Protien powder questions.

Options
gaz458
gaz458 Posts: 23 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Protien is used to repair muscle correct?? So I have porridge on a morning with Protien powder then go for a bike ride / gym before work and have a protien shake when I get to work.

Question 1, the Protien before hand is that pointless/waste of powder? Because I will be needing/using carbs for energy as my muscles will be getting used and not in recovery mode ?? Or will the Protien still be helping the muscles?

Question 2, to hit my 1gram per pound of body weight I'm having Protien in porridge for breakfast gym/cycle before work then a Protien shake when I get to work. Chicken and eggs though the day then chicken or fish with evening meal and another shake with milk before bed. The question is, is that too much powder Protien and not enough solid food? Or does it not matter too much because I would never hit the Protien goal otherwise.

Thanks

Replies

• pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That sounds a *kitten* tonne of protein. Its always better to eat real food than dust but if you struggle to hit your targets then go for the shake.

Whats your macro percentages?
  • gaz458
    Options
    Meal timing isn't critical. Just hit your protein goal (general advice is 0.8-1g per 1lb body mass) by the end of the day and you'll be fine. Eating a variety of foods to hit your protein goals is recommended for health and satiety reasons as those foods will bring with them other nutrients that you need.

Thanks for that ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
  • gaz458
    Options
    That sounds a *kitten* tonne of protein. Its always better to eat real food than dust but if you struggle to hit your targets then go for the shake.

Thank you for the reply

Macro are carbs 50 Protien 25 (147g which is about .9gram per body weight) fat 25, I'm usually over in carbs and under on fat though but i don't really look at them just the Protien as I cycle alot so carbs will get burnt off and the protien I want so my legs are recovered ๐Ÿšดโ€โ™‚๏ธ thanks again
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I do a protein shake, I always drink it after my workout. I try to eat foods that have enough protein instead of using the shake though. I was eating protein bars and having my shakes and I think I actually gained weight from that. Not sure if you're a guy/girl.... but I think the amount of protein you take should be based on your body type/size and your workout but that's just my opinion.
  • gaz458
    Options
    When I do a protein shake, I always drink it after my workout. I try to eat foods that have enough protein instead of using the shake though. I was eating protein bars and having my shakes and I think I actually gained weight from that. Not sure if you're a guy/girl.... but I think the amount of protein you take should be based on your body type/size and your workout but that's just my opinion.

Male ๐Ÿ˜‚ Yeah I think if I ate Protien bars and all the chicken fish meats cheese nuts etc i wouldn't be able to reach my protien goal without going over the calorie goal. I'll keep going as I am and see what happens just didn't want to waste powder/money having it for breakfast if it wasn't going to be going anything beneficial if you get me. ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    gaz458 wrote: ยป

Thank you for the reply

Macro are carbs 50 Protien 25 (147g which is about .9gram per body weight) fat 25, I'm usually over in carbs and under on fat though but i don't really look at them just the Protien as I cycle alot so carbs will get burnt off and the protien I want so my legs are recovered ๐Ÿšดโ€โ™‚๏ธ thanks again

those numbers shoulbe per lb of lean body mass, or if you don't know bf%, 0.7-0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. maybe lower your protein amount by 10% and increase fat and/or carbs by 5% each or carbs by 10%, since you are over anyway.

As others said, meal timiming is irrelevant, and if it wasn't, I would argue that the protein before your workout would not be digested and absorbed until after your workout anyway.
  • gaz458
    Options
    gaz458 wrote: ยป

Thank you for the reply

those numbers shoulbe per lb of lean body mass, or if you don't know bf%, 0.7-0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. maybe lower your protein amount by 10% and increase fat and/or carbs by 5% each or carbs by 10%, since you are over anyway.

As others said, meal timiming is irrelevant, and if it wasn't, I would argue that the protein before your workout would not be digested and absorbed until after your workout anyway.

Oh crap I was just doing 1g per my total weight ๐Ÿ˜‚ so that will be easier to hit now haha so thanks for clearing that up. And I think I'll change the macro and skip the Protien before the work outs ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ