How to break Sugar addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• HulkV2
    HulkV2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had to go cold Turkey, it was a brutal week or so but after that I was ok. I have that habit of trying to ween off of sweets but it never actually working and I go right back to where I was so I just had to cut it off
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You need to challenge yourself big time. I mean, go really big. F these 1-week challenges or even 1-month challenges. Try a 6-month or 1-year challenge. Here's how I do it:

1) Write out the challenge. Be specific (never, once a week, once a month, what exact foods, etc.). It's also good to define things that are acceptable. (Strawberries with whipped cream, or something.)

2) Write your reasons for doing the challenge. Are there negative consequences of this behavior? Again, look for specific reasons you want to change your behavior.

3) Discuss it with people you live or interact with. Enlist a friend, if you can.

4) Pick a start date. Leave some time so you can visualize.

5) Print, sign, and date the contract. Post somewhere you will see it daily. (But maybe out of the public eye.)

6) When the date comes, do it and don't wimp out. If you can do the above steps with a good conscience, this should be no problem.
  • melaniekboe
    melaniekboe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was told to try a daily magnesium supplement and it works wonders!!! I no longer have a sweet tooth or those cravings.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I too love chocolate cake. I don't have it but rarely (some foods are all-the-time, some are sometimes, and some are...rarely). Just for special events. True special events, not because I went to the grocery store, or the break room table has some in hand's reach.

I figured out that, texturally, I love the feeling of sweet & cold on my tongue. Mint chocolate and salted caramel chocolate satisfy this textural craving (and sugar craving, tbh). So I keep bars of those around and break off a square or two a day. Sometimes, though that craving is satisfied with grapes or strawberries or even a hard-boiled egg or cucumber slices (because they're cold).

You'll have to work out what craving you are trying to satisfy. Or maybe it's just a habit to break? Make it harder for yourself to grab cake, and easier to grab a chocolate square.
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We are the same height. I weigh around 142-143 lbs and I have chocolate everyday. I know it's hard to believe, but it is true that you can have your favorite snacks DAILY as long as you make it work. For me, I have a chocolate ice cream sandwich every night before bed. Keeps me satisfied until the weekend where I tend to indulge a little more. There is no need to cut out all sugar. In my experience, it is not sustainable long term and most importantly, its not fun.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »
    I am also a huge emotional eater so if I feel down or low I automatically reach for sugar. How do ppl control that? I had a strawberry shortbread cookie today and then 2 tiny pieces of cheesecake that were lying ard. Feeling so guilty!

What else do you enjoy doing? Find another outlet and leave notes taped to the fridge and cabinets to remind yourself of it if need be.

Eating properly for yourself, call it dieting if you like, but I don't - it isn't and shouldn't be a painful thing full of suffering. If you get emotional and feel the need for a snack you aren't ready for, go ahead and have a cry, take a walk, play with the dog/cat, dance around the living room/call a friend or whatever moves you. I'll bet you find the urge for that food only lasts a few minutes tops.

Over time, you learn you didn't need to overeat, and that will become your behavior/habits.

Wishing you the best, hang in there.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »
    Pl help!!!
    I am 5 ft 7 inches, 184 lbs and have lost 20 lbs last year. However my sugar addiction keeps gettg in the way as I make progress. My goal wt is 150 lbs and Im tryg to lose this slowly.
    I go abt 7-10 days without sugar and them when I have it , it triggers me to have sugar again and again. Before you know Ive had a big choc cake for dessert 3-4 days in a row. I do 5:2 intermittent fasting to balance things out. I really need help to keep my addiction under control.
    Should I eat a piece of dark choc everyday? What has helped ppl to break the addictiom? Would love to get some tips

From what I've seen, it's pretty individual what will work. I think the two questions to answer are this:
    1. How is your craving for sweets satisfied? With a little or a lot of sweets? How quickly do you crave sweets again AFTER it is satisfied?

2. How bad is your craving? Is it this overwhelming urge that hits you very frequently, a strong urge when you eat, a minor urge a few times a day, what?

The reason this is important is because everyone has heard the term 'sugar craving' but the term is, well, kind of like the term 'pain.' I can say someone who had a nail ripped off is in pain, and that someone who had an arm ripped off is in pain - both are true, but the definition of pain in the two cases is vastly different.

And that is true for sugar cravings, too.

For folks where the craving is mild, is fairly easily satisfied with a little sweet, and/or is infrequent, then sweets in moderation seem like a great idea. A hard candy every once in a while, for example, or a tiny slice of cake every once in a while, works well to satisfy the craving.

For folks where the craving is intense, is not satisfied for long with a little sweet, is not satisfied without a lot of sweet, and/or is very frequent, sweets in moderation may do jack all to help. They will, instead, be more likely to spiral out of control because satisfying the craving takes very frequent doses of and/or very large amounts of sweets.

And with that latter, moderation is not the key, because it just isn't sustainable. It is a bit like an addiction (and animal studies have shown that some bodies treat sugar about like morphine after a certain point, including withdrawal, so it's not out of the realm of possibility), and the only solution when that happens seems to be about like with other addictions: drop it cold turkey, and stay off of it, because having it again just starts the whole cycle over again.

I have the 'bad' craving type. Craving sugar when I first go off of it is something that is there 24/7. It is like a pressure in my throat and my stomach, that makes it so all I think about is something sweet, constantly. I will literally dream about it every night, I will wake up wanting the taste of something sweet, and it just doesn't freaking stop. Even when I GET something sweet, I still want more very quickly - I've eaten so much I want to throw up, and I STILL want something sweet.

IF, however, I can manage 2-3 weeks without sugar...the craving goes away (fully without sugar, not even foods with added sugar, like cereal). I mean it completely dies, and I don't want it anymore. Not a problem at all. in fact, sweet tastes are only a mild interest at that point - I will scarf veggies up by the ton but eat almost no fruit, even.

If I screw up and have something sweet though, with sugar (not fruit), then the craving is back, full bore, instantly, and I have to go through it all over again. I have done this a few times in my life, because I keep thinking that 'maybe this time it'll be different,' as it's a pain to avoid sugar in the diet in terms of making your food vs. buying pre-made food. But I always have to go back to full avoidance to deal with sugar.

And I would just add, for context, that my own experience of craving sugar is the absolutely worst craving for foods I've had, bar none. And I say that as someone who, in the course of a few weeks, had a disorder go out of control for over 8 months so my diet dropped down to less than 10 foods. I couldn't even have herbs at that point, and still, the one thing I wanted was sugar, for those first few weeks, until that urge passed, too.

After that, I wanted herbs and spices, I missed bread, I missed veggies, I wanted other foods, but didn't dream about other foods, I didn't crave them constantly, not even in the first few weeks I dropped them. I would just think of them sometimes, like at mealtimes when I was eating.

That type of craving? I can see where a little moderation, a little taste sometime, would work.
    But if the craving is much more severe, I just think it may need a more severe solution, as well. At least in my own experience.

One last thing - IF you wanted to drop cold turkey, here's what has helped me when I had to fight through the first few weeks.
    1. I came up with some of my favorite foods/recipes, to make for the first month I was going off of sugar, so I had foods I could look forward too.
    2. I had a lot of snacks that I made so I could eat something, immediately, when i was feeling the least bit peckish OR sometimes to eat when I wanted to eat sugar instead.
    3. I had more carbs, and did NOT try to worry so much about calories. Because we've got a finite level of willpower - I can use it to fight off the sugar cravings, or I can use it to diet, but doing both at the same time tends to lead to failure in one or the other. The sugar cravings are typically gone in 2-4 weeks, in people I know who go cold turkey, and then calorie watching will be SO much easier, you know?

Whatever way you choose to go, wish you good luck, and hope it works out for you. :-)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    bjkoziara wrote: »
    I had a huge problem with binging, especially on sugar. I would do it when no one was around to see it or hold me accountable. I have very disordered ways of thinking about food, and in the past I have found that labeling foods as "good" or "bad" put this idea in my head that I had to feel guilty for eating "bad" food, like sugar.

Ultimately, what's worked for me is allowing myself to have things I enjoy if it fits in my day (If It Fits Your Macros). I also log my food for the day before I eat breakfast because having a plan or knowing what I am going to eat and when helps me not to binge, and at the end of the day if I am craving a chocolate or a scoop of ice cream, I know if it will fit my day.

Total restriction is almost never a good idea unless there is a medical reason to do so. It's not good for your mental health.

It really is empowering to take away the stigma of good vs bad from food and free yourself from guilt when allowing yourself to eat things you enjoy.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, there are two ways to do this. Save calories for a small treat more often so you don't have built up cravings, or if that doesn't help, stop sweets and added sugar entirely for a few weeks. You choose which one to try first. I personally started with a no sugar type challenge for myself, and now I'm able to have a small dessert a few times a week without any craving issues.

However, with both scenarios it seems to me that you should stop with the IF. Fasting and then binging is a bad cycle. And you will be more likely to binge if you just fasted or you know a fast is coming up soon. When you are trying to reduce sugar or cut it out entirely, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to eat at maintenance for a few weeks so that you are just worrying about kicking the sugar addiction. Being hungry, and especially starving after fasting, will make it more likely you will want to binge.

You also need to figure out other outlets for dealing with your emotions. Some people just need other activities like a bath or giving themselves a pedicure, but you can also be helped by talking with a counselor. You have some guilt going on after your binging, and it may help to show yourself some compassion and kindness. Negative self talk can only drive the cycle to repeat itself.