Lose fat but increase athletic performance?

Hello, I am looking for tips on how to get more cut but maintain my muscle, while increasing strength, endurance, cardio and bone density/durability.

Diet/nutrition tips are welcome, as well as fitness routines and all training tips.

Information about my situation: I started my fitness journey two months ago, lost 13lbs since then. 212 lbs currently. Was very out of shape with weak bone structure starting since 5 years ago and peaking 4 months ago before I started going for walks, which hurt my feet after 20 minutes.

Things I have had issues with during fitness journeys before: bone strength, injuries, losing weight too rapidly that it became unhealthy and sacrificed strength and overall endurance/durability, overworking one specific exercise and doing damage and struggling with incorporating different/new routines - becoming too set in my regimens that I don't mix it up enough to see progress anymore (hitting that plateu).

Replies

• erekstrusinski1989
    erekstrusinski1989 Posts: 42 Member
    Lose weight at a healthy rate, ensure you're getting adequate protein and incorporate some progressive strength training.

Check out the strength training programs here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks! I'll start the beginner Wolverine workout and go up from there as I progress!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Fat loss is accomplished by a reasonable calorie deficit. Athletic performance by appropriate training for your sport or activities.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Welcome @erekstrusinski1989, so happy you've joined us here at MFP and am embarking on your fitness, health and wellness journey. Your goals, expressed in the first sentence of your post are typical, who coming here wouldn't want these?

I'm a firm believer in quantifying goals so there are clear metrics to design action plans and compare results in progress to these metrics.

You say: "Hello, I am looking for tips on how to get more cut but maintain my muscle, while increasing strength, endurance, cardio and bone density/durability."

I assume when you say to get more cut you mean reduce your bodyfat. If this is correct and this was me, I'd want to know what is my current bodyfat and what do I strive for it to be, expressed as a percentage of bodyfat.

When you say, increase my strength. I think it's important to get some benchmark lifts and capture what is your current strength as measured by those lifts. Then, you'll be able, with the assistance of others, to design a strength training program that will allow you to add to strength. You can also establish some early-bird strength goals as measured by those lifts.

Ditto for cardio which happens to be a very important goal for me, cardiovascular conditioning. Set some benchmarks and measure where you are today and establish where you want to be at various time zones of your journey.

It's all floating stuff subject to change as you get knee-deeper into it.

I believe metrics are important, otherwise, it's all a bunch of white smoke.

Answer some of these questions and other here will be able to chime in with more comments as some have already done.

Wishing you the best in your fitness, health and wellness journey. You have youth on your side so great things are possible with your desire, discipline, patience and perseverance.
  • erekstrusinski1989
    @pierinifitness oh good point: body fat 29%, mile run time around 13 minutes, max weights I don't know how to learn. Any tips on figuring that out by myself in the gym? I don't want to over exert myself trying, or short change myself on the data. I'm also unsure of what I strive for my body fat % to be, but realistically a medium level is fine.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    To lose the weight, eat at a deficit.
    To gain strength and keep muscle mass - drink/eat protein
    To gain endurance do cardio...
  • snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2019
    I've built a little muscle and little strength while losing 26 pounds over the last 9 months. All I've done is kept working out and eating 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

Admittedly, my gains are probably lower than what they would have been if I had been eating at a surplus. However, I'm happy that I made some progress while losing body fat. The last time I tried losing weight I lost a lot of muscle, because I was doing it wrong.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    @pierinifitness oh good point: body fat 29%, mile run time around 13 minutes, max weights I don't know how to learn. Any tips on figuring that out by myself in the gym? I don't want to over exert myself trying, or short change myself on the data. I'm also unsure of what I strive for my body fat % to be, but realistically a medium level is fine.

I think you need to take some time and firm up your actual goals. "Athletic performance" is very broad and it seems like the first sentence of the post that I quoted was somewhat hastily put together. Once you figure out your goals, then you will have a better idea about how to reach them.
  • erekstrusinski1989
    @snake_man_32 thank you for sharing your methods
  • snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2019
    @snake_man_32 thank you for sharing your methods

Sure. An additional bit of advice I can give is don't get discouraged if you aren't making a lot of progress in size or your lifts while you're cutting. The deficit in calories means I sometimes find it very challenging to complete a target number of sets that I could have easily done in a surplus.

IMO even just maintaining your strength and size while losing weight is a positive.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    I'm also unsure of what I strive for my body fat % to be, but realistically a medium level is fine.

Target about 20% first and you'll be "in shape". From there you can keep going down if you want.

There are a zillion articles on the 'net exploring this topic; here's one of them:
    https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • erekstrusinski1989
    I'm also unsure of what I strive for my body fat % to be, but realistically a medium level is fine.

Target about 20% first and you'll be "in shape". From there you can keep going down if you want.

There are a zillion articles on the 'net exploring this topic; here's one of them:
    https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

Ok cool, thanks.