Would you help?

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    Some of the answers in here are really brightening my day :) Thanks y'all

I am surprised at how serious people are taking it, I was expecting much more satire and gifs
  • The_Devil_In_Miss_Jones_
    The_Devil_In_Miss_Jones_ Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Of course I would, that's not even a question!

I don't believe in holding on to anger, I don't think it's healthy. I would always help someone in need, no matter who it is. I believe in being the bigger person.  Even if there is certain people I am not fond of, it doesn't mean I don't want the best for them. Everyone does stupid chit but it doesn't mean they have to suffer all of their life because of it.

This raises a good point. As they say.. hurt people hurt people. Really hurt people really hurt people.

Hurt people hurt people whole people heal people.

People people people :D:*
  • The_Devil_In_Miss_Jones_
    The_Devil_In_Miss_Jones_ Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options

I am surprised at how serious people are taking it, I was expecting much more satire and gifs

Sometimes I'm not myself and I can be serious ;):D
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options

Chit chat will throw you a curve ball sometime- behind all the smart@sses is some decent peeps yo -
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

Chit chat will throw you a curve ball sometime- behind all the smart@sses is some decent peeps yo -

I agree. Chit chat is full of awesome peeps. I think most of us use chit chat to blow off steam and say things we can't say whilst sitting at work trying to be all professional and stuff.

As for the original question, yes, I would help the person regardless of how they treated me in the past. I am lucky in that I was never bullied per se. Yes some people made mean comments here and there as I'm sure I did too but luckily I was never tormented day after day. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that and I pray my kids are never treated that way. I may have to kill someone if so.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Y'all are a lot better people than I am. I most likely wouldn't recognize them but, if I did, I don't think I'd help. I spent most of my school life being bullied and teased and mocked and, hell, even a few years ago some stupid girl mocked the way I was walking so *kitten* anyone who treats people like that. It stays with you.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I would help. I am a firm believer in the Golden Rule.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

I agree. Chit chat is full of awesome peeps. I think most of us use chit chat to blow off steam and say things we can't say whilst sitting at work trying to be all professional and stuff.

As for the original question, yes, I would help the person regardless of how they treated me in the past. I am lucky in that I was never bullied per se. Yes some people made mean comments here and there as I'm sure I did too but luckily I was never tormented day after day. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that and I pray my kids are never treated that way. I may have to kill someone if so.

Same, this question made me think about how lucky I was to have never been bullied. The worst I ever got was told I had a "freckle mustache" or told I wasn't very pretty.

I do feel bad tho, because I had my bully moments, 2 girls that I was awful to.

If it was me needing help, I hope those girls would help me, but if they didn't, I get it. I don't deserve any compassion or sympathy from them.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

What if said person is tricking you and plans on utilizing their "unlimited power"?

u1ezi958biij.jpg
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Same, this question made me think about how lucky I was to have never been bullied. The worst I ever got was told I had a "freckle mustache" or told I wasn't very pretty.

I do feel bad tho, because I had my bully moments, 2 girls that I was awful to.

If it was me needing help, I hope those girls would help me, but if they didn't, I get it. I don't deserve any compassion or sympathy from them.

<3
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Of course I would help... there's a little bit of good in everybody. Just because they were awful to me doesn't mean they aren't a brother, a sister, a friend, a child to someone else... I've been awful to some people in the past and I would hope that they would still help me out of human decency.
    Not to mention, we have a civil duty to help. Not acting or at the very least calling emergency responders in an event such as that is actually a crime in the United States.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue There is a Duty to Rescue in only 10 of the 50 states. All 50 states have Good Samaritan Laws to help protect from legal liability in the event that you choose to help someone. Those may or may not apply if the person is not in immediate peril, and you inadvertently cause harm in your attempt to help.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Oh I know, I <3 many here
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    All said & done I have wished for the unfortunate accident to happen to the neighbour who has harassed me and been at my front door almost 10 times since I moved in. Would I help if I seen him writhing in agony after said accident. ? Hmmm I only wish that he would get the help he so sorely needs. And stop spreading his poison.

Id like to think I would help him. But I might giggle. Oh no. Giggle or help?

I was doing just fine with this until you brought the neighbour into it.

I was never bullied so maybe I'd feel differently if I had been, but childhood was a REALLY long time ago so I'd help the person. Over the years I've seen karma pay back the people who were known bullies in some pretty awful ways. There's a lot of water under that bridge.

My neighbour? If he fell in the street I'd probably break the door rushing to jump into my truck and drive over him 5 or 50 times.... >:)
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Depends if I was busy....you know, not caring.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I would help most people from my past. Except my ex. if she was to find me on Facebook and asked for help. I wouldn't. Because she is just evil.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I could never sit back and do nothing, I may not care much for them but they still have a family, I still have to live with myself after.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    People can change. Maybe, given the chance, they would apologize. Maybe their lives were hell at that point. I know I have more than a few apologies to hand out given the chance. For decades now I have tried to commit a random act of kindness at every opportunity. Do unto others....
  • Dan2668
    Dan2668 Posts: 155 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What separates you from a bully, is that you have the compassion to know that everybody has made mistakes in their lives and acted in ways that are crappy and hurtful. Some even grow and change for the better; thus, nobody deserves to be left collapsed in the street, ask yourself, wouldn't you want to be given a second chance for your indiscretions?