Slimming World to MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hiya I am a sw member I have been following the plan for almost two years and have lost 5.5 stone. I have tried MFP and calorie counting before because I found sw didn’t fit around my oh the go lifestyle two weeks I was within calories and I gained 3.5 lbs two weeks in a row so I gave up but I’m back because my weight loss has slowed down is almost non existent with only loosing 4lbs since August last year. I really feel at a loss cause
  • parachute_hoot
    parachute_hoot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, one more, and then I'm done. I find this all fascinating, really. The change of one letter made people go from feeling guilty about their "sins", to thinking that SW had found the "science" behind weight loss. Brilliant, and it worked to draw new members.

http://rebelfit.co.uk/blog/2017/proof-that-syns-used-to-be-called-sins

As someone who has been following SW for about 18 months, sat in many SW groups and participated in conversations facilitated by SW, I would say for me as a normal, paying member a 'syn' is something I consider to be bad. And that is because it is restrictive. I cannot eat my preferred amount of 'synned' foods, whilst sticking to the plan.

I wasn't aware of the synergy/sin history - I had always considered it was to indicate something 'bad'.
  • parachute_hoot
    Options
    Hiya I am a sw member I have been following the plan for almost two years and have lost 5.5 stone. I have tried MFP and calorie counting before because I found sw didn’t fit around my oh the go lifestyle two weeks I was within calories and I gained 3.5 lbs two weeks in a row so I gave up but I’m back because my weight loss has slowed down is almost non existent with only loosing 4lbs since August last year. I really feel at a loss cause

Hiya

Really sorry to hear you are feeling at a loss. I can't give too much guidance around the science of logging calories and how your body responds, but I was in a similar position to you as to feeling lost and thinking my progress had stalled.

The only advice I can give is to keep going and stick with it - if you do it truthfully and honestly, I believe it works. I am learning as I go but there is so much support and guidance on this forum, that if you fully commit you will; reap the rewards.

Best of luck with your new start.
  • parachute_hoot
    Options
    Nudgey02 wrote: »

Hiya, I just 100% count calories using MFP now, no tracking syns etc. It's more important to me to know that I am eating the right balance of protein, carbs and fat and having the correct amount of calories. But I still use SW recipes as they are normally low calorie, I also still eat Sw ready meals from Iceland.

Well done so far and good luck with transitioning to MFP.

I didn't think about the SW meals, to be honest. Just had a quick check and some of them don't appear to be too high in calorie count. I wouldn't indulge in them often, but I found when I needed a convenient lunch or dinner they were perfect. I tend to batch cook now and and I still have a few of those batch meals in the freezer, but it is good to know things like those won't do too much damage whilst I try and transition.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Agree with @PAV8888 on this. Especially the one nugget in your original post that tells me everything:

"Just last Saturday we were laughing because I was needing the bathroom so badly that when I got home and got there, I was able to pull my jeans down without unbuttoning them... so there is obviously some changes afoot, just not on the scales."

In the rest of your conversation here it already seems like you're coming to the conclusion that, in terms of weight anyway, it's all about energy balance. I also hope you realize, based on the statement above, that it's not all about weight....
  • sorchaedwards1991
    sorchaedwards1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried Slimming World for around 3 months once and lost next to nothing - literally like 1 or 2 pounds.
    I honestly believe SW is great for people who are quite overweight (3+stones to lose) and didn't eat very well in the first place. It encourages people to cook healthy meals who might have relied on convenience food before. For me, I already ate pretty well, I love to cook and love my fruit and veggies so it didn't help me at all. Mostly because portion control doesn't seem to be a thing on SW diet. The fact you can eat unlimited pasta, potatoes etc blew my mind. I love pasta and could eat about 800 calories worth of it in one sitting without realising. It was only when I typed in my SW diet in MFP that I understood why it wasn't losing weight.

If you have less than a stone or 2 to lose, SW wont work unless you calorie count as well. And if you're going to calorie count anyway you might as well scrap the SW part and eat what you want within the calorie restriction. SW's diet is mostly about low fat and high sugar foods which isn't great for your appetite or health in the long run anyway.

In my opinion, you should just calorie count on MFP while using SW food optimising ideas as that does help lower calorie count in meals.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You can still use the SW plan but log your calories on this app. Measuring/weighing your foods is all that is needed to ensure you stay within calorie deficit which will mean you will lose weight.
  • parachute_hoot
    Options

In the rest of your conversation here it already seems like you're coming to the conclusion that, in terms of weight anyway, it's all about energy balance. I also hope you realize, based on the statement above, that it's not all about weight....

Thank you... :) Yes, slowly coming round to that realisation! Just trying to take it one day at a time, or one meal at a time! I notice a real difference in my clothes that isn't mirrored on the scale, which still feels fantastic. I still have lbs to lose so I will continue to count and log until I get within my ideal weight range, then I will let me shape and clothes do the talking. Thanks for the kind words!
  • parachute_hoot
    Options
    It was only when I typed in my SW diet in MFP that I understood why it wasn't losing weight.

Snap! It feels like a real lightbulb moment.

I have started to loosen the corset, so to speak and allow myself to come away from the plan i.e if I have a cereal for breakfast and I want to use some wholemeal bread for another meal on the same day then I will do it. I can really start to see the benefits of CC and how they could help propel me to the next stage.

I think the last line of your post is the right one - to just count calories but following SW meal ideas to continue to make healthy meals.

I still want to attend the weekly groups and use it as my official weigh in, due to the friendships and support in the group. When you get to target, you no longer pay so it is good motivation to try and get there quickly.
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It was only when I typed in my SW diet in MFP that I understood why it wasn't losing weight.

Snap! It feels like a real lightbulb moment.

I have started to loosen the corset, so to speak and allow myself to come away from the plan i.e if I have a cereal for breakfast and I want to use some wholemeal bread for another meal on the same day then I will do it. I can really start to see the benefits of CC and how they could help propel me to the next stage.

I think the last line of your post is the right one - to just count calories but following SW meal ideas to continue to make healthy meals.

I still want to attend the weekly groups and use it as my official weigh in, due to the friendships and support in the group. When you get to target, you no longer pay so it is good motivation to try and get there quickly.

Exactly this i followed slimming world plan yesterday logged my food here and my breakfast lunch and dinner only came to 720 calories. I need to meet a goal of 1720 to loose 2lb a week. I had some treats last night to bring my calories up but this was probs about 30 syns worth. I would have gone to bed hungry on 720 calories before hand.
  • jezlightyear
    jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone still looks at this thread but thought it would save me starting a new one.

I've decided to switch from SW and come back to my old roots of MFP <3 anyone else doing similar?

Personally I feel like I've gotten to a point with SW that I feel too restricted in what I eat. I've always been very 'savvy' with my food, I love healthy dishes just as much as I love a decent pizza, so I feel like I don't need the 'plan' of SW in the sense of learning about foods/controlling portions etc. It's more about exercising and making better choices :smiley:

Hope someone feels the same as me!