Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,821 Member
    Options
    Add "select standard reference" to get closer to the truth :wink:
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I am pondering starting from a clean slate in mfp. I signed up at 269 3 years ago. So I might just start new at 246 today? pros or cons to this?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    I am pondering starting from a clean slate in mfp. I signed up at 269 3 years ago. So I might just start new at 246 today? pros or cons to this?

Won't have overall records. If you mean you did little to nothing 3 yrs ago so no records for 2.5 yrs - set it correctly than.
  • PAV8888
    Options

Confused. You can start a new account? You can keep going... I am not sure why an almost 10% weight reduction is NOTHING? There are times we're more focused as compared to other times...
  • ekim2016
    Options
    Sorry what I mean, is it best to just stay with my initial setting of 269 start weight. Or change it to 246 now? Or does it even matter? No I'm happy to be down but as I mentioned before I have sort of hit maintenance for the past year. The first two years rocked as I got down to 235 but then crept back up to 245 ish last December. I have been advised I must not be logging accurately but my style never changed from the first two years. Anyway, I"m focusing on weighing food now. Only thing is stuff like Brims popcorn, the bag says 170 for 3 cups. So I use a paper cup and measure out 3 exact cups. I don't weigh the popcorn. I eat it to keep me regular.. haha
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Sorry what I mean, is it best to just stay with my initial setting of 269 start weight. Or change it to 246 now? Or does it even matter? No I'm happy to be down but as I mentioned before I have sort of hit maintenance for the past year. The first two years rocked as I got down to 235 but then crept back up to 245 ish last December. I have been advised I must not be logging accurately but my style never changed from the first two years. Anyway, I"m focusing on weighing food now. Only thing is stuff like Brims popcorn, the bag says 170 for 3 cups. So I use a paper cup and measure out 3 exact cups. I don't weigh the popcorn. I eat it to keep me regular.. haha

It absolutely matters. Your calorie requirement goes down as you lose weight because there is less of you that requires energy. You should let MFP recalc your calories for about every 10 pounds of loss.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Weight the dang popcorn. Changing your start weight... your call. Changing your current weight to correct? Good idea.

To be exact weigh the kernels unpopped.

Then recover and re weigh the uneaten kernels that never popped

Now you know how much popcorn you ate.
  • ekim2016
    Options
    thanks folks!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Weight the dang popcorn. Changing your start weight... your call. Changing your current weight to correct? Good idea.

I don't advocate this but I decided a long time ago to just log my popcorn higher than needed and be lazy about it. About 2 months ago I was in one of my back to basics weeks where I do everything by the book logging every calorie and I realized I was logging it way too high... almost double lol. The funny thing about that is when I first started logging I logged it almost triple what it should have been. I have no idea what my deal is with popcorn.
  • snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You need to use a food scale; you have too many measurements in non-weighted forms: volumes (cups, tbsp, etc.), serving amounts (slices, chips, crackers) and sizes (small, medium, large).

The foods you have listed in weight are also too precise (4 oz salmon, 100 g kale, .5 oz avocado), which leads me to believe these aren't actually being weighed, but rather guesstimates.

You're likely eating many more calories than you're counting. Even measurement cup sizes can vary, so weigh everything.

I second buying a food scale. I was shocked how much more I was eating before I got a food scale. A real 3-ounce serving of beef/chicken is visually much smaller than what I had assumed was a serving until I got my scale.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I don't advocate this but I decided a long time ago to just log my popcorn higher than needed and be lazy about it. About 2 months ago I was in one of my back to basics weeks where I do everything by the book logging every calorie and I realized I was logging it way too high... almost double lol. The funny thing about that is when I first started logging I logged it almost triple what it should have been. I have no idea what my deal is with popcorn.

I would not necessarily advocate this level of accuracy except in a situation like this where the OP really needs to get a handle as to exactly how many calories he is consuming.

If he is truly not losing on the calories he believes he is consuming he needs to get checked out to see what else may be happening (reason for extreme water weight retention? severe activity slow down to compensate for a very long period on low calories?) But, before he heads out into such investigative tangents, he really does need to nail down his intake and determine whether his stall is just because of eating more than he thinks.

So in this situation, and in my opinion, nailing his intake level requires that he more than doubles down on his accuracy efforts. And measuring the pop-corn with a cup is not quite militant enough in my opinion in this particular situation.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I would not necessarily advocate this level of accuracy except in a situation like this where the OP really needs to get a handle as to exactly how many calories he is consuming.

If he is truly not losing on the calories he believes he is consuming he needs to get checked out to see what else may be happening (reason for extreme water weight retention? severe activity slow down to compensate for a very long period on low calories?) But, before he heads out into such investigative tangents, he really does need to nail down his intake and determine whether his stall is just because of eating more than he thinks.

So in this situation, and in my opinion, nailing his intake level requires that he more than doubles down on his accuracy efforts. And measuring the pop-corn with a cup is not quite militant enough in my opinion in this particular situation.

I agree. I was just making conversation. As I said I discovered my error during one of my return to basics weeks. I do this from time to time to check on things like popcorn or whatever that I might be a little lazy about. I go back to weighing/measuring and recording every single calorie that goes in my mouth. I helps me find errors and I think it helps sharpen my guessing skills for restaurants and other situations that are not in my control.
  • ekim2016
    Options
    I guess what is giving me a hard time comprehending is I always did the sort of generic log entries from day one and I lost weight so easily. Maybe it is because I've been on such a restrictive caloric level so long my body is resisting? But I agree, a hard handed weighing program must be in order. I even thought it was my Celebrex med so I stopped it for a month and there was no change, so I went back on it as it helps my early onset arthritis.
  • ekim2016
    Options
    So if I weigh the poop corn and say it is a ounce. How to I know how much that is? the bag clearly says 3 cups 170
  • NovusDies
    Options
    So if I weigh the poop corn and say it is a ounce. How to I know how much that is? the bag clearly says 3 cups 170

It should also say the number of grams. I just looked up Brim's and it is 30 grams for 170 calories.

• PAV8888
    Options
    You may also be inadvertently reducing activity after a long period on low Cals, etc, etc. But first of all you need to figure out for SURE if you really are at the level of calories you think you are.

You can double check entries against the USDA Standard Reference Database and against other brands that make similar items. It would be quite unusual for an entry to have volume without ANY weight. Though some products do that... for example ready whip and ice cream in Canada (and especially these two products are traps because in both cases 1g is much more than 1ml)

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Oh, it's giving pre-popped weight per serving than - just like frozen items, pasta, pre-cooked many items.

If it says 3 cups cooked is a serving, but 1 oz is that same serving (shocked it wouldn't be in grams actually) pre-popped - how many are you making it for, how many nights.

If just yours - weigh the 1 oz, pop it up - all yours, volume doesn't matter, you made a serving.

If making more for whole family - weigh whatever you normally use - divide by serving weight to see how many servings you are making. Perhaps weigh out even serving size for easier math.

When finished popping - weigh the whole batch on the scale - quick math as to popped weight per serving - zero the scale, take out your serving weight. Leave the rest for family.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,055 Member
    Options
    I guess what is giving me a hard time comprehending is I always did the sort of generic log entries from day one and I lost weight so easily. Maybe it is because I've been on such a restrictive caloric level so long my body is resisting? But I agree, a hard handed weighing program must be in order. I even thought it was my Celebrex med so I stopped it for a month and there was no change, so I went back on it as it helps my early onset arthritis.

okay, here's something no one has touched upon, I don't think. I didn't read every post today, so I could have missed it.

When you first start out in weight loss, the body is used to (say) 5000 calories per day to maintain that 269 pounds. When starting weight loss, we cut that by probably HALF or more, to 2500 calories or less. The body WILL let go of quite a bit of weight in the beginning without precise calculations. But honestly, you could have been making thousands of calories in errors - it's just that you had plenty of body fat and it was easy to lose weight even if you were only cutting back a little.

It gets harder as you go.

You weigh less, so less is needed BUT also your body will slow down to keep pace with the intake of fuel. That's why we suggest refeeding (eating at maintenance) once every three months or so. That is sort of what you may have inadvertently done.

Adaptive thermogenesis https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/metabolic-damage/
    Scientific explanation thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1

Diet breaks/refeed https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Get your food on point. Use accurate food entries from the database.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1