Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    FYI: I opened up my diary for friends only. I know most of the people in this group are in my friends list. Constructive criticism is welcome =)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    At least we got our bacon back.

Bacon?!?!?! Who's got bacon?!?!?! I want bacon!!!!

That Beg'on strips commercial just popped into my head. LOL

"I love you!" "I love bacon" "I love you" "I love bacon!" "bacon bacon bacon!"
  • dittiepe
    Options

If you're like me and just flat out afraid of any flour, there are a couple of "pizza crust" recipes that use veggies like cauliflower and zucchini that are absolutely wonderful. They're on the website in my sig.
    Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of zucchini! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

edited to say zucchini, not squash!

There's a recipe on my website in my sig for a zucchini pizza crust. One is there for a cauliflower crust too. I started gathering all sorts of low carb, atkins-friendly recipes on the site because I absolutely LOVE to cook. And it's now all in one spot for me instead of having to google all the time. Hehe
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

If you're like me and just flat out afraid of any flour, there are a couple of "pizza crust" recipes that use veggies like cauliflower and zucchini that are absolutely wonderful. They're on the website in my sig.
    Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of zucchini! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

edited to say zucchini, not squash!

There's a recipe on my website in my sig for a zucchini pizza crust. One is there for a cauliflower crust too. I started gathering all sorts of low carb, atkins-friendly recipes on the site because I absolutely LOVE to cook. And it's now all in one spot for me instead of having to google all the time. Hehe

Thanks! I'm going to take a look at that!
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to take a look at that!

Very welcome :) If you, or anyone else here, has recipes you'd like me to add, just msg me with them and I'll post 'em.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    If it weren't for this group, I would leave MFP. Seriously. I was about to just delete my whole account a few minutes ago, then realized that this is the only place to get real support online for Atkins. Plus, you guys are pretty cool =)
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    If it weren't for this group, I would leave MFP. Seriously. I was about to just delete my whole account a few minutes ago, then realized that this is the only place to get real support online for Atkins. Plus, you guys are pretty cool =)

*hugs*
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

*hugs*

Thanks. I don't know if I am being oversensitive or not. I'm usually one of those tough-skinned, eye rolling, hard *kitten* Republican-types lol. I guess I've never really encountered this type of "discrimination" <---lack of a better word. At least not in my adult life. I guess I don't know how to handle other people judging and bashing me for something I take personally. Not that I take Atkins personally, per se. Just my weight loss efforts.

Living in NYC my whole life has spoiled me I guess ha ha. There is just so much diversity here, that you can't really hate people. You'd drive yourself crazy. I know this city gets a bad rep sometimes, but we really are very accepting of everyone.
  • Cici2329
    Cici2329 Posts: 35
    Options
    I know I don't post on this thread much, but I do love it. I've been eating a ton of junk lately and feel pretty gross. It's been very busy at work, plus lots of food related events. No self control the past couple of weeks. I'm ready to get back on a plan, up my protein, lower my carbs, and feel better. I'm not specifically following Atkins, just using it for inspiration and ideas, but the positivity and encouragement in this thread is great.

Cici
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I probably won't be around much for the next few days. I'm getting ready to head to the super hot Colorado River valley for a weekend of family, beer, buffets and gambling. I'll probably put on a few pounds but I'll have a great time doing it. :drinker:

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and know that I'm rooting for each and every one of you to meet your daily goals while I'm gone. :heart:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Lockef- thanks for the link that fat whoosh makes sense and gives me hope wish my would whoosh more often.:grumble: I lose like 10 in 2 weeks then stop for 2 months but lose inches.

Susan- I have my diary set to 10% carbs but don't reach them most days, 40% protein and 50% fat. I eat lots of fat, and try to get a lot of protein in. I use coconut oil, butter, and of course bacon grease and some olive oil but after reading up now prefer coconut to olive. I am hoping my plateaus are from this whoosh thing and I will whoosh soon!:laugh:

A lady on another thread used slices of eggplant for pizza crust I know it is a little higher in carb than zucchini but would give you a larger base if you used the fat end or even cut it lengthwise. I would probably brown both sides firstthen bake with toppings and cheese.
  • Meganne1982
    Options

Yummy! I found a pizza restaurant in Estes Park, Colorado that serves up a pizza on a crust of squash! I liked it so much, that my husband has started getting creative with the squash and zucchini. Now he makes a chicken enchalada with zucchini, and pretty much grills it for me every other night...

What is the place? My family travels to Estes frequently...actaully just got back a couple weeks ago. Next time we're there I want to try it!

It's called Poppy's. Here is the menu: http://poppyspizzaandgrill.com/
    You can substitue your crust for shredded zuchini, and you can individualize your toppings and sauces. They have some great varieties of low-carb sauces, too. Are you in Colorado? I'm in northern Colorado near Loveland.

Thanks for the info- I'm going there next time I'm in town. :) I live in Nebraska but my brother lives in Denver and my aunt lives in Boulder, and besides visits to them, my mother always takes us on a yearly trip to Estes park. It's been a family tradition since she was a kid! :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I have felt that way many times and even deleted a previous account to this one due to people...........

The hate toward the low carb community was wayyyyy worse in 2009 when I first joined, just ask AmyinVegas how much I was berated, kicked and put down for my way of eating...............

I'm still here standing strong!!!
  • kittrelle
    Options
    For additional support (and a LOT of wise advice) I like the Atkins Diet bulletin board site...these people are commando Atkins followers!!! They will give you advice and pull no punches if you aren't toeing the line in this WOE!!! Just google it!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Grokette you're back!!!!! YAY! Happy able to post again day! LOL:drinker:
  • Grokette
    Options
    For additional support (and a LOT of wise advice) I like the Atkins Diet bulletin board site...these people are commando Atkins followers!!! They will give you advice and pull no punches if you aren't toeing the line in this WOE!!! Just google it!

Yes, I am a donating supporter of the site.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    So I have a question for those of you in maintenance mode. What are your typical carbs per day that keep you at your weight? I'm considering looking into Atkins, but I'm trying to figure out if it's something I could do long term. If the carbs are reasonable then I think I could do it. I think it would be hard to give up my oatmeal in the morning and my multigrain sandwich thins at lunch (not to mention ice cream and other sweets!)
    Edit: sorry if this has been asked before, but there's so many pages and I'm just taking a quick break from studying for finals!
  • Grokette
    Options
    So I have a question for those of you in maintenance mode. What are your typical carbs per day that keep you at your weight? I'm considering looking into Atkins, but I'm trying to figure out if it's something I could do long term. If the carbs are reasonable then I think I could do it. I think it would be hard to give up my oatmeal in the morning and my multigrain sandwich thins at lunch (not to mention ice cream and other sweets!)
    Edit: sorry if this has been asked before, but there's so many pages and I'm just taking a quick break from studying for finals!

A lot factors into it.

Individuality
    Activity Level

Everyone's carb level is different that is why you find your critical carb limit for losing and then your ACE - which is your maintenance equilibrium.

The oatmeal and sandwich thins would be temporary things to give up.
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    I just had to share this to see if anyone else gets why am banging my head on a wall right now.

I posted something on a carb debate thread where I mention that my mother had T2 diabetes, went waaayyy low-carb and now is no longer diabetic... .

A man responded that what I said is irrelevent because he has T2 diabetes and eats lots of carbs.

?
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Well, just like you said, I've spent the last few days researching and ............today's the day I've started my induction. Going from checking out cals and the amounts of fats in foods, to checking out the carbs and ignoring the fats takes a lot of getting used to! For example, I had scrambled egg for brekkie made with butter. It felt very strange....but tasted awsome! Just cooked up some garlic butter prawns for lunch, so I've having that with salad. I'm using the Atkins carb counter on my iphone and anything I can't find, I'm switching over to MFP to find the nutritional info to add it. I've gradually been reducing my carbs over the last few weeks.

I sprinkled a little dried tarragon in to my scrambled egg and it was delish

Are there any Aussie Atkins followers that use this board?

Rach