How many more calories

Options
lalalacroix
lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm 20 pounds from goal weight. I believe I need to eat more for 2 reasons. The first is that I've started losing weight at a more rapid pace and the second is because I'm closer to goal.

SW 222
CW 176
GW 155
Height 5'7"

I aim for 1,500 calories per day but have averaged 1,600 - 1700 since February. In March I lost 1 lb/week, then April I lost 1.3lbs/week and now in May 1.8 lbs/week. I weight most foods and log everything.

My exercise routine has remained about the same. I've been using the same calorie calculator during this time. I eat all my exercise calories.

I feel at this point that I should be losing at 1 lb/week until I have 10 pounds to go then lose at .5 per week. I think I should probably up my calories to 1,750 and then wait a couple of weeks to reassess. Any comments on how many calories to add?

Honestly I'm pretty perplexed on why I'm losing faster. Calorie input and output (exercise) hasn't changed. Although I do have a lot of energy and stay pretty active and am somewhat more active than a few months ago. I just can't imagine that it's enough to make a difference in this many calories per day.

Anyways, comments and wisdom appreciated. 🙂

Replies

• Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you’re averaging 1600-1700 and thinking of upping to 1750 that’s not a huge jump. I’d say give it a go and monitor it to find what works for you. You might be retaining less water or being more active in ways you’re not noticing such as walking more or getting more efficient in the gym?
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

Do you use volume measurements (cups, tsp, etc.) or servings (a piece, slice, etc.)?

Do you compensate for workout calories?

If you share your food log, we can help.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I might even try to hit maintenance for a few weeks to try and find where you actually are due to the increased activity then you can do the weight loss adjustment from there. Due to the increased activity and muscle mass, you might be surprised at your actual maintenance amount at your current weight.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

Do you use volume measurements (cups, tsp, etc.) or servings (a piece, slice, etc.)?

Do you compensate for workout calories?

If you share your food log, we can help.

As stated above, I weigh most food and log all food. I eat all exercise calories. Not sure how sharing my diary will be helpful.

Again my average intake is 1600-1700 calories.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    That's a tiny adjustment when you want to make a significant difference to your rate of loss.
    +250 (half pound a week difference) minimum I would suggest and reassess after a month with finer adjustments probably required?

Yeah I see your point. An extra 250 would be 1850-1950 calories per day. I guess I feel a little anxious about going up that much simply because I carried this weight for almost 10 years and I'm worried about screwing this up. Mathematically what you are saying makes sense.
    If I were you, I might even try to hit maintenance for a few weeks to try and find where you actually are due to the increased activity then you can do the weight loss adjustment from there. Due to the increased activity and muscle mass, you might be surprised at your actual maintenance amount at your current weight.

I really have no clue what my maintenance calories are. Based on losses this month I'm guessing about 2,500. I haven't had a diet break for a while, but I'm not really feeling the need either. I can see the benefit in knowing the current maintenance number.

If my maintenance is now 2,500 then I would be surprised. My past diet breaks have been at 2,000 calories.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    That's a tiny adjustment when you want to make a significant difference to your rate of loss.
    +250 (half pound a week difference) minimum I would suggest and reassess after a month with finer adjustments probably required?

Yeah I see your point. An extra 250 would be 1850-1950 calories per day. I guess I feel a little anxious about going up that much simply because I carried this weight for almost 10 years and I'm worried about screwing this up. Mathematically what you are saying makes sense.

Well calorie counting is basically a maths game - emotion gets in the way of logic unfortunately.
    Think of it as good practice for when you get down to your goal range and you are going to have to make quite a few mental/emotional adjustments from short term weight loss to long term weight maintenance.
    Trust the process that brought you so far.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What happened to me was that I had my calories set too low when I hit about 180. I was still trying to eat 1300 Net. I was so hungry but worse I started bonking with my workouts. I had to go up (I was set at "Lose 2 pounds")

I went up to 1600 Net. That was so much better. At 163 pounds I was in a healthy BMI. I wanted to get mid-range so I changed the goal to 1500. Yeah, that was super hard and I couldn't actually stick with it. So I was technically eating about 1700-1900 Net, to lose that last 15 pounds.

It's a mental game. It gets exponentially harder the closer to goal you get. There is a lot of juggling. Trust the process.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I’m having the same debate. I’m down 30lbs from my starting weight, and it’s been a pretty steady 1-1.5 lbs down per week, I’m feeling pretty good, but in the last couple of weeks my energy levels have tanked, and I keep hitting plateaus because my body is hanging on to a lot of excess water. I know I need to up my calories, and slow my weight loss as I’m only 15 lbs from my goal. But it’s really hard to convince myself that adding 200-250 calories daily doesn’t mean I’m quitting.

I need to adjust my goals and expectations. I’m just ready to be done!

I’ve been eating 1400-1500 calories daily with a few maintenance breaks scattered around. I’ve decided to eat 1650-1750 for a few weeks and see if that helps my energy levels, and water retention.

Best of luck to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    I’m having the same debate. I’m down 30lbs from my starting weight, and it’s been a pretty steady 1-1.5 lbs down per week, I’m feeling pretty good, but in the last couple of weeks my energy levels have tanked, and I keep hitting plateaus because my body is hanging on to a lot of excess water. I know I need to up my calories, and slow my weight loss as I’m only 15 lbs from my goal. But it’s really hard to convince myself that adding 200-250 calories daily doesn’t mean I’m quitting.

I need to adjust my goals and expectations. I’m just ready to be done!

I’ve been eating 1400-1500 calories daily with a few maintenance breaks scattered around. I’ve decided to eat 1650-1750 for a few weeks and see if that helps my energy levels, and water retention.

Best of luck to you.

Yeah I agree that it's odd after restricting for a while.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    So I'm 20 pounds from goal weight. I believe I need to eat more for 2 reasons. The first is that I've started losing weight at a more rapid pace and the second is because I'm closer to goal.

SW 222
    CW 176
    GW 155
    Height 5'7"

I aim for 1,500 calories per day but have averaged 1,600 - 1700 since February. In March I lost 1 lb/week, then April I lost 1.3lbs/week and now in May 1.8 lbs/week. I weight most foods and log everything.

My exercise routine has remained about the same. I've been using the same calorie calculator during this time. I eat all my exercise calories.

I feel at this point that I should be losing at 1 lb/week until I have 10 pounds to go then lose at .5 per week. I think I should probably up my calories to 1,750 and then wait a couple of weeks to reassess. Any comments on how many calories to add?

Honestly I'm pretty perplexed on why I'm losing faster. Calorie input and output (exercise) hasn't changed. Although I do have a lot of energy and stay pretty active and am somewhat more active than a few months ago. I just can't imagine that it's enough to make a difference in this many calories per day.

The difference between the first two months and May's numbers is about 400 calories a day that you would either be over logging or burning now. If there has been a significant change in your life that you believe has upped your daily activity you should increase your calories if not I wouldn't make any decisions based on May's numbers because that is not enough data. There is no reason you should not up it to 1750 but you could also stay the course for a little longer and make a more accurate adjustment.

I do a fair amount of number crunching on myself each Friday and I have seen some 3 week spans of time that the numbers would make me believe a lot of things that were not true. Since I have tracked for so long though I know how to see those outliers in context.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

SW 222
    CW 176
    GW 155
    Height 5'7"

The difference between the first two months and May's numbers is about 400 calories a day that you would either be over logging or burning now. If there has been a significant change in your life that you believe has upped your daily activity you should increase your calories if not I wouldn't make any decisions based on May's numbers because that is not enough data. There is no reason you should not up it to 1750 but you could also stay the course for a little longer and make a more accurate adjustment.

I do a fair amount of number crunching on myself each Friday and I have seen some 3 week spans of time that the numbers would make me believe a lot of things that were not true. Since I have tracked for so long though I know how to see those outliers in context.

I really considered this actually and agree that three weeks isn't necessarily enough time to determine a change should be made. But then I thought that because I lost more in April than March and then more in May than April there might be an uptick in activity. Then again I wouldn't think it was 400 calories different. Regardless, I should raise calories due to being closer to goal. So I'm going with 1,800, which is about 150 more per day, for the next month and then I'll reassess.