Below range action

Hey all you maintainers, how many days under range until you take action? Do you wait for your trend line to be below range? I'm struggling because in the past I've over shot my goal and used that as an excuse to gain weight back but that would lead to shame eating/ bingeing. I need help with a pragmatic approach.
Also I've been eating out a lot more/ endulging and still losing weight. But I'm not tracking on those days which are like 2/7. I just find that too overwhelming especially since on those days I'm with this new significant other and I don't want to have to be anal retentive in front of him this early on in our relationship. So any advice on when to take action and how to approach it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,551 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hey all you maintainers, how many days under range until you take action? Do you wait for your trend line to be below range? I'm struggling because in the past I've over shot my goal and used that as an excuse to gain weight back but that would lead to shame eating/ bingeing. I need help with a pragmatic approach.
    Also I've been eating out a lot more/ endulging and still losing weight. But I'm not tracking on those days which are like 2/7. I just find that too overwhelming especially since on those days I'm with this new significant other and I don't want to have to be anal retentive in front of him this early on in our relationship. So any advice on when to take action and how to approach it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Depending on starting points and how below range below range is (and how close to the limits of normal weight) the response could change.

But it is my belief that SMALL changes make more sense during maintenance.

So, assuming you're not approaching some lower limit where fast action would be required, I would start by adding 250 Cal a day till my trend changed.

I also use a weight trend app as opposed to a range, so this gives me a better handle, in my opinion, of what constitutes an actionable trend.

Also I would look back at my week and see whether there exist obvious justifications for a weight change: sodium reduction, lack of exercise, an injury that has improved, returning from a trip a few days ago could all justify some scale drops.
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Depending on starting points and how below range below range is (and how close to the limits of normal weight) the response could change.

But it is my belief that SMALL changes make more sense during maintenance.

So, assuming you're not approaching some lower limit where fast action would be required, I would start by adding 250 Cal a day till my trend changed.

I also use a weight trend app as opposed to a range, so this gives me a better handle, in my opinion, of what constitutes an actionable trend.

Also I would look back at my week and see whether there exist obvious justifications for a weight change: sodium reduction, lack of exercise, an injury that has improved, returning from a trip a few days ago could all justify some scale drops.

My initial GW was bmi 20.5, I am currently at bmi 20. It's a minor difference but I don't want my bottom line to keep shifting because the longer I'm at a lower weight the harder it is to see why I wanted bmi 20.5 in the first place so I prefer Swift action. So should I wait until my trend goes out of range?
    Also I am doing almost no intentional exercise now which might be a cause as you mentioned. I wasn't hitting the gym hard, just walking about 9k steps per day (with maybe 3 miles of jogging per week) and daily yoga. So I don't think the activity itself is to blame per se but maybe my decreased calorie consumption. It's also super hard as I'm not tracking 100% anymore.
  • laurenhugs23
    Oh sorry and my starting point was bmi 22.5, I have now lost 11.5 % body weight.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I haven't gone below my range...above it a few times, yeah :)

It depends on why I'm out of range. Did my weight increase (or in your case, decrease) over just a few days? Did I do anything different regarding eating or exercise? Those things point to temporary water/waste fluctuations, especially if I know I didn't dramatically overeat (or undereat). I would not take any action in that case, since it'll resolve itself within a week or two.

If, on the other hand, your weight has been slowly creeping out of your range, that's when I'd suggest changing your approach. A more gradual change for no apparent reason suggests that it's more likely to be fat gain/loss.

In your case, the first thing I would do is start tracking regularly. It's hard to know whether to adjust or what to do if you don't have a food diary. If this new person is going to be in your life long term, they're eventually going to know about your weight management plan. I treat my maintenance plan like it's management of a medical condition, since I had multiple obesity related health problems before I lost weight. It is just something that many of us who have struggled with weight need to do in order to stay healthy. I think it is worth having a conversation about it with your new person.
  • PAV8888
    Again my suggestion was to start with a 250 increase and see where it goes on your weight trend app.

If you continue trending down you can rachet up the increase

How many days did it take to go from 20.5 to 20? How many lbs does it represent?

3500 * lbs / days = calories to increase in daily basis (+ probably 5 to 10% of that amount) should get you back in a similar time frame
  • laurenhugs23
    apullum wrote: »
    I haven't gone below my range...above it a few times, yeah :)

It depends on why I'm out of range. Did my weight increase (or in your case, decrease) over just a few days? Did I do anything different regarding eating or exercise? Those things point to temporary water/waste fluctuations, especially if I know I didn't dramatically overeat (or undereat). I would not take any action in that case, since it'll resolve itself within a week or two.

If, on the other hand, your weight has been slowly creeping out of your range, that's when I'd suggest changing your approach. A more gradual change for no apparent reason suggests that it's more likely to be fat gain/loss.

In your case, the first thing I would do is start tracking regularly. It's hard to know whether to adjust or what to do if you don't have a food diary. If this new person is going to be in your life long term, they're eventually going to know about your weight management plan. I treat my maintenance plan like it's management of a medical condition, since I had multiple obesity related health problems before I lost weight. It is just something that many of us who have struggled with weight need to do in order to stay healthy. I think it is worth having a conversation about it with your new person.

I don't know why that seems so hard a step to take. I know long term it makes sense.
  • laurenhugs23
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Again my suggestion was to start with a 250 increase and see where it goes on your weight trend app.

If you continue trending down you can rachet up the increase

How many days did it take to go from 20.5 to 20? How many lbs does it represent?

3500 * lbs / days = calories to increase in daily basis (+ probably 5 to 10% of that amount) should get you back in a similar time frame

I see, I'm sorry I misunderstood.
    Ok so (4.5*3500)/51= 308.8
    So if I tracked 100% every day and added 2179 cal per week I'd gain back at the rate I lost (if hormones don't go wacky).
    According to Fitbit so far this week I've gone 500 cal over maintenance. I'm also going drinking in the woods this weekend (camping). I would love to keep eating tonight but I know the camping will be my opportunity to make up that last 1679 calories.

No cell service up there but I'll check back in on Tuesday.
  • laurenhugs23
    Thanks @PAV8888 and @apullum
  • PAV8888
    So confirming you lost about 4.5lbs over 51 days?

You realize that it is quite hard to be THAT accurate (comes from someone who did a 150 Cal deficit over 52 weeks ;-)

Switch MFP to gaining 0.5 lb... and avoid underperforming (slight over performing is ok) in a couple of months you'll be there.

You might show slight extra increase initially due to more food in system etc.

I really really like weight trend apps and a 2 to 2.5lb band around maintenance based on trend (it is higher based on spot weight value).

But yes, 4.5 lbs (unless time of month related) is an appreciable indication you've been losing!

Btw no need to try and cram a week in two days!

Nothing terrible about it if it is something you want to do. But you don't NEED to do it that fast!

You're trying to hopefully dampen down the swings...