Crossfit, dont knock it, till you try it.

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    That is to say, it's not that weightlifting itself is bad, it's that when you do things incorrectly and quickly, injuries happen.

Current literature is suggesting this not to be true. Load management is considered to be the cause of injuries.

Meaning you can do a clean with bad form(which there is no clear definition that works for every individual bte) with a broom stick 3 sets of triples with one min rest in between sets and the injury risk is next to nil even with the most atrocious form because the load was managed within capabilities of most healthy individuals.

But take a weight that is considered to be 92% of a e1RM and try to clean it four times. Yep injury risk is high now even with the best form.

Or take a weight that you can triple with three left in the tank. Lets say 83% of a e1rm and do 8 sets of it with only one min rest in between sets. This is poor load management "good or bad form".

Its the buildup of stress at a inappropriate weight that is now consideref to cause injury.

The body can deal with a lot of things if the load is appropriate.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    That is to say, it's not that weightlifting itself is bad, it's that when you do things incorrectly and quickly, injuries happen.

Current literature is suggesting this not to be true. Load management is considered to be the cause of injuries.

Meaning you can do a clean with bad form(which there is no clear definition that works for every individual bte) with a broom stick 3 sets of triples with one min rest in between sets and the injury risk is next to nil even with the most atrocious form because the load was managed within capabilities of most healthy individuals.

But take a weight that is considered to be 92% of a e1RM and try to clean it four times. Yep injury risk is high now even with the best form.

Or take a weight that you can triple with three left in the tank. Lets say 83% of a e1rm and do 8 sets of it with only one min rest in between sets. This is poor load management "good or bad form".

Its the buildup of stress at a inappropriate weight that is now consideref to cause injury.

I would argue that inappropriate load management would fall in the "incorrectly" box.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I would argue that inappropriate load management would fall in the "incorrectly" box.

Fair though if "form" by itself without relation to load is part of "incorrectly" I would be on the side of what current literature suggests.

Meaning form might improve efficiency but certainly doesn't equate higher injury risk by itself.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Fair though if "form" by itself without relation to load is part of "incorrectly" I would be on the side of what current literature suggests.

Meaning form might improve efficiency but certainly doesn't equate higher injury risk by itself.

For what it's worth, I think we're more or less agreeing. Another way I could state what I said earlier today is, "Crossfit doesn't appear to promote healthy practices on the rowing machine by way of showcasing people who appear to be well respected erging in ways that promote injury. Given that, it's safe to assume that similar things happen with regards to lifting."

*Given that I, and apparently others, have read a number of accounts of Crossfit gyms pushing beginners in ways that lead to injury, I would imagine that I'm not too far from the mark.

*And yes, I've read accounts of beginners being well served by crossfit gyms as well. I also personally have at least one friend who adores crossfit.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

For what it's worth, I think we're more or less agreeing. Another way I could state what I said earlier today is, "Crossfit doesn't appear to promote healthy practices on the rowing machine by way of showcasing people who appear to be well respected erging in ways that promote injury. Given that, it's safe to assume that similar things happen with regards to lifting."

*Given that I, and apparently others, have read a number of accounts of Crossfit gyms pushing beginners in ways that lead to injury, I would imagine that I'm not too far from the mark.

*And yes, I've read accounts of beginners being well served by crossfit gyms as well. I also personally have at least one friend who adores crossfit.

I agree.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Regarding the Mehrab paper, there is no comparison to other kinds of exercise or sports activity and the definition of injury is pretty vague, which makes it difficult to judge how severe these injuries are. It could be an injury that warranted a physician visit. Or just one that prompted the athlete to adjust their training for a bit.
    It's hard to move at all without getting that kind of injury! They say that better than 50 percent of runners get an injury that interrupts their training at some point in a year.
    A 30 percent rate of shoulder injuries means that that is the most common type of injury in Crossfit; it doesn't mean it is a lot!
    So, if you ask a bunch of Crossfitters, 30 percent say they had at least a sore shoulder at some point in a year. But did a high number need to stop using their shoulder completely for any length of time? Is 30 percent any worse than the rate for other active sports? Was the rate of surgery or medical treatment high?
    The Mehrab paper is a survey, with all the unreliability of memory recall and no comparison. That's not reliable or meaningful data.
    I mentioned the shoulder injury rate in my first post, because that was reported as the most common site of injury in Crossfit in a previous paper, a paper that made comparisons. That paper said that, yes, Crossfitters injure their shoulders, but it was not at a rate higher than gymnasts or powerlifters or Olympic lifters -- ie, people who use their shoulders.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Murph today!
    Run a mile
    100 pull-ups
    200 push-ups
    300 air-squats
    Another one mile run
    In a weighted vest, if you want
    One tough workout. But that feeling of accomplishment when you are done. Worth its weight in gold.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Murph today!
    Run a mile
    100 pull-ups
    200 push-ups
    300 air-squats
    Another one mile run
    In a weighted vest, if you want
    One tough workout. But that feeling of accomplishment when you are done. Worth its weight in gold.

My pt regularly gets me to do something similar (minus the weighted vest). I'm not a fast runner so we do
    Run a mile
    100 trx rows
    100 squats
    100 push ups
    Run
    (We only get 25min once stretch is included).

I cried first time she made me do it. And she does make me do it all with good form
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    My only issue with it is that every.single.person I know who does it has had shoulder issues, some to the point of having to operate. EVERY SINGLE ONE. 100% rate. Of people I know who do it. Granted, I only know about 6 people who do/have done it, so it's not a very large cross-section of the population, but still.... 6/6 have shoulder damage? And do CrossFit? Bit too much of a coincidence there.

Which brings me to what others have said above - it's not for beginners and also, the competitive aspect of doing particular exercises for time, can result in loss of form, which in turn can lead to injury.

I'm a complete beginner, and it has been just wonderful for me. I'm six months in and am stronger than I've ever been -- and I'm 50.

I see where the shoulder issues could arise if one did not stop when one's shoulder began to hurt. Also, I do not race the clock and compromise my form during the daily workouts. I see others doing that, and imagine that would be a good way to become injured.

Like anything, you have to listen to your body and respond accordingly.