Post Morning Fasted Cardio - What do I eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I do fasted cardio every morning. I usually follow it with a shower and then coffee. I eat something after having a little coffee. It just depends what I'm in the mood for. Yogurt, nuts, fruit, egg whites, bar, etc. I didn't know there was something specific to eat to reap the benefits of my cardio.

There is a wide variety of cardio activities that can include some form or intensity of resistance training such as rowing, cycling, sled work, hill sprint repeats, etc...most benefits if any will come from well balanced meal when needed.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! @sijomial My exercise goals right now are to drop weight. I wake up at 5:00am and do 45 minutes of elliptical in a fasted state. This morning I had the "mini shake" and it seemed OK. I usually don't eat until I get into the office around 8:00am - 9:00am and that's when I will have my usual Frozen Fruit, Almond Milk and 2 scoops of Protein Powder Shake.

If exercise is only about weight loss for you then eat (or wait to eat) whatever fits in your daily/weekly calorie allowance and allows you to adhere to your nutrition goals.

If you aren't eating back exercise calories then I hope you realise the calorie goal given by MyFitnessPal assumes that you would add them to your daily base calorie goal so you would be undercutting your calorie allowance.

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! @sijomial My exercise goals right now are to drop weight. I wake up at 5:00am and do 45 minutes of elliptical in a fasted state. This morning I had the "mini shake" and it seemed OK. I usually don't eat until I get into the office around 8:00am - 9:00am and that's when I will have my usual Frozen Fruit, Almond Milk and 2 scoops of Protein Powder Shake.

Just checking here that you do know that fasted cardio has no additional benefits? I personally exercise fasted because I don't like eating at 5am (and you may be the same) but you don't have to work out on an empty stomach.

Also, I eat about two hours after I finish at the gym (because of my morning routine) I eat an egg and toast and a cup of tea :)