Not seeing results

Options
So I've been consistently losing weight since January . At my highest I was 218 I'm currently 195 pounds and in 5'10". Although I've been losing weihht, I haven't been seeing visible progress. At the beginning I lost a few inches in my stomach but I haven't lost any inches in over a month and a half. I'm still ratting in a deficit around 1600 calories a day. What am I doing wrong? I do cardio and weight training 5 times a week.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Congrats on the 23 pounds!

Measuring yourself can be problematic because you may not get the tape in the same place each time. In addition fat can be stored in many places that are not measured like your face. I was kind of annoyed in the beginning because my face lost weight before much came off my belly.

Did you take pictures before you started? Sometimes they will be a better indication.

How are your clothes fitting?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Need more info. Hopefully your deficit isn't 1600. That would be too aggressive.

How long has it been since the scale moved? Your measurement changes will inconsistent, as will your fat loss because that's the nature of weight loss. There are other factors that exaggerate or hide at loss. Your process is working as evidenced by the scale over time.

Give it more time. A consistent deficit needs windows of 6-8 weeks to analyze progress. There may not be anything you're "doing wrong".

If you suspect anything, the first thing to do is make sure you are weighing and measuring everything. If you're not doing that, you can't know if you even have a deficit or how much it is. Start with that and continue to work the process.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It comes off all over. Like from your toes and calves and neck. Many of us just get proportionally smaller, so it’s hard to see visible progress. Keep going. You’re doing it Exactly right!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You're losing a bit over a pound a week, which is probably a good rate depending on your height. A tape measure alone isn't going to tell you very much unless you're taking measurements of a *lot* of body parts. Your body burns fat all over, including parts that we can't/don't measure.
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's kind of what I was thinking but it's just hard when you see tons of other people doing 8 or 12 week programs and you can see a huge difference but ive been doing this for almost 5 whole months consistently and can't tell a difference.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I understand exactly what you're talking about. I couldn't see much difference in the first months. No one else noticed until I was down about 35 pounds. I rarely measure because as others have said it's hard to get the tape in the same place and fat is lost from different areas at different times. The stomach tends to be the last place for me so I had to wait a long time before it was noticeable. It was coming off but just not as fast as in other spots. Keep going, you won't regret it. And those people who lose fast rarely keep it off. You are doing it the right way.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's kind of what I was thinking but it's just hard when you see tons of other people doing 8 or 12 week programs and you can see a huge difference but ive been doing this for almost 5 whole months consistently and can't tell a difference.

Like @annpt77 said some of it is in our heads. I continually felt better as the weight was dropped but I was so convinced that there was not much visual difference I thought I was getting away with lying about weight loss for a ridiculous amount of time and weight gone. I realize now what an idiot I was. lol
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    So I've been consistently losing weight since January . At my highest I was 218 I'm currently 195 pounds and in 5'10". Although I've been losing weihht, I haven't been seeing visible progress. At the beginning I lost a few inches in my stomach but I haven't lost any inches in over a month and a half. I'm still ratting in a deficit around 1600 calories a day. What am I doing wrong? I do cardio and weight training 5 times a week.

Not tracking what you eat accurately or need to reduce calories further.

Visual difference comes in time also, just keep at it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You see yourself every day and progress is slow so it doesn't look like any change. I am sure if you do before and during pics every 4-6 weeks you would notice a difference.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I feel you. But remember this:
    Comparison is the thief of joy.

Stay the course. You are doing great!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like your weight loss has stalled, you just don't see visible changes. You have a good rate of loss so just stay the course. It is sometimes hard to see the changes in ourselves because the changes are gradual. You are losing pounds and inches so you are doing it right. The weight training will improve your shape over time but it is a slow process.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Have you taken pictures along the way? Changes are slow and subtle and we look at ourselves everyday so it's not going to be hugely noticeable. Not to mention, our own perception often doesn't really change. In my minds eye, I don't really look any different than I did when I was 40 lbs heavier...but when I see the pictures, it's hugely obvious.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I feel you. But remember this:
    Comparison is the thief of joy.

Stay the course. You are doing great!

I feel like I have read a post similar to this recently. :tongue:
  • ANNVQ37
    ANNVQ37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You really want tot be careful with this as said above, we see lots of people come in to see us at our store looking/asking for these types of results. This is not really a good idea and we talk people away from those “huge results”. 100% of the time those programs have you in a huge caloric deficit which is not good. And this also really doesn’t educate you on a life style change but more just focuses on weight lose by not eating! The best way to find out what your BMR is ( Basal Metabolic Rate) is, this is your base calorie burn just to substain life, add in your excise level calories burned and scale back a few hundred from there. We really need to make sure we are eating to lose weight and not starving ourselves. If you need any all with this just let me know ;).

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

When did you start the weight training? I gained 7 pounds of water weight when I started weight lifting again. Took a few weeks to come off.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I also do not see a change in the mirror but when I do a side by side of before and after photos it just sort of pops. My face is less puffy, neck is slimmer etc. I have lost almost 50 lbs and still it isn't obvious to me.