I’m scared to lose weight also

It really depends on if you have been instructed by a doctor not to do so. If you are severely underweight or have an eating disorder I would speak to one before working out.
  • ummzurah
    Options
    I don’t have an eating disorder. I have been naturally thin my whole life and am currently breastfeeding so it caused me to lose more weight. I don’t have any underlying health issues my size is due to genetics.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Ok that's fine. Do you have access to a gym or do you have equipment at home? I would follow a program in the stickies I linked, eat in a surplus of 250cals (0.5lb per week) to gain, get adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb bodyweight).
  • ummzurah
    Options
    I have a few small weights (2,3 and 5 pounds) I don’t have access to a gym since I am home with small kids, is it possible for me to weight train since I do not have equipment at home? Which program do you think would best fit me? I have a small pudge from having kids all though I am still very slim. I also have question about when to drink protein shakes. (Sorry so many questions)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    There are bodyweight programs in the link, you can see which one appeals to you. Strong Curves bodyweight/at home is a good one.

I wouldn't worry too much about specific meal timing at this point. If you want to eat regularly to help get the calories in which includes protein, that's good.