Is weight loss really as simple as eating less?

I hear people say this all the time: "Forget keto, Atkins, and other diets. Just eat real food and stay in caloric deficit to lose fat."
Is it really that simple? My experience says otherwise. I've had success this year losing about 15 pounds in 3 months -- not a tremendous weight loss, but something is better than nothing. Over the past several weeks, however, my weight loss has stalled. I'm eating as clean as ever (excepting one cheat meal per week, but I've recently cut that out) Color me disappointed and surprised. Now to the nitty gritty for those of you (myself included) who like to crunch the numbers:

I'm 24, 6'2" tall, weigh 245 pounds at 25% bodyfat. My goal is to get into the 8-12% range at which I should weigh 198-207lbs. Bodybuilding.com's calculator says I should consume 2400 calories to maintain my weight with my current lightly-active lifestyle of sedentary work and weight lifting 3x per week. I've been consuming about 1800 calories per day which puts me in a 600 calorie deficit that should translate to a 1.2 pound per week weight loss. It should, but doesn't.

Here comes the tricky part: out of desperation, I cut calories further to 1500-1600/day while doing 30-45 minutes of intense cardio 5x per week. I did this for 4 weeks and lost a whopping ZERO pounds. Cutting calories and increasing exercise only makes sense if it comes with great results, otherwise it's unsustainable. Note: I've tried multiple macro ratios, prioritizing protein 200-250g/day. I've tried carb cycling with 100/150/150/400g 4 day cycles. After the first 8-12 weeks, it's all stopped working. Now I'm trying keto with 1800 cals @ 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. I'll be sure to mention if it works a couple of days from now at my weekly weigh in.

What are your thoughts and recommendations everybody? I feel like I've tried almost everything and I'm getting desperate. Next thing on my list would be an extreme, 500 calorie-a-day starvation diet which I'm very reluctant to do.

Replies

• davidparziale
    davidparziale Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2019
    I track my calories with the barcode scanning feature (yes, I cross reference against the labeled nutrition facts) and I use a food scale. I recently stopped the cheat meal, but yes I did track it. On my cheat days, my caloric intake would not exceed 3000 calories. Recording used to be pretty easy, as my meals were the same every day. Now my meals are still consistent, but with different macro breakdowns than before.
  • davidparziale
    davidparziale Posts: 8 Member
    @lynn_glenmont I realize the timeline is hard to follow. Some of the time periods I mentioned overlap. I began a fitness challenge this year at the beginning of January until the end of March. In the first 4 weeks, I lost 10 pounds. In the next 4 weeks, I only lost 5. Over the last 4 weeks of the challenge I tried cutting calories again and upping my cardio which didn't work. I haven't lost any weight in the last 6 weeks. My impatience during this phase was because of the competition.