So glad I started CrossFit! You might like it too.

2»

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Help!!! What is crossfit???? Sounds great

https://www.crossfit.com/at-home

T
  • 7elizamae
    I’m really interested in crossfit. Looks like a great way to mix up your training. I have two concerns. One is that the people i watch do it are very high impact. Not much on ripping up my body if I can help it. The other is how do you start. I’m big on preconditioning. What do you think?

It is entirely up to you how intense your workouts are. All of the movements can be modified according to ability. For example, yesterday part of the workout was supposed to be something called a bar muscle up. Well, I couldn't do one of those to save my life, so instead, the coach had me do ring rows -- a beginner version of a pull-up.

• 7elizamae
    I'm taking an intro class tomorrow. Any words of advice?
    Thanks.

I hope it went well! My best advice would be to be open to try new things. And be patient to learn the movements first before you start to really push yourself.
  • latnsmile
    latnsmile Posts: 1 Member
    Yes i love crossfit! @ 46 never felt better!
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    I joined a CF box last year but haven't been consistent with attendance. I do enjoy it and starting this month, will make it a priority.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    I do Crossfit 1-2x a week at my house. I have MOST of the things I need there. It's great! I still have a contract with a personal trainer until May. We mostly use machines, etc. I'm hoping once my contract is up I can stick with mostly basement crossfit. lol I haven't found a crossfit gym/box near by but if I find classes, I'll add them in as well!
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Thanks.

Don't over think it - just do what you can and know that any and everything can be modified so that you can be apart of it. Do NOT get down on yourself and just have fun!!
  • 7elizamae
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Don't over think it - just do what you can and know that any and everything can be modified so that you can be apart of it. Do NOT get down on yourself and just have fun!!

Good advice! I hear people saying they don't want to go because they can't do what the long-timers can do. No one expects you to perform like someone who has been at it for years! And really, everyone is completely involved in their own workout and paying no attention to what others are doing.
  • 7elizamae
    Bumping this post to encourage any of you who may be considering CrossFit!

I've been at it for 6 months and I still love it! I can do so much more than I could when I started. I look forward to it every day I go (4x week).

The best part is that it is never boring. The variety is constant and the people are great.

Second best part is that something finally put a dent in the cellulite on my thighs. It is still visible, but not nearly as prominent. I'm sure it's due to the new muscle in my legs from all the squats I do nowadays. Also, I have very nice visible muscles in my shoulders and arms. :)

I still can't do a pull-up, but I can hang with my chin above the bar and let myself down very slowly. So, that is a huge increase in strength for me.

If you're interested but unsure, give it a try! You might love it too. :)

• 7elizamae
    Help!!! What is crossfit???? Sounds great

https://crossfit.com

• 7elizamae
    I’m really interested in crossfit. Looks like a great way to mix up your training. I have two concerns. One is that the people i watch do it are very high impact. Not much on ripping up my body if I can help it. The other is how do you start. I’m big on preconditioning. What do you think?

Everything you do is completely up to you. Your coach will do an introductory class with you before you attend a regular class. And then at every class the coach will suggest modifications for those who need/want them. For example, today I modified the box jumps. The prescribed workout included sets of twenty lateral box jumps. I am terrible at them and was worried about doing twenty in a row while exhausted. So, I did lateral box step-ups. I still usually modify something at each workout.
  • Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    I started 6 months ago 4 x week plus daily LISS cardio and have gained back almost 40 lbs of what I lost on 1800 cal a day. I'm finding it increasingly hard to get through some movements, but I don't want to go back to bodybuilding type routine 7x week plus daily cardio. :(
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    So I've been going regularly for a months and love it! But now my knee is killing me, my doctor doesn't seem to care except to push narcotics. I'm modifying by squatting to a box and avoiding jumping, but I'm getting a lot of side eye from the instructors when I do. Any suggestions? I really don't want to quit.
  • Ironlady70
    Ironlady70 Posts: 777 Member
    So I've been going regularly for a months and love it! But now my knee is killing me, my doctor doesn't seem to care except to push narcotics. I'm modifying by squatting to a box and avoiding jumping, but I'm getting a lot of side eye from the instructors when I do. Any suggestions? I really don't want to quit.

My Box has a member that is also a physio. He knows the movements and what to do to modify and strengthen weak muscles that are causing pain by not allowing proper form. I am having issues with shoulder and knees. He's been amazing. Maybe search out a box that has it's own physio and book an appointment
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Ironlady70 wrote: »

My Box has a member that is also a physio. He knows the movements and what to do to modify and strengthen weak muscles that are causing pain by not allowing proper form. I am having issues with shoulder and knees. He's been amazing. Maybe search out a box that has it's own physio and book an appointment

Thanks!
  • hmartin3788
    hmartin3788 Posts: 3 Member
    CrossFit is my absolute favorite. I don't like that they don't have a lot of the strength movements in the exersise database though!
    Who's looking forward to Murph??
    Also - here's a photo of me during the Open, doing 19.4: snatches and bar facing burpees.
  • hmartin3788
    hmartin3788 Posts: 3 Member
    Since it didn't post....gkfzu7upnblc.jpg
  • 7elizamae

Find a new gym if the coaches are not supportive of you protecting yourself from injury.
  • 7elizamae
    CrossFit is my absolute favorite. I don't like that they don't have a lot of the strength movements in the exersise database though!
    Who's looking forward to Murph??
    Also - here's a photo of me during the Open, doing 19.4: snatches and bar facing burpees.

I'm very afraid of Murph. I'll try anything, but we'll see how it goes. :)