Changed my loss per week

Options
Hi, I’m sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

I’m kind of stuck. I’ve lost 16 pounds since February. I decided to switch to losing 1 pound per week instead of 1.5 pounds. I was eating 1,200 calories on my 1.5 per week goal. Now, MFP says 1,380 calories for a 1 pound loss. I’m scared of increasing.. will that make me gain instead of lose?? Is switching to one 1 pound per week a good idea?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Have you stuck to your calorie goal since Feb?

Your real world results indicate you're losing on average 4lbs per month. If you've had a few days off then that's not really an issue, but if you were set to 1.5lb per week, stuck to your goal and were logging accurately you should have seen a loss of around 24lbs and haven't so you're eating more than you think, burning less than you think or a combination of the two.

• jessackerman21
    jessackerman21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Your real world results indicate you're losing on average 4lbs per month. If you've had a few days off then that's not really an issue, but if you were set to 1.5lb per week, stuck to your goal and were logging accurately you should have seen a loss of around 24lbs and haven't so you're eating more than you think, burning less than you think or a combination of the two.

I’ve changed it up a few times. Started with 2 pounds per week then switched to 1.5.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

I’ve changed it up a few times. Started with 2 pounds per week then switched to 1.5.

What I mean is, have you stuck to eating to your goal or have you had days you've gone over/not logged/guessed intake/forgotten things/not used a food scale.
  • jessackerman21
    jessackerman21 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

What I mean is, have you stuck to eating to your goal or have you had days you've gone over/not logged/guessed intake/forgotten things/not used a food scale.

Yeah, I’ve definitely had a feel slip ups. Not perfect
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    this thread needs mildred
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yeah, I’ve definitely had a feel slip ups. Not perfect

You're not likely to gain from dropping it down to 1lb per week, but if you're not logging accurately you might see slower loss than you're expecting but I would check you progress after 4-6 weeks and adjust based on your real world results.

I.E. if after 4-6 weeks you've losing less than 4-6lbs, eat less, if you're losing more, eat more.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

I’m kind of stuck. I’ve lost 16 pounds since February. I decided to switch to losing 1 pound per week instead of 1.5 pounds. I was eating 1,200 calories on my 1.5 per week goal. Now, MFP says 1,380 calories for a 1 pound loss. I’m scared of increasing.. will that make me gain instead of lose?? Is switching to one 1 pound per week a good idea?

No, it will not make you gain weight if you stick to your 1380. It should do what it says it is going to do, which is put your weight loss at 1 pound per week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

But keep in mind the lowest mfp will put you is 1200 cals... which is only 180/day less than when you chose 1lb/week, so you should have lost 1.35 lbs/week at 1200 is 1380 = 1 lb. so you lost 16 lbs in 14ish weeks, so 1.14 lbs... increasing your cals by 180 from that point should then lead to about 0.8 lbs/week, using your real-world loss, even though you set MFP to 1 lb,
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If MFP only gave OP 180 more calories when they switched from 1.5 to 1 lb/ week, then a net of 1200 calories wouldn’t have given the real world result of 1.5/week anyway. It was probably suggesting 1200 because it doesn’t offer a goal below that.

OP - if you put in your stats right, including your new current weight, and MFP have you 1380 to eat, then you should be able to eat that and lose 1 lb/week. Be sure you’re weighing/logging everything, taking care not to overestimate calories burned in exercise, and netting an average of 1380 (if you go over one day, you can go a little under another day). If you do this consistently and you’re not losing an average of 1 lb/week over 4-6 weeks, you can adjust your goal.

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    this thread needs mildred

Ask and ye shall receive. You can find that and many other useful infographics here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10642346/weight-loss-frequently-asked-questions-infographic-answers/p1

qnjvldsbymag.jpg