Calories are frustrating me!

2»

Replies

• Femilaxx1xo
    Femilaxx1xo Posts: 66 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Most university students are active. from walking from class to class. and to school. and the library.

I suppose a small city college campus may reduce this to lightly active. Maybe.

I'm a student who has classes in the same room all day, no campus walking for me. My uni is also 5 mins from train station and my house 8 mins away the other end.

:p:p

26 minutes of moderately fast walking is about 2600 steps.
    The sedentary level tops out at approximately 3500.

What probably is, and SHOULD, confound you is that your losses should be very slow and your normal water weight variation is quite likely to be larger than your losses on a weekly and even monthly basis.

You're well within the normal weight range and you're trying to move lower. AND, if you're to be believed, your TDEE is quite low. Thus an appropriate deficit for you would be of the order of 250 Cal a day which would result, under ideal conditions, in a loss in the 0.2kg per week range whereas water weight variations could easily be as large as a couple of kilos (i.e. 10x larger)

Get yourself a trending weight app to have SOME chance of being able to gauge your progress.

Evaluate whether weight loss or some other target such as recomp is a more appropriate goal.

OP, this is perhaps the best advice in this thread - and all the other stuff is good too (so don't slam me for favoritism guys). I made a couple of parts of @PAV8888's response bold because they are nuggets. You should take a look at what recomposition is and see if might be right for you, since you are already well into a healthy weight range. If you eat at or close to maintenance and do appropriate movements/training, you may find that staying the same weight while changing your shape over time may give you the results you have in mind.

Thank you!!!! Idk about recomp. I have 26% body fat. My scale estimated that. I want to get toned. I dnt hold a lot of fat in my legs. It’s mainly my upper back and stomach. I want to get rid of them. I feel like doing a recomp will confuse me a lot.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sounds like your calorie confusion is clear. Is there any particular reason you’re so Sedentary? You walk to the bus, you have class for two hours, you take the bus home. Presumably there’s some study time in there but is there any way to fit in more activity in your day? A university fitness center? As you get older and life gets busier it’s important to build healthy habits while you’re younger so you have that foundation. Regular activity, doesn’t have to be strenuous exercise, is important.

Yes Definitely. I’ll see what I can do.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Most university students are active. from walking from class to class. and to school. and the library.

I'm a student who has classes in the same room all day, no campus walking for me. My uni is also 5 mins from train station and my house 8 mins away the other end.

What probably is, and SHOULD, confound you is that your losses should be very slow and your normal water weight variation is quite likely to be larger than your losses on a weekly and even monthly basis.

You're well within the normal weight range and you're trying to move lower. AND, if you're to be believed, your TDEE is quite low. Thus an appropriate deficit for you would be of the order of 250 Cal a day which would result, under ideal conditions, in a loss in the 0.2kg per week range whereas water weight variations could easily be as large as a couple of kilos (i.e. 10x larger)

Get yourself a trending weight app to have SOME chance of being able to gauge your progress.

Evaluate whether weight loss or some other target such as recomp is a more appropriate goal.

This. People who start in the overweight or obese category have one small advantage in they have much larger margins to work with. By the time such a person gets into the normal weight category, they might be proficient enough to lose weight via eyeballing.
    Someone starting in the normal weight category is going to have a much more sensitive system with an incredibly narrow margin. Even when progress is happening, measuring it is going to be hard to parse out from noise.

Thanks, I heard that. I am gonna wait for while and see
  • Femilaxx1xo
    edited May 2019
    What you all think of recomp??? Someone mentioned it. I kinda wanna do it but I am scared if I mess it up or something. At this point cutting is easier for me.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member

OP, this is perhaps the best advice in this thread - and all the other stuff is good too (so don't slam me for favoritism guys). I made a couple of parts of @PAV8888's response bold because they are nuggets. You should take a look at what recomposition is and see if might be right for you, since you are already well into a healthy weight range. If you eat at or close to maintenance and do appropriate movements/training, you may find that staying the same weight while changing your shape over time may give you the results you have in mind.

Thank you!!!! Idk about recomp. I have 26% body fat. My scale estimated that. I want to get toned. I dnt hold a lot of fat in my legs. It’s mainly my upper back and stomach. I want to get rid of them. I feel like doing a recomp will confuse me a lot.

Body fat scales aren't an accurate way to read your body fat.

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

Generally, it doesn't seem possible to pick where fat comes off the body.
    You can control where you gain muscle.
    Recomposition will depend on how you feel about resistance training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I find it hard to believe you don’t achieve 500 steps a day. I live in quite a small house and manage 200 in the morning before leaving the house just doing things like making breakfast, dressing and going to the loo.

Idk tbh.😣

download an app to your phone that tracks steps. The only way you're only getting 500-1000 steps in a day is if you're actually basically doing nothing at all. When I was a student, I walked to my classes, etc. Heck, I'm a desk jockey and sit most of the day and still get around 8,000 in a day...I usually have 2K-3K before I even leave the house just getting ready for the day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Yeah, I lay around like a slug all winter long (retired, lackadaisical housekeeper, sedentary winter hobbies), just a little grocery shopping and that sort of thing (for one!). I thought I probably wasn't getting 1000 steps some days. Turned out that even my low days tend to be in the low thousands (2000-4000 would be typical, and frequent low . . . but even then I had some days 5000-6000, and only a couple as low as 1800). I was surprised.

And I wasn't doing nearly as much walking activity then as you report for yourself, OP.