Losing weight versus changing body composition

Options
Wondering how you decide when losing more weight is appropriate, versus just trying to change body composition ratios? I'm 5'4" 130lb (right in the middle/end of "healthy"), though I don't like how I look at this weight. I've been exercising consistently for years, but my diet has always been horrible. Finally cleaning up the diet and counting calories and wondering if I should shoot for a weight loss goal or to just lower body fat and increase lean muscle. I currently set MFP to maintenance calories. I eat all of those (about 1800/day) then burn roughly 400 through exercise that I do not eat back. Is this the right approach or do I risk losing muscle? Also, is it reasonable to hope for body comp changes when I've been exercising for years (marathon running included) and it's always looked the same? Can dietary changes really make that big of a difference?

Replies

• snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If you're obese or significantly overweight, then losing weight might be the better option.

OTOH, if you're only somewhat overweight or "skinny fat", then body recomposition might be a better approach.

I'm not a fitness or diet professional, so I could be wrong.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    OTOH, if you're only somewhat overweight or "skinny fat", then body recomposition might be a better approach.

Yeah, I'd say this too. Keep lifting, eat the "right" amount of protein, and run a calorie deficit, and you should get leaner and better defined.
  • hszentim
    hszentim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Putting on lean muscle mass will be the best thing that you can do. Lean muscle requires more caloric intake to be sustained (aka faster resting metabolic rate and therefore it helps to keep body fat levels in check) and helps to keep the body healthy for years to come due to increased bone density, increased vascular capacity, stronger connective tissues ligaments etc. Being able to fuel yourself with this goal in mind will also be important. In order to gain muscle mass you will need to be eating the proper ratios of macronutrients. You run the risk of canibalizing muscle to transfer energy if you are not eating properly. I would do research on how to calculate your macros and work on keeping within those guidelines. I hope this gives you some food for though and encourages further research on eating with a specific goal in mind! Our bodies are incredible, have fun!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    This is really going to be up to you. Since you are in a healthy weight range, you could recomp, or you could lean out a bit more. It really depends on how you feel about your physique and your muscle base.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely recomp, done CONSISTENTLY. You can see changes in 2months but it might take longer than that to be completely satisfied. 2+ years into maintenance and I feel I'm still improving.
  • yvonnevs
    yvonnevs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight but also have a reasonable amount of muscle. my nutrition coach keeps tweaking my macros each week - even if it's +10g carbs or protein or -. I'm losing fat and my body comp is changing, I'm doing stronglifts 5x5. It all depends on your goals. When you say not happy with how you look, what exactly do you mean? How do you want to look? I know based on my frame, exercise history, there's no way I'm going to be a super skinny marathon runner, I'm naturally inclined to more power events. I weigh myself daily, i know some people are against this and it could become obsessive but it allows me to see how my bodyweight fluctuates over the week(s). Imagine only weighing in weekly and not seeing a change and being disheartened all because you were holding water and had actually lost weight over the week but just the day you check in the scale is up, it's all about the trend :smile: I read another coach put it this way. cals determine weight, macros determine body comp. Hope you reach your goals. All the best
  • NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yvonnevs wrote: »
    When you say not happy with how you look, what exactly do you mean? How do you want to look?

I guess I just want to look like I'm an active, longer distance runner. More prominent, leaned-out muscles (mine are currently under a nice layer of fat), less cellulite, smaller waistline. Post 3 babies I have some belly flab that just won't go. I have lots of sedentary friends who look fitter than me. I know I am healthier for all the exercise, and this is purely superficial and for aesthetic purposes only.

For years, I've told myself, and it's been true, that i don't care how my body looks so long as it can do the runs I want and feel energetic. After having three kids and starting to feel old for the first time in my life, I'm becoming superficial apparently.

In the end I might have to accept that I look how I look, and I'd be okay with that. Just want to see if looking fitter/getting more muscle and less fat is possible.
  • NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Yes, definitely recomp, done CONSISTENTLY. You can see changes in 2months but it might take longer than that to be completely satisfied. 2+ years into maintenance and I feel I'm still improving.[/quote

Thanks! This is good to know. Maybe I'll give it 6 months before I reassess. Then see if my lifting or protein intake needs tweaking before pressing on! Any idea where to do for good lifting programs for beginners? (beginner to heavier lifting, not lifting in general).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely recomp, done CONSISTENTLY. You can see changes in 2months but it might take longer than that to be completely satisfied. 2+ years into maintenance and I feel I'm still improving.[/quote

Thanks! This is good to know. Maybe I'll give it 6 months before I reassess. Then see if my lifting or protein intake needs tweaking before pressing on! Any idea where to do for good lifting programs for beginners? (beginner to heavier lifting, not lifting in general).

Bret Contreras's Strong Curves is a great one designed for women. Also many women do Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength as beginner programs for 12 weeks or so before moving on to something more advanced. They are both good ones for learning basic form.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely recomp, done CONSISTENTLY. You can see changes in 2months but it might take longer than that to be completely satisfied. 2+ years into maintenance and I feel I'm still improving.

There's a good thread about that here, including discussion of the programs (and you can ask questions if needed):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

It may take more than a couple of months to see muscle mass gains even from consistent strength training, though a small calorie deficit might let you see some more of the lower-body muscle you presumably already have from your marathon training. And you'll see strength gains (from neuromuscular adaptation) more quickly than muscle-mass, so there's a short-term payoff of that sort - it's not all deferred gratification ;) .

It's possible to get leaner and stronger and fitter (and look it) at pretty much any age (I'm 63, 60 in profile photo), but consistency and persistence is really important. Since you're already in the healthy range, I wouldn't suggest fast/major fat loss as a good solution. Recomposition, maybe a small deficit, enough protein (0.8-1.0g daily per pound of lean body mass or a bit more; 0.6-0.8g or so per pound of healthy goal weight is close enough if you don't know your body fat %), good progressive weight training program performed consistently . . . that would be a reasonable course IMO.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Best wishes! :)