Iced Tea recipe?

Options
mommyjos
mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
Hi all! Trying to cut down on the Diet coke and other drinks, but I struggle with just water. I made some iced tea today with just tea bags, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup lemon juice. It's tasty, but I know there's still 76 calories per serving. Wondering if anyone has a good tea recipe with less calories, but still a good taste? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do....

For one gallon of tea...
    8 tea bags
    SWEET N LOW!!!! ( I like 8 per gallon, hubby likes 12...)

Works great for green tea too!
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You should look into the crystal light packets. They have all different flavors of iced and others. Only 5 cals per serving. still sweet and none of the additives
  • DJParrish01
    DJParrish01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I still OCCASIONALLY have lemonade with real sugar. I'm not going to give it up completely! However, I usually drink Crystal Light. It's really good.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of iced tea, all of it unsweetened. This is especially easy if you use flavored teas - Celestial Seasoning makes a cold-brew raspberry tea that's super tasty, but in the last couple of weeks I've also made peach-flavored tea and mint tea and the flavoring sort of negates the need for sweetness.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Good Earth makes a tea called Sweet & Spicy. It has great flavor. You may not need any sweetener. I like it w/stevia.
  • nathalie24
    Options
    Yeahhh (: I LOVEE TEA!!
    Here are my ideas:
    1. Try decaf green tea or decaf green tea with mint bags. (my fav are Biggelo and Tazo)
    Note: decaf tea is the same as decaf coffee- it isn't really non-caffeine its less caffeine
    2. Put a pot of water on the stove an bring to boil, turn off heat, THEN add the tea bags
    3. Sweeten with honey, lemon, or Stevia in the raw
    (i like it better than the other artificial sweeteners cause i haven't heard anything bad about it yet)
    4. Let cool then but in a pitcher and in the fridge
    Note: don't add ice (as my momma says) It only waters it down and when you put it in the glass you add ice

TADAAA **magically delicious** and green tea clams to speed your metabolism? idk.. but i love it (:
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    same receipe as yours minus the sugar add 1 splenda per 8 oz glass=zero calories

enjoy!
  • nathalie24
    Options
    OHHHH AND i love the Lipton bottled diet green teas!!
    No cals, no sugar, and like 30g of sodium!!
    try it you WONT regret it
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this a few days ago and it's how I make my tea too...........sooooo good!!! :)

* 2 cups boiling water
    * 6 cups cool water
    * 6 tea bags
    * 1 pinch of baking soda

All you have to do is boil the water, take a heat proof pitcher (or you can just make it in a pot then pour it into stuff once it's completely made, that's what I do) and put the pinch of baking soda in that. Then, pour your hot water in, and add your tea bags. Let them steep for 15 minutes and add your cool water, then refrigerate.

For those of you who like it very slightly sweet, adding a little sugar is not going to hurt it!

Why the baking soda, you ask? It takes the bitterness out and leaves you with clear tea!
  • dalesimpson1
    dalesimpson1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I steep 7 black tea bags in 2 quarts of water then add 1/2 of one crystal light lemonade cup, (the kind that would make 2 quarts).

It's awesome and sugar free.
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like adding Splenda to my iced tea but you can always start by using agave nectar. It has a low glycemic index and a little goes a long way, so that will help with the calories.

I really like to buy the Stash flavored teas and loose tea leaves from Teavana.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I brew 2 mint tea bags with 1 green tea bag the single cup sized tea bags, in 6 cups of water. Then just add water to fill gallon tea pitcher. Don't miss the sugar at all and my kids love it as well.
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    I drink tons of iced tea, all of it unsweetened. This is especially easy if you use flavored teas - Celestial Seasoning makes a cold-brew raspberry tea that's super tasty, but in the last couple of weeks I've also made peach-flavored tea and mint tea and the flavoring sort of negates the need for sweetness.

I 2nd the Celestial Seasonings. Their Imperial White Peach is to die for, both iced and hot. And it's fantastic unsweetened as well. I also enjoy me some good quality green iced tea unsweetened. It's so light and refreshing!
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OHHHH AND i love the Lipton bottled diet green teas!!
    No cals, no sugar, and like 30g of sodium!!
    try it you WONT regret it

I second that!
  • happyfootnurse
    Options
    LOVE iced tea! I drink it daily. I make my tea with bags as usual but I skip the sugar and use "Truvia" which is a form of the Stevia plant. This is a natural way of getting your sugar satisfaction without the chemicals or calories. You don't want to use artificial sweeteners....they are no good for you. BTW..Truvia is sold at most grocery stores located by that nasty sugar.