Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    SO...after 6 months of strict no cheating, I had bad carbs over the weekend. I'm not beating myself up, and I didn't gain anything, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it will take me to get back into ketosis? I'm back to strict Induction again. Thanks!

I had had a carb up day last Saturday (timed it for my friends graduation party), and I checked this morning and I'm already in ketosis. I do workout in the evenings though, so I think that may have helped to speed it up.

If you've been in ketosis for 6 months, it was probably good that you had a carb up, and it shouldn't take you that long to get back in to ketosis since your body is used to it by now.

Good to know! I've never bought the strips. I can always tell I'm in Ketosis because I wake up with really acidic breath, and some other things I won't mention here. I think I'm back.
  • martinah4
    Options
    SO...after 6 months of strict no cheating, I had bad carbs over the weekend. I'm not beating myself up, and I didn't gain anything, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it will take me to get back into ketosis? I'm back to strict Induction again. Thanks!

I had had a carb up day last Saturday (timed it for my friends graduation party), and I checked this morning and I'm already in ketosis. I do workout in the evenings though, so I think that may have helped to speed it up.

If you've been in ketosis for 6 months, it was probably good that you had a carb up, and it shouldn't take you that long to get back in to ketosis since your body is used to it by now.
    Hmm....I quoted this with the intenet of sharing what I can't wait to "carb up" on. But, I am drawing a blank. I used to crave sweets all the time. Now...nothing.

YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Funny, I wasn't craving the cake at the wedding rehearsal/wedding last weekend. My descent into Carb-Wasteland started at the rehearsal dinner at Gumbos Louisianna Style Cafe in Denver. I ordered the blackened tenderloin, and it came with mashed potatos (if you think that's bad, you should have seen what the other options were). So the steak had this sauce on it, and I'm still not sure what was in it, but it was yummy. So, then I justified eating the mashed potatos. Then, my son didn't finish his almond-crusted chicken, so I finished it for him. At that point, I was like, "Well, I may as well have the chocolate cake with white chocolate truffles and icing since I'm already over on carbs." That train of thought led to me eating the rice/pea/carrot medley with my chicken at the wedding dinner the next night (again, all sorts of stuff on that plate I couldn't identify), and then wedding cake. On our way home, my husband (who's not dieting) thought it'd be a good idea to stop and get tacos at Taco Bell (these were not so yummy-- I don't miss those). And that stop was only because Krispy Kreme was closed (tragedy, narrowly averted?) Now you see how my mind works, and why I have to go cold-turkey on carbs, and every other bad habit!
  • momof2_0710
    momof2_0710 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    commenting so I can read later.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Wow! You've done really well with Atkins. I'm always in search of food ideas. What do you eat for snacks?

I allow myself Coke Zero, and I always have 1 Atkins bar at night. It satisfies my sweet tooth, and is a mini-reward for a good day. Also, I buy Skippy Natural Creamy peanut butter, and allow myself 2 TBS a day. I snack on deli smoked ham, cheese, almonds, PB, bbq pork rinds. Also, you can put a serving of parmesan cheese on a silicon baking sheet or parchment paper, bake it till it melts, and you've got a cheese crisp. These are good for dipping in ranch dressing. Watch your carb count on that one, though! I've seen recipes for that all over the internet.
  • martinah4
    Options
    I usually have cheese or nuts. I've just recently discovered MiM's (muffin in a minute), and these are AWESOME! I made one last night with raw peanut butter and it was delish!

Here's a linky...

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

The main recipe uses cinnamon, but you can be creative.

I have MIM's 2-3 times a week, but never with peanut butter. So, you just substitute the peanut butter for the cinnamon? How much do you add? Sounds like I need to try this!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why some would be against Atkins. I was actually put on this diet towards the end of my first pregnancy and it did wonders, not just for weight maintenance but overall health. I am also practicing Atkins now and thoroughly enjoy it. I have a friend who has integrated Atkins in his diet for over a year now...its not anything close to an unhealthy diet. Or even a fad diet. Carbs are not your friend, and really...the diet doesn't say never ever again eat carbs...it's all in choosing the right carbs, eating the bad carbs in moderation...meaning, not daily lol.

I have an idea for a recipe if you would like to try...its an alternative for shepherds pie...

Cauliflower-I get the steamers bags from the grocery store.
    Green Beans- 1 basic can
    Shredded Cheese- your choice
    Ground turkey or chicken- 1 pack I think its 16oz
    French Onion soup mix

I brown chicken or turkey, drain if needed, mix in soup mix, place in a casserole dish, top with green beans and already steamed cauliflower, then cheese and bake till cheese is melted...you can of course mix up the ingredients...that is about 250 cals per serving with very little carbs...serves 4...

I have a low carb recipe website. Can I add this to it? This sounds great :)
  • martinah4
    Options
    I dont understand why some would be against Atkins. I was actually put on this diet towards the end of my first pregnancy and it did wonders, not just for weight maintenance but overall health. I am also practicing Atkins now and thoroughly enjoy it. I have a friend who has integrated Atkins in his diet for over a year now...its not anything close to an unhealthy diet. Or even a fad diet. Carbs are not your friend, and really...the diet doesn't say never ever again eat carbs...it's all in choosing the right carbs, eating the bad carbs in moderation...meaning, not daily lol.

I have an idea for a recipe if you would like to try...its an alternative for shepherds pie...

Cauliflower-I get the steamers bags from the grocery store.
    Green Beans- 1 basic can
    Shredded Cheese- your choice
    Ground turkey or chicken- 1 pack I think its 16oz
    French Onion soup mix

I brown chicken or turkey, drain if needed, mix in soup mix, place in a casserole dish, top with green beans and already steamed cauliflower, then cheese and bake till cheese is melted...you can of course mix up the ingredients...that is about 250 cals per serving with very little carbs...serves 4...

It takes time to change the conventional wisdom. People resists change. But, I've noticed that the tide is slowly shifting away from bad carbs and low fat diets!

I like your recipe. I wonder how it would taste with ground beef? I'll have to try it. My husband makes me a delicious meal we call "goulash" for lack of a better name. It's basicly ground beef with squash, onions, green or red bell peppers, tomatos and cheese. All sauteed together in a pan with a little olive oil. Really quick and easy to make! Nom, nom, nom....
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I have MIM's 2-3 times a week, but never with peanut butter. So, you just substitute the peanut butter for the cinnamon? How much do you add? Sounds like I need to try this!

I don't know the exact amount, a little more than a spoonful, and yes... without the cinnamon. I zapped the butter and peanut butter for about 15 seconds in the microwave before mixing it with the dry ingredients so that they would mix better. I think it came out better than the original recipe.

Be careful with how much peanut butter you use if you use regular peanut butter (Jif/Peter Pan) because they do have sugar in them.
  • martinah4
    Options

I don't know the exact amount, a little more than a spoonful, and yes... without the cinnamon. I zapped the butter and peanut butter for about 15 seconds in the microwave before mixing it with the dry ingredients so that they would mix better. I think it came out better than the original recipe.

Be careful with how much peanut butter you use if you use regular peanut butter (Jif/Peter Pan) because they do have sugar in them.

Thank you, I can't wait to try this! I use Skippy Natural which is 4 net carbs per serving. What do you use for peanut butter? I can't find any with lower than 4 net carbs/serving.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this with almond butter? It's lower in carbs and I'll bet it would work great in a MIM. I may need to give it a shot tomorrow after I buy more eggs.
  • lockef
    Options
    I haven't tried almond butter. Let us know how it goes if you try it. :happy:
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I made a fabulous shephards pie this morning so I could have lunch today at work and for the next few days. I did my cauliflower with a stick blender. I am up the carb ladder since I'm close to goal so I had 1/2 cup corn and a can of sweet peas in it. Still very much a lower carb dish then the old potato version. Very filling and so good. I used 1/3 fat cream cheese and sharp cheddar and melted it then spread it between the layers and on top and it was way better than velveeta and much lower in carbs.

Anyway wanted to share that.

down a couple more lbs this week.

work that ladder cuz it works!

Have a great evening.
  • Suzieqt81
    Suzieqt81 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh my fiance will thank you for this idea!
    [/quote]

If you get the garlic flavored steamers bag of cauliflower and mash it or go the extra mile and ground it up, when in this casserole really plays the role of mashed potatoes...hope you guys enjoy...
  • Suzieqt81
    Suzieqt81 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try cream cheese in the shepherds pie for awhile now...sounds great!

Question...I plan to drop by the super market today and wanted to know where one might find this flaxmeal for the MiM'S
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently interested but I wanted to let you know that I have done it before, and it was my first successful diet - I hit 128 for the first (and last, so far, lol) time in my adult life. However, I didn't do any exercise to compliment it, and I decided it was more important to me to be able to eat with other people and have birthday cake and stuff like that, than to have a different number on the scale. I bet if I would have been working out so i had some amazing muscles to show off once the fat was gone, it would have been a more meaningful experience for me. As is though I think I lost 15lbs or so and I was really impressed with how well it worked. (-: Best of luck to all of you; I'm so happy when I see people working hard at getting what they want out of life!
  • lockef
    Options
    Some general grocery stores may not have it. If you go to a store that carries a lot of organic stuff (trader joes/whole foods), it'll be in the same aisle as where the flour is.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I've been under 20g of net carbs for the past few days. Yesterday I only had 16.6. Is this bad? Do I HAVE to get to the 20g mark? Or is it ok to stay under?

Also, I'm using fatsecret.com to track my food (you can customize it for Atkins) and I am eating a lot of fat. I average about 60% a day of fat, with carbs being about 15% and protein as 25%. Is this ok? The high percentage of fat scares me. I'm not scared of fat, just scared of dangerous amounts of fat.
  • lockef
    Options
    It's ok to be under, but being that low kinda says that you aren't eating your veggies (tsk tsk).

I used to be scared of my fat intake as well. We've been trained to think that too much fat was bad for us, and it takes a while to switch the way we think.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yeah I only ate veggies with lunch yesterday. I had a really really light dinner because I was planning to make a LC "cheesecake" dessert. Then I just wasn't hungry at all, so I couldn't justify making it "just because" lol. Now that I think of it, I totally should have ha ha ha. Cheesecake would be really nice right now!

Also, I cook rice for my family. I don't use a rice cooker, so the only way for me to know when it is done is to taste some of it. Four grains of white rice won't set me back right?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try cream cheese in the shepherds pie for awhile now...sounds great!

Question...I plan to drop by the super market today and wanted to know where one might find this flaxmeal for the MiM'S
    I've seen it in some supermarkets. It's usually in the organics area, but you might find it with the flour, too. Trader Joe's definitely has it and so does Costco.