Parents! How do you stay fit (and sane)?!

JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
Since having children, I've declined in health... and improved!... and declined again... and we're back to improving. It's slow. And arduous. Two children is, like, at least twice as hard as having one (we didn't know how good we had it).

At present, I have the luxury of having a prep period (high school teacher) that I can use to work out on. However, there are plenty of times when I have to... you know... prep. I've been doing such wacky stuff as waking up extra early to do grocery shopping at a 24-hour market, cook meals, wash dishes, and fold laundry. It just isn't sustainable. On top of that, I see a lot of self-care sentiment floating around (not just here, but also in my workplace). We don't have TIME for self-care, and, when we do, it's usually taking away from something else (working out on my prep means taking essays home; working out in the morning means doing dishes, etc. late into the night; wifey and I already barely see each other, as things stand).

Any advice? Success stories? Maybe you just have family members who actually help with periodic babysitting?

I'm all ears... and some adipose tissue.

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I watched the kids with my husband worked out and watched them while I worked out. It was really that simple. Not always easy, but simple. Things got a little complicated of my husband was out of town, but even then I would exercise in a way the kids could join me.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited May 2019
    I go to the gym during my lunch break while I'm at work. Luckily we have a gym on campus (university). If I didn't have this luxury, I would most likely still be fat.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    It's tough, especially when the kids are small. Try to incorporate them into your workout time. Jog with kids in a jogging stroller, ride bikes as a family, have them do an exercise video with you, play basketball or catch. Find a gym with a kids' area/daycare. It's tough. My husband runs his own business. I have a full time job and am an adjunct professor on the side. Between us, we sit on 5 committees and a board of directors for two different organizations. The kids play hockey, soccer, run track, and are in show choir. I don't get exercise in EVERY day, but I make time at least 3-4 times per week. On the weekends or nice evenings, I take the kids hiking or biking with me. We just keep going.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    How old do they have to be before you can send them off to work? :wink:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I don't have kids. That said having observed friends who have kids, some things I've observed are they commute by bike at least part time, they incorporate their kids into their workouts (ie biking with your child(ren)), and they work with their spouse to figure out times when one parent can watch the kids while the other does xyz activity (which may or may not be exercise related).
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    My kids are older now, and can do lots of things with us (10 & 16), but we have used many many strategies over the years. It’s helpful not to be too rigid and to incorporate the kids wherever possible. So we carried them in slings and in carriers on hikes (and everywhere really) from infancy to preschool, made use of gym day cares, bike commuted with them, took turns with solo exercise time and watching kids, woke up super early for runs, joined gyms near work to exercise over lunch, walked, ice skated, played tennis, and ran with colleagues over lunch, got a trampoline to jump on, trained with the kids for a 5K (from age 7+, now we run a couple of 5Ks together each year), went from bike child seat to trailer to trail-a-bike, did exercise videos in the house, did yoga videos with kids, got a pull up bar at home, ran laps during their activities, etc. That kind of thing! Incorporating them has paid off as we spend a lot of time together biking, snowboarding, skiing, paddle boarding, going to the gym, etc.

Oh, and give them responsibility for some chores early so you can all have more time for fun together.
  • kara_tastic
    kara_tastic Posts: 38 Member
    I have 5 kids. 19yo down to a 2 yo. I’m always going!

I workout daily from home. I use YouTube videos and the 6 yo and 2 yo usually plays in the living room. The 2yo now says, Mommy work out, tooooo cute, and stays away when I workout.

When i go in the garage for the elliptical machine or the other weights, they go with me and play outside or in the garage with their cars. We got them a hot wheels table so they love that!

I plan meals when i put the boys to bed or look at new recipes. I have a list of the meals their ingredients and do my best to get everything in one shot. Since I work from home, I prefer to go grocery shopping during the week after the 2 yo nap. On that day I will do a HIIT while he sleeps and a walk in the evening.

I don’t go nuts thinking I have to get everything done. If I cannot get a workout in then it’s no big deal. I do what I can.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I realize some gyms do not allow this, but my gym has a little play area for children. So we take my 3 year old stepdaughter with us all the time. She follows me around a bit if she's not playing, and tries to copy what I'm doing (crunches, for example, or planks) but otherwise she colors or plays with her toys in the kids' area. If she's particularly antsy, I let her play on my phone to keep her occupied (so I know she's safe and not trying to get into things, though I still keep a close eye on her.)
    When I'm done with my workout, she LOVES to walk on the treadmill in front of me for a bit. We set it SUPER slow and I stand behind her with my feet on the sides, ready to grab her if she trips. Or, if we're still waiting for my hubby to finish his workout, I will take her into an empty yoga room and we'll chase each other around or play with the yoga balls.
    The gym is one of her favorite places to go. I absolutely love that we have a small town gym that allows this because it makes me so happy that we can instill healthy habits while she's so young and open to them.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I have 5 kids. 19yo down to a 2 yo. I’m always going!

I workout daily from home. I use YouTube videos and the 6 yo and 2 yo usually plays in the living room. The 2yo now says, Mommy work out, tooooo cute, and stays away when I workout.

When i go in the garage for the elliptical machine or the other weights, they go with me and play outside or in the garage with their cars. We got them a hot wheels table so they love that!

I plan meals when i put the boys to bed or look at new recipes. I have a list of the meals their ingredients and do my best to get everything in one shot. Since I work from home, I prefer to go grocery shopping during the week after the 2 yo nap. On that day I will do a HIIT while he sleeps and a walk in the evening.

I don’t go nuts thinking I have to get everything done. If I cannot get a workout in then it’s no big deal. I do what I can.

You sound like a freakin' superhero. Good on you, mama.

Big thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. Much of it is stuff we already do. This might just be a case of me wanting my cake and the ability to consume it, as well. We do incorporate the kids as much as possible, but the one-year-old is on what we call "suicide watch" (tries to kill herself as often as possible). The older one is pretty understanding and cooperative, so we may just need to wait until they are both a bit older.

We do sometimes alternate working out while the other watches the kids, but we also want more time together. Like I said, it's probably a possess cake and eat it additionally scenario.

Thanks, again, and I'll keep checking for more brilliant ideas! And, to all of you, way to be healthy parents!
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    We have 4. I usually wake up at 5am to workout before they are up.

If i sleep in i may split my cardio and weights to morning and night.

Some days it just doesn't happen but thats okay.
  • GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,088 Member
    I'm a grandma now, but I remember the challenges of "getting it all done". I raised three children (thankfully, all are doing great in life) and it IS HARD WORK. My advice is to keep your eye on the most important ball . . raising human beings. The so-called balance is in the aggregate, and not so much daily. You'll have more time for workouts as time goes on. In the meantime, realize that diet is the most important piece of the puzzle. . not workouts. Workouts are essential for conditioning and health, but are time consuming and don't burn that many calories. Eating clean and in deficit is more important when you're time constrained if you're goal is to lose fat.

Hope everyone doesn't mind an old lady imparting my life lessons "wisdom" here. ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    It's a fact of life that young children will turn your world upside down for a few years (that's a lie, more like 15 or 16 years.....it gets worse when they're older and playing sports etc). This is where you either have to have incredible time management skills or you bite the bullet and invest in some home based fitness equipment eliminating the time lost traveling to and from the gym (or take up running knowing that you won't have time to train for a full marathon for a few years).

Depending on how old your kids are there are some gyms that offer childcare services which could give both of you to work out on a regular basis or you come up with a system of minding the kids on alternating days.

It's not easy but you'll survive and when the kids are grown up and out of the house you'll have all the time in the world (and still wish they were 6 years old again....)
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I have 4 kids 7,5,2, and 3 months. It’s a balance but I get up at 530 and hit the gym 2-3 weekdays before Hubby leaves for work.
    He goes 2 nights a week after dinner, homework, showers, baths etc.

We both try and get one weekend day in.

Life with little kids is nuts. It’s day by day.

My gym time is a huge priority to me and my husband knows it makes me a happier mom and wife. We make it work because it’s what makes us sane and happy :)

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Join a gym with a daycare. My kids stay home now, but when they were little...I got 2 hours of "free" daycare any day of the week.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 343 Member
    edited May 2019
    I have 12 year old twin girls - I was able to get most of the pregnancy weight off in the first 3-4 years using an elliptical at home that I used when ever I got a spare 30 minutes, followed by some free weight exercises and crunches for about 15 minutes. Often in the 45 minutes after putting the kids to bed, and then back to work in the evening prepping for the next day.

I have had a more demanding period in my job over the last 6 years and basically did not make time for exercise due to demands at work and home (basically I put me last, which in retrospect was clearly wrong). In the mean time I put all the weight back on and then another 10 pounds, so that this January was the heaviest that I had ever been (into obese II), with high cholesterol and being pre-diabetes. That was a wakeup call! I had more flexibility in my schedule this semester/summer so I am using this time to put in extra time at the gym combined with counting calories to get as many pounds off before the fall semester hits. (almost 30 pounds so far and back to what I payed in 2013). There is no free lunch so the time has to come from some other place.

I have someone who comes in and cleans once a week; she also makes the kids beds, washes their sheets and folds their clothes. Now that the girls are older they separate out the lights and darks and are responsible for putting the clothes a way - as they get older they can help out more.

I have a supportive partner, who does things with the girls on Sat/Sun for enough time so that I can go the gym. He also takes them to the tutor Tues/Thur afternoons so that I can make some classes at the gym. They are also more independent now which helps a lot! Hopefully you do not have to wait until your kids are tweens to get in shape!

Now that the girls are older it is easier to plan meals that work for me and everyone else. I count calories using MFP. I have macros that are close to 40 Carb-30 Protein - 30 Fat, so I cut carbs for me, but otherwise we all eat the same foods; my pasta servings now look like theirs :-) I find that having enough protein/fat I am not hungry with the slight reduction in calories (more than half the deficit is exercise), but realize that not one plan works for all. This time around I did go to a nutritionist (my insurance covered it) and had my BMR tested. I started off not eating enough calories, but with the testing of BMR I am now eating more and still losing weight at a reasonable weight (1-2 pounds per week, which may slow down now that I am in the overweight rather than obese category). I am under 5 feet, so being at a very low percentile for height, wanted to have a more accurate estimate of BMR to determine calories that I needed for maintenance/deficit as I there was a huge difference in what the various calculators predicted. I still go to the nutritionist one a month to tweak things.

I found that a home delivery meal service was a great time savings by eliminating shopping in the middle of the week as well as having some of the items pre-cut or mixed, but otherwise is pretty healthy. (it costs more but I have to remember that my time is valuable!). My partner also does a lot of the shopping in the evening, which frees up time that I can exercise.

In addition to tracking calories daily, I weigh daily - by plotting the trends I can see that my weight loss trajectory is not linear, which helps to deal with the periodic ups & plateaus, as well as celebrate the "whooshes" of big drops when they come! During my 6 year period of weight gain I basically ignored the scale; in retrospect I think if had had been weighing regularly I might have taken more action earlier, but who knows!

I try to make sure I have some intense cardio to help burn calories.
    I still have an elliptical at home, which I find boring, but now that I am going to the gym, I find that I use it more. Ironic that i need to pay money to someplace else to use what I already have for free, but I like the social aspect of going to classes at the gym :-) I found an app that has recorded routines at different levels with music, so that helps to mix up the routine and allows me to fit in 30 minutes here and there at home, as well as pushes me to do more intensive workouts. I can also use it at the gym with the spin machines when I miss classes. Perhaps you can find a gently used stationary bike or elliptical to use at home so that you can get in some cardio intensive workouts when you have a spare 30 minutes? (I know - what spare time :-) [running is out for me, but that might be a good option]

I do find for me that throwing in free weights/core body routines really helps! I might still weigh more but I have better muscle definition/toning and clothes fit better. You may be able to pick up used free weights in a range for toning at home; or resistance bands. There are also a lot of great apps that can help with suggesting exercises - some are quite short and might be easy to fit in - I have a 9 minute "Ab Assassin" routine that I go back to all the time on my phone. It may be worth to splurge for a personal trainer to work on strength training routines and proper form at the beginning if that is new to you.

Not sure if that helps, but best of luck on your journey!
  • lemonwater1
    lemonwater1 Posts: 72 Member
    I have two kids and I work- the only way I have been able to incorporate exercise is to get up earlier. I use to wake up at 6:15. Now I am working out by 5:15.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Stationary bike in the bedroom, walks or runs in my lunch break (eat while I work), run home, free weights at home in the evening when they're in bed. Family walks with a backpack sling. And the acceptance that my house is a tip on exercise days, tidier on rest days. The in my thing I need to arrange dedicated time for is a long run on the weekend that I try to time with toddlers nap.