Macros

Options
How does one figure out what percentage of macros they would need to lose weight? Carbs vs Protein vs Fats

Replies

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is CICO, calories in vs calories out. You can have any macro breakdown you want and that fact will remain the same.

Macros have more to do with health, body structure, satiety, and basic enjoyment.

Personally, as I'm trying to retain the most muscle mass I can while I lose weight, I'm really only concerned with my protein intake. I'm making sure I am getting around 1g/lb of lbm of protein, figure out the calories that is using, and fill in the rest of the day's calories with a decent mix of fat and carb.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What @Scottgriesser says :D

There is a but, though, I mean let's face it, there is always a but.

The only other factor I would watch is my intake of fats. Fats are an essential part of hormonal balance so it's quite important to get enough good fats to maintain hormonal balance. Hormonal balance can be a major factor in adherence as hormones control your hunger, your mood, your sleep etc. I use a simple mnemonic to track that balance - Hunger/Energy/Cravings or HEC. If my HEC is in check then all is good. If my HEC is not in check it's usually because my hormonal balance is off, usually due to stress....and a major stressor on the body is living with a caloric deficit for any length of time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    RovP6 wrote: »

The only other factor I would watch is my intake of fats. Fats are an essential part of hormonal balance so it's quite important to get enough good fats to maintain hormonal balance. Hormonal balance can be a major factor in adherence as hormones control your hunger, your mood, your sleep etc. I use a simple mnemonic to track that balance - Hunger/Energy/Cravings or HEC. If my HEC is in check then all is good. If my HEC is not in check it's usually because my hormonal balance is off, usually due to stress....and a major stressor on the body is living with a caloric deficit for any length of time.

While true, many of us don't struggle to get adequate fat. And the minimum is fairly low. It can be an issue for some people though.
  • snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    RovP6 wrote: »

While true, many of us don't struggle to get adequate fat. And the minimum is fairly low. It can be an issue for some people though.

What exactly is the minimum amount of fat one needs per day? IIRC it's 20-35 percent of calories. I'm not aware of any requirement based on body weight (i.e. grams of fat per pound of weight).
  • mmapags
    Options
    .35 grams per lb of body weight is considered the healthy minimum. About 30% of calories. Some do fine on a little lower. I can't speak for others but I don't look at it other that to see that I'm in the general ballpark on average. If someone is eating a low fat diet, they may want to track it in order to not go too low. If they do, it can affect hormonal function. It's just not a problem for most people though.
  • snake_man_32
    edited May 2019
    Options
    .35 grams per lb of body weight is considered the healthy minimum. About 30% of calories. Some do fine on a little lower. I can't speak for others but I don't look at it other that to see that I'm in the general ballpark on average. If someone is eating a low fat diet, they may want to track it in order to not go too low. If they do, it can affect hormonal function. It's just not a problem for most people though.

How low can a person go and still be healthy?

Edit: Oops, saw that .35 g per pound is the minimum.

I shoot for about 20-25 percent of fat per day. This amounts to about .29 to .35 grams per pound at 2,400 calories and 187 pounds.
  • mmapags
    Options

I shoot for about 20-25 percent of fat per day. This amounts to about .29 to .35 grams per pound at 2,400 calories and 187 pounds.

As a male, you are probably fine. A little low but OK. @psulemon is quite knowledgeable about this. Hopefully, he'll see this and weigh in.
  • snake_man_32
    Options

As a male, you are probably fine. A little low but OK. @psulemon is quite knowledgeable about this. Hopefully, he'll see this and weigh in.

Yes, I'm a male, 42 years old, 187 pounds at just over 20% body fat. My goal is 175 pounds at 15% body fat.

I also deal with acid reflux, which has gotten better by losing weight. However, high-fat foods and diets wreck my stomach, which is why I aim for the lower-end of the normal range for fat.
  • mmapags
    Options

Yes, I'm a male, 42 years old, 187 pounds at just over 20% body fat. My goal is 175 pounds at 15% body fat.

I also deal with acid reflux, which has gotten better by losing weight. However, high-fat foods and diets wreck my stomach, which is why I aim for the lower-end of the normal range for fat.

I do too. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Protein and carbs 4 calories per gram. For me, protein and higher fiber carbs are most satiating.
  • snake_man_32
    Options

I do too. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Protein and carbs 4 calories per gram. For me, protein and higher fiber carbs are most satiating.

Right on. I think I'll go with .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight (or about 25-30% of daily calories). That sounds like that's the minimum amount of fat needed in the diet to maintain health and keep my acid reflux at bay.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options
    A person needs 11g of alpha linoleic acids, which generally requires 20-30g of total fat. But even at those levels you may want to supplement with fish oil if you are that low. I would recommend 4-6 capsules at those levels to help with joint health. Keep in mind that fat also helps with hormones, so chronic suppression can lead to issues. Overall, you are much better off cutting more carbs and increasing fats a bit. For males 40- 50g is a good target.
  • mmapags
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A person needs 11g of alpha linoleic acids, which generally requires 20-30g of total fat. But even at those levels you may want to supplement with fish oil if you are that low. I would recommend 4-6 capsules at those levels to help with joint health. Keep in mind that fat also helps with hormones, so chronic suppression can lead to issues. Overall, you are much better off cutting more carbs and increasing fats a bit. For males 40- 50g is a good target.

Thanks for weighing in. You've posted similar info before but I couldn't remember the specifics.