56 yr old still trying to get to a healthy weight. Looking for Friends on this journey

queenjulie
queenjulie Posts: 13 Member
Hi, I am Julie. I am 56 yr old. I have been struggling with weight my entire life.

I got to goal twice on Weight Watchers and once on Nutrisystem. Once I hit goal, I started back up.

I just finished a year on Weight Watchers. This time it didn't work as well. I lost 17 lbs in a year.

I am coming back to mfp with some fasting and eating healthy. I normally allow myself a cheat meal a week.

My high weight was 315. I lost 100 lbs by eating smaller portions, but that stopped working and that's when I went back to Weight Watchers. I current weigh 218.

I would love some Friends on this journey. That's one thing I miss about Weight Watchers, they have a great app for members to connect with each other.

Replies

• queenjulie
    I fasted yesterday thru lunch today.
  • galvaomaria49
    galvaomaria49 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi Julie. My name is Maria. I just started on this today. I also started Zumba today. So much in one day. I am determined in losing these extra pounds. I did it before back in 2012 but then my life changed. So much happened. But I am back on track.
  • JenLen126
    JenLen126 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. I am 54 and on my weight loss journey also. Hope your all doing well.
  • queenjulie
    Hi Maria and Jen,
    Zumba is fun. I have to be on the side so I don't run into anyone and can go at my pace. I was hiking, yoga and excerise class. I have to get back into them. I am going to a dance tomorrow. I do that at my own pace too. I dance like a two year old, but I love to dance.
  • onechoiceatatime2015
    onechoiceatatime2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Add me y'all :smiley:
  • queenjulie
    Thanks for joining us. One of my replies isn't show up. It was my coffee recipe.

I wonder if I am getting the right Nurtrition. Today I had a times of dizziness. I ate yogurt, apricots, chia seeds and gelatin for breakfast and dinner.

Mellow weekend. Anyone doing something fun for weekend?
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 76 Member
    hi i'm missy and totally gained all my weight back.....I'm 59 and ready to get going again! add me!

missymuffet
  • queenjulie
    Hi Missy and all,
    I was hungry this morning. I asked my Husband if he wanted to go on a hike. He isn't up to it. This might be the last of the cool weather in the Phoenix area.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    It is possible to do this in your 50s! And beyond. I got to my goal almost 8 years ago and I'm 65 now. I have stayed pretty close to goal, but I find that groups and/or challenges where you really get to know your teammates, get inspired even when you're struggling, and you have some accountability and commitment to a team really help.

The one that has done a LOT for me to stay the course is the Fat2Fit Challenge. June registrations are open now, and if you really give it a go you will find a terrific group of people from all walks of life, all ages, many countries, all weights. Give it a month and see if getting to know your team, a little friendly competition, and lots of inspiration do it for you!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10743634/june-2019-fat2fit-weight-loss-challenge-support-group-registration-page#latest
  • cc19530
    cc19530 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, my name is Christina and started MFP again since I just recently started Keto, no sugar except pyure sugar substitute, no grains, except for a Keto low carb recipe which used vital gluten, oat flour and yeast in the recipe in a bread machine... omg I had 1 slice with my breakfast of bacon and 2 eggs... delish ... using only avocado, olive, coconut oil and coconut flour/milk/cream keeping my fats high, carbs as low as possible going for less than 20 1 proteins at my meal time... supposed to use ratio of 3 veg servings to 1 protein keeping fats at about 70% for weight loss ... 😆 We will see how this works... Want to lose around 50lbs by next year... Will keep y’all posted on my progress
  • queenjulie
    Hi All,
    I hear positive and negative posts from doctors about keto. I struggle giving up sugar. My popcorn recipe is salt, butter spray, tsp sugar and netmeg. I eat it a few times a week. I also like a treat a couple times a week ie a cookie, piece of candy. I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes normally.

I feel I ate pretty healthy this week. I will weigh in tomorrow. How was your week?

Julie
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Hi, Lost the weight with mfp then put it back on! Seems harder to be motivated now I’m older. Help appreciated.
  • marezac6815
    marezac6815 Posts: 69 Member
    Hi!! My name is Mary, Just rejoined MFP, After losing weight, went off, about 2 years ago, After breaking my leg and knee, 2 surgeries and 3 plates and 21 pins a year ago, It is still hard for me to get around very well... After 25 years of owning and operating a restaurant, my injury has put me into full retirement earlier than i'd planned... Lack of exercise, poor eating habits have caused me to put weight back on. Looking for supportive friends...
  • queenjulie
    Welcome New Friends and other Friends,
    I lost .5 lbs. I drank my large coffee before I remember to weigh in.

Man, did I have the munchies last night. I had a Tootsie Pop and an apple.

From observation, I was able to get to my old baseline weight, but have struggled for a couple years getting lower. What I can do is keep trying to eat healthy and excerise. I haven't been excerising like was. In January, I started having sleep problems which lead me into sleeping in later which changed my excerise time. I really need to get back to excerise. I was doing yoga and excerise class at my clinic on Monday and Thursday and I was hiking if weather wasn't too hot on Wednesday.

Julie
  • juju15941
    juju15941 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, My name is Judy and I will be 66 in a few weeks. I am so tired of being overweight. I am a terrible stress eater and I also use food as a reward. I'm trying to rethink these bad habits, but it's hard. I signed up for MFP today. I will track my calories and start exercising. I normally attend a yoga class twice weekly, but right now I am on hiatus until I get a few medial problems solved. My current weight is the most I have ever weighted in my life. I am a five year breast cancer survivor. I hope to find some supportive friends on MFP. I'll cheer you along too.
  • hrajotte
    hrajotte Posts: 2 Member
    Losing 17 pounds in a year is quite an accomplishment! Congratulations!
    I too struggle to lose weight. WHY is it so easy to gain but so hard to lose?
    In addition to a controlled diet, every bit of physical activity helps, no matter how small. For example, if you drive to a store, park as far from the entrance as possible.
    I have also found that a bottle of water and a serving of fruit can alleviate hunger pangs for some time.
  • ADEVE01
    ADEVE01 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hi,
    MY name is Anna and I have started a diet today too. I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me that my sugar, cholesterol are too high. My weight is 233 and I'm 54.
    I am determined this time. I would like to join you for support.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
  • sherrihuggins
    sherrihuggins Posts: 1 Member
    I am new member. This seems like a good tool. Like you, ive yoyoed with my weight. I need better health , same as most people high blood pressure, chloesterol knee and back paim
    .good job on your progress. .. it will be worth it to fell better.
  • danreese30
    danreese30 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I am nearly your age, life long over eater, recently got control...Will connect with any one on similar journey