Post Morning Fasted Cardio - What do I eat?

Options
What should I eat after my morning fasted cardio session?

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I like a bowl of cereal and an apple. Eat whatever you like.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Anything you feel like, whatever your next meal is.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Food?

Serious answer: Nutrient timing is only important for elite athletes trying to get a 0.01% edge. For us regular mortals, it doesn't matter. Eat what you like, when you like.

itqwgvo4jhd8.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Breakfast!
  • TheJenJen78
    TheJenJen78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was thinking mini protein shake? Almond milk and a scoop of whey protein powder? I was just wondering if I should be eating something more specific to reap all of the benefits.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I was thinking mini protein shake? Almond milk and a scoop of whey protein powder? I was just wondering if I should be eating something more specific to reap all of the benefits.

I just edited my answer above. I'll refer you there.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am with the rest of the answerers. I have no idea.
    I do know, however, that they used to talk about glycogen stores in muscles cells getting depleted by vigorous exercise and that you have about forty-five minute window during which you can help to replenish those stores. (After that the insulin system -- or something -- kicks in and the cells become more resistant to taking up what has been used up by the exercise.)
    Anyway, according to this evidence, you need a balance of sugars and protein and chocolate milk has the exact balance you need.
    You might want to explore that. I think I have most of it right. But I am not sure.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    What should I eat after my morning fasted cardio session?

What do you like? What would you have for breakfast without the cardio session? Anything enjoyable, nutritious that will keep you at your calorie count whether you're trying to maintain, gain or lose.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

That would seem perhaps a slightly odd choice but it's not really clear what your exercise is (was it easy, strenuous, short or long duration?), why you are doing it fasted? What benefits you think that will give you?

Assuming (big assumption...) your fasted cardio session burned a load of carbs it would on the face of it make more sense to replenish your carb stores, especially if you are training again the same day. Chuck a load of granola in your protein shake perhaps?

Maybe you should specify what your particular exercise goals are?

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking in terms of recovery conventional wisdom (I'm not sure there's any hard science behind this) suggests that eating something that has a 4:1 ration of carbs to protein is an effective way of replenishing glycogen store hence the popularity of chocolate milk as a recovery drink.

But I'm with sijomial in that we need more information to really give you useful feedback.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Its reasonable to have a protein shake which includes adequate EAAs. I might suggest soaking some steel oats in it while you perform your cardioto give you more balanced meal.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio every morning. I usually follow it with a shower and then coffee. I eat something after having a little coffee. It just depends what I'm in the mood for. Yogurt, nuts, fruit, egg whites, bar, etc. I didn't know there was something specific to eat to reap the benefits of my cardio.
  • TheJenJen78
    TheJenJen78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! @sijomial My exercise goals right now are to drop weight. I wake up at 5:00am and do 45 minutes of elliptical in a fasted state. This morning I had the "mini shake" and it seemed OK. I usually don't eat until I get into the office around 8:00am - 9:00am and that's when I will have my usual Frozen Fruit, Almond Milk and 2 scoops of Protein Powder Shake.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So exercise is just about burning more calories, so that when you eat less than you burn it total - you get to eat more than if you did no exercise.

In which case there is no benefit to a window and fueling that might be useful to daily endurance athletes.
    Your normal meals have you covered.
    The fasted/non-fasted, feeding early or later - has no bearing on your goals of weight loss.

Enjoy whatever and whenever the next meal is as long as it helps you keep to your plan.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! @sijomial My exercise goals right now are to drop weight. I wake up at 5:00am and do 45 minutes of elliptical in a fasted state. This morning I had the "mini shake" and it seemed OK. I usually don't eat until I get into the office around 8:00am - 9:00am and that's when I will have my usual Frozen Fruit, Almond Milk and 2 scoops of Protein Powder Shake.

Are you hungry after the gym? If yes, then eat (or drink). If not, then you're just wasting calories IMO.

I'm up at 3:15, at the gym by 4:00, and I don't eat/drink anything but black coffee until about 9:30 or 10:00.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Remember to rehydrate.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I have recent and ongoing experience training fasted so my comment is based my experience.

Unless you desire some calories after that workout, you would be fine waiting until you eat at work. It’s not that long after your workout.

But, if you’d like a post-workout treat, that’s OK too.

Manage your daily calories in relation to your goals is all that matters.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Eat what you would regularly eat for breakfast. I say while waiting for two bialys after fasted not especially intense (but rather technical) cardio