This might be the dumbest question you read today, but I’m going to ask it anyway!

PB4Lyfe
PB4Lyfe Posts: 28 Member
edited May 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Ok. My question is about carbs. I’m following a keto diet, so carbs are important to me.

I have a jar of bovril. It says on the label that a serve contains 4g of carbs, and of that, less than .1g is sugar.

So what’s the other 3.9g? Because I have a hard time believing a 12g spoonful of this delicious brown slime contains 3.9g of fibre! (But I’d love if it did because then I could drink more of it without blowing out my macros!)

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Ingredients
    Beef Broth (50%) [Water, Beef Bones],
    Yeast Extract (27%) [contains Barley, Wheat, Oats, Rye],
    Salt,
    Water,
    Colour (Ammonia Caramel),
    Corn Starch,
    Beef Powder (1%),
    Flavour Enhancers (Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate),

Not sure if this helps I have no idea about macros really but was intrigued by your question so will check back in later. :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Starches are also carbs. They get broken down into sugar inside your body but it takes an extra step.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    water?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Starches are also carbs. They get broken down into sugar inside your body but it takes an extra step.

Yeah, I'd assume starch. (OP, if you are in the UK, fibre won't be in the carb count on your labels. They are already net carb.)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Like the others said above, it's a starch. There are three types of carbs - sugar (simple carbs), fiber, and starch (complex carbs), which are in-between the two in terms of complexity in its molecule structure.