It’s more to weight loss and gain then calories

If that was true why are some people able to eat as much food as they want and remain thin, while others (like myself) can eat in moderation and still gain weight.

Replies

• NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I think genetics plays a huge factor in how easy it is for someone to lose/gain/maintain weight but with some exceptions (for example people with under/overactive thyroids who may need medical help to stabilise their weight) the calories in being less that calories out will result in weight loss and vice versa. Our BMRs may vary quite a lot and combined with varying levels of activity means we all have different nutritional requirements.

Perhaps the people that eat whatever they want don’t actually eat as much as it seems? Maybe they snack a lot but their meals aren’t that big. Or they don’t snack or don’t eat into the evenings like a lot of people do. Perhaps they’re very active or they’re quite anxious people. I suffered with anxiety at uni and lost a fair bit of weight even though I still ate a lot because I was so ‘active’ through my nervous energy meaning I was moving non-stop. (I wouldn’t recommend anxiety as a weight loss technique though!)

One way of eating won’t suit us all, I think we each have to find our own way of tipping the balance towards overall weight loss or gain depending on goals. I think more research into the genetic influence on weight will be really interesting and I’m excited to see what scientists come out with over the next few years. My opinion is that genetics do have a large impact but ultimately we are in control of what we put in to and do with our bodies and some people do need to put in more effort.

In short, calories in vs calories out really is as simple as it sounds, it’s just some people naturally have it easier and some have to work harder but weight loss/gain is totally possible.

The only other thing I would add is if you’re struggling to lose weight and you’re counting calories then look into sauces, portion size, cooking oils etc? Or if you drink things besides water, black coffee or herbal teas what goes into them?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Unless you are following another person around 24/7 weighing all their food, and monitoring their activity tracker, you have no idea what their cals in or out are.

People can look like they don't eat much, and in fact believe they don't eat much, but actually consume a lot of calories. Being a generally active person without going to the gym can actually burn a ton of calories.

People can eat a ton of low cal food or a small amount of really cal dense stuff to get to the same calories.

When I first started, I felt hopeless because I was eating diet foods, avoiding splurges, sure I was eating 1400 cals and more active than most, and couldn't lose weight. Then I got a Fitbit and discovered I was barely getting 5000 steps a day. Then I got a food scale and realized I was actually eating 1800 cals a day. And as i increased my activity level and decreased my calorie level, no one around me noticed anything change, other than that i started losing weight.

We as humans are awful at perceiving our own intake and output, and doubly awful at perceiving others'.

"Moderation" is a word that relies on perception. Two people with different upbringing and lifestyle will visualize a moderate diet and good activity level very differently. For me, and many of us here, the truth came out of months (and years) of accurate and consistent logging, number crunching, and lesson learning.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    If that was true why are some people able to eat as much food as they want and remain thin, while others (like myself) can eat in moderation and still gain weight.

Many people can eat what they want and not gain, because what they want to eat is in line with what they burn (combination of body size and activity).

Many people limit food choice without dieting. Most people think my sister is effortlessly thin, but she is mindful of what she eats, tends to cut back if her clothes get at all tight, and exercises a lot). Many people are very active without conscious exercise too.

Many people do not have a good idea of how much they eat. When I was originally gaining I felt out of control since I'd always eaten what I wanted and stayed the same weight and I was sure I did not eat a lot. When I made myself take stock, I realized that I'd reduced activity quite a bit (crazy job hours instead), and that when I wrote down what I ate and considered the calories, it was more than I thought. Plus, I'm 5'3 and probably have a smaller build, so it's not that hard to eat too much if I'm not active.

Once I started eating mindfully and limiting calories and got my activity level back up, the weight came off just as expected.

Most importantly, comparing yourself to others is not useful. I think a lot of people have in their head that overeating = some personal failing so are very resistant to admitting that that's necessarily the problem. Overeating doesn't mean you area glutton or greedy or not feminine or whatever people worry about, it's just something that can be addressed (often while increasing the actual volume of food and without being hungry).
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    jaymijones wrote: »
    My husband looks at a glance like a person who can eat as much as he wants and never gain. He has maintained the same weight since high school.

We actually tracked his calorie intake while he wore an activity tracker for a few days, because I can watch him eat half a pizza and wonder where he puts it as the scale never budges for him.

Myth busted. He averages a 2400 calorie burn. Those numbers track with several different online calculators and the Fitbit. And he eats an average of 2400 calories a day. If he eats a whole pizza for dinner one night, he’ll usually not be hungry till lunchtime the next day so he skips breakfast entirely.

It’s not that he can eat whatever he wants, it’s that he’s one of those people who can effortlessly eat at maintenance. It is frustrating to watch him eat 3 servings of ice cream in a single sitting, but I also now pay enough attention to know he probably had a light salad for lunch and therefore has the calorie deficit to fit it in.

His big thing now is that he has a family history of diabetes (not weight related) and IBS. He has historically eaten a lot of sugar, and junk, so while I’m counting calories and trying to improve my fitness, he’s paying more attention to how much sugar and processed junk he eats.

Which is just proof that skinny doesn’t always mean healthy.

Mine is the exact same, he started wearing an activity tracker and tracking calories because he wanted to put on more muscle and while it looked like he was always eating, and he was, he just wasn't taking in that many calories. Like yours my hubby is just one of those people that are able to naturally regulate their calorie intake an maintain. My whatever that is is broken so I have to track and watch what I eat, which I plan to do for a long while if not forever after I reach maintenance.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited May 2019
    One of my daughters is tiny looking and people mistakenly think this about her.

She can eat a ton of food in one sitting. Like twice as much as other people. What everyone else doesn't see is that is all she eats the entire day. Some days she barely eats at all.

She has some kind of naturally occurring intermittent fasting thing happening. *She's not underweight FYI. She is very fit/kinda muscular in a feminine way, active, and it's funny to see people's reactions when she gets on a scale and weighs 30-40 lbs more than they expect.