INDOOR TANNING?

Options
Smacfit_
Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
HI! So I am going away in 3 ish months. I am sick of looking sickly pale/bright white on my trips.

Not interested in spray/fake tanning. Tried this before and it didnt last with frequent salt water exposure. I will be away this time for 2 months and it isnt possible to maintain.

My tanning goal is aesthetic only as I am aware a base tan does not protect from burn. I am also aware of the various risks associated with regular indoor tanning.

My question is: have any of you pale AF folks had good results from 3 months of regular indoor tanning?

No lectures on tanning please. I have educated myself on all risks involved.

Thanks!

Replies

• Smacfit_
    Options
    I'm not going to give you a lecture on tanning beds, I'm sure you know the risks involved.

I wouldn't do 3 months of indoor tanning... unless I wanted to look like Trump or look like I rolled in bag of doritos.

Was this your experience or are you just being a troll?
  • Smacfit_
    Options
    if u tan in the sun then you’ll tan at a tanning salon, just go really really slow like only 5 min at a time every couple days to start and make sure you use lotion so skin doesn’t get dry

u can also bring alcohol wipes to clean the tanning bed

What were your results like?
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I use that stain stuff for decks
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've used both tanning bed (several years ago) and sunless tanning lotions (currently) and I am VERY pale.

Tanning bed - decent base builds up within a few weeks. Take it slow so you do not burn - just a few minutes to start. Your skin will dry and you will probably be incredibly itchy. I always prefer the standing beds to avoid pressure marks and crease lines.

Sunless tanning lotion - I use it about twice a week on my face, neck and upper chest. It takes away my vampire paleness. Full body applications are challenging - it's nearly impossible to get even coverage on areas you can't see and can barely reach. Start with the lightest shade available and always exfoliate first for better coverage. I've tried several and like Loreal Sublime. It has shimmer in it which isn't always ideal.

You could do a combination of both. The tanning bed will help even out any streaking from the lotion.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I used to do some indoor tanning and if i could slap my 20 year old self over just one of my stupid decisions, it would be for this one.

That doesn’t constitute a lecture, does it?

I also really wish I didn’t have permanent hyperpigmentation issues and dark spots due to those tanning days.

Still not lecturing.

Have you considered st tropez One Night Only? Beautiful results, no streaking or bad smell, utterly waterproof. It isn’t a tanner, its a bronzer.

Did I mention i see a dermatologist every six months and I’ve had over a dozen pre-cancerous spots removed? Just bringing that up. You know, in casual conversation. Like people do.

This is why I recommend deck stain

I could offer to deck stain you if you want. A couple deck staining sessions later and you'd be covered in the stuff. A natural glow.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I used to do some indoor tanning and if i could slap my 20 year old self over just one of my stupid decisions, it would be for this one.

I also really wish I didn’t have permanent hyperpigmentation issues and dark spots due to those tanning days.

Still not lecturing.

Have you considered st tropez One Night Only? Beautiful results, no streaking or bad smell, utterly waterproof. It isn’t a tanner, its a bronzer.

Did I mention i see a dermatologist every six months and I’ve had over a dozen pre-cancerous spots removed? Just bringing that up. You know, in casual conversation. Like people do.

This is why I recommend deck stain

I could offer to deck stain you if you want. A couple deck staining sessions later and you'd be covered in the stuff. A natural glow.

lofsawy9i64f.gif
  • Smacfit_
    Options
    I use that stain stuff for decks

*slow clap*
  • Smacfit_
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I've used both tanning bed (several years ago) and sunless tanning lotions (currently) and I am VERY pale.

Tanning bed - decent base builds up within a few weeks. Take it slow so you do not burn - just a few minutes to start. Your skin will dry and you will probably be incredibly itchy. I always prefer the standing beds to avoid pressure marks and crease lines.

Sunless tanning lotion - I use it about twice a week on my face, neck and upper chest. It takes away my vampire paleness. Full body applications are challenging - it's nearly impossible to get even coverage on areas you can't see and can barely reach. Start with the lightest shade available and always exfoliate first for better coverage. I've tried several and like Loreal Sublime. It has shimmer in it which isn't always ideal.

You could do a combination of both. The tanning bed will help even out any streaking from the lotion.

Thank you!!!! Very helpful, appreciate it :)
  • Smacfit_
    Options

Still not lecturing.

Was this a result of tanning for three months only? Or extended tanning throughout your 20s?
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not a naturally pale skin person but I do tan indoors some in the spring. I would recommend starting very low minutes. If you go to a place that has low level beds (20 minutes beds) then I'd start with 5-6 minutes maybe few times a week. Second week go up to 10-12 minutes. I know it seems slow but it's not as hard on your skin and you won't burn. If you go to a place that has 12-15 minute beds, I'd start 5 minutes or so for the first week. I tan now about 2 times a week in a standup that is max 12 minutes. I don't look dark but I keep a nice glow. Make sure you moisturize well. I personally don't see a problem with self tanning as long as you don't over do it. (Other than the known natural risk of it.)

I love the spray tans if done correctly. They are much more safe, but I see your point, they don't last much in sandy vacation areas :) Hope you have a fabulous time on your trip!!

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Smacfit_ wrote: »

Still not lecturing.

Was this a result of tanning for three months only? Or extended tanning throughout your 20s?

A few months here, a few months there over the course of three years.

If you do it this time, you’ll resort to it again
  • Smacfit_
    Options
    I'm not a naturally pale skin person but I do tan indoors some in the spring. I would recommend starting very low minutes. If you go to a place that has low level beds (20 minutes beds) then I'd start with 5-6 minutes maybe few times a week. Second week go up to 10-12 minutes. I know it seems slow but it's not as hard on your skin and you won't burn. If you go to a place that has 12-15 minute beds, I'd start 5 minutes or so for the first week. I tan now about 2 times a week in a standup that is max 12 minutes. I don't look dark but I keep a nice glow. Make sure you moisturize well. I personally don't see a problem with self tanning as long as you don't over do it. (Other than the known natural risk of it.)

I love the spray tans if done correctly. They are much more safe, but I see your point, they don't last much in sandy vacation areas :) Hope you have a fabulous time on your trip!!

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your help!
  • Smacfit_
    Options
    if u tan in the sun then you’ll tan at a tanning salon, just go really really slow like only 5 min at a time every couple days to start and make sure you use lotion so skin doesn’t get dry

u can also bring alcohol wipes to clean the tanning bed

What were your results like?

they’re great, but i naturally tan in the sun

one thing too i dont think you’ll need three months, prolly just a month a few times a week will build a nice tan for vacation

Thank you!!!! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Still not lecturing.

I know this was not a follow-up directed to me, but I have had extremely similar experiences to caco_ethes (just 2 precancerous spots removed, but otherwise the same). I did 20 tans in Summer 2000 and 10 tans in Spring 2001 (in my twenties). That's literally it. 30 sessions total because it was all I could afford. Now I say thank goodness.

As for me, I'm clearly very pale-skinned, but also brunette with some Italian American heritage. I got really surprisingly dark in about 4 sessions. Just not worth it though. I will confess, I only wear sunscreen on my face though for outdoor activities and I do let my arms and legs tan a little bit, even though that is not wise.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    Options

Still not lecturing.

I know this was not a follow-up directed to me, but I have had extremely similar experiences to caco_ethes (just 2 precancerous spots removed, but otherwise the same). I did 20 tans in Summer 2000 and 10 tans in Spring 2001 (in my twenties). That's literally it. 30 sessions total because it was all I could afford. Now I say thank goodness.

As for me, I'm clearly very pale-skinned, but also brunette with some Italian American heritage. I got really surprisingly dark in about 4 sessions. Just not worth it though. I will confess, I only wear sunscreen on my face though for outdoor activities and I do let my arms and legs tan a little bit, even though that is not wise.

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975ce733765548703549e0d9ac&rid=giphy.gif
  • jackieza28
    jackieza28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Alternate from beds to booths. I use to do it years ago and it worked. I just started back up today because I’m looking super pasty and want to get ready for summer
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There are many cultures, notably Asian, that consider pale skin a superior aesthetic. Embrace what you have and run with it!